I feel like I am taking steps backwards rather then forwards

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Re: I feel like I am taking steps backwards rather then forw

Post by bk7794 »

Nermin///M3 wrote:
bk7794 wrote:
six wrote:I don't think the number of miles is a good measure of how much "action" you see. Someone driving 15 miles in the city is seeing substantially more shifts per mile than, say, someone making 75 mile trips everyday on the interstate.

Regardless, you can never really have "enough" practice. Even so-called masters, race-car drivers, and truck drivers make mistakes from time-to-time. You eventually just get to a level of proficiency where those mistakes are so few and far between that it really doesn't matter any more. And 16,000 miles is not enough for that, in my opinion, especially if you drive on the freeway a lot. Took me much more.
Alright that is good to know. I wanted to make sure that it wasn't just me being totally inept at shifting my own gears.

A funny story, I was behind a school bus today so I got to have extra practice on my 1>2 shifts.
hehe funy you mention that sometimes i run into traffic infront of me where its kinda stop'n go...normally i would just look around and find an laternative way...but now that i am learning how to drive manual i welcome the opportunity, i just think this will be a good practice right here. :mrgreen:
I hear you, although sometimes its almost like annoying cause I feel like I am just wasting my clutch components.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

bk7794 wrote:I hear you, although sometimes its almost like annoying cause I feel like I am just wasting my clutch components.
You are probably not causing anywhere near as much wear as you think.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

theholycow wrote:
bk7794 wrote:I hear you, although sometimes its almost like annoying cause I feel like I am just wasting my clutch components.
You are probably not causing anywhere near as much wear as you think.
Oh I know, I have been reading up on posts. I was just saying for stopping repeatedly at school bus stops its just a waste of Gas/brake pad material and all the other stuff.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

It definitely is less efficient as a whole. You'd probably be better off parking somewhere for 5 minutes and then catching up to the bus smoothly.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:It definitely is less efficient as a whole. You'd probably be better off hooking up a tow strap to the back bumper of the bus and letting them tow you for a while.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"