Unpredictable RPM During Shifts

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
ashowofhands
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2003 Outback (dad's)

Re: Unpredictable RPM During Shifts

Post by ashowofhands »

bk7794 wrote: I get massive rev hang sometimes when its cold.
Same for me, especially in 1st gear, when i pull out of my driveway and go to shift to 2nd, foot completely off the gas, clutch completely in, and the engine still hovers around 2000-25000 (cold idle in my car is just over 1500). Quite the opposite from what the OP is describing.
mapman85
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Subaru Outback

Post by mapman85 »

Well I think the "headrest camera mount" method should work, but now it will be a matter of both having time to set it up and actually capturing what I have experienced in action. I'll see what I can do.
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i 5MT
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

mapman85 wrote:Well I think the "headrest camera mount" method should work, but now it will be a matter of both having time to set it up and actually capturing what I have experienced in action. I'll see what I can do.
Please try, I am interesting in wondering if it is me...or my car that is having an issue. More then likely its me.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

In my old mr2, the revs used to plummet when cold, which is when you don't want them to since the tranny fluid is cold and etc.... to make the shift nice, the rev drop can be slowed down by touching the gas pedal during the shift (not enough to raise the rpm, only enough to slow/hold it). Rev hang could be created by still being on the gas a little while depressing the clutch.
<3 fwd
mapman85
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Subaru Outback

Post by mapman85 »

Bawked wrote:In my old mr2, the revs used to plummet when cold, which is when you don't want them to since the tranny fluid is cold and etc.... to make the shift nice, the rev drop can be slowed down by touching the gas pedal during the shift (not enough to raise the rpm, only enough to slow/hold it). Rev hang could be created by still being on the gas a little while depressing the clutch.
I'm beginning to think that may be the case. Since the weather has started warming up, it has seemed much less frequent, and I have yet to capture it on video.
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i 5MT
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

mapman85 wrote:
Bawked wrote:In my old mr2, the revs used to plummet when cold, which is when you don't want them to since the tranny fluid is cold and etc.... to make the shift nice, the rev drop can be slowed down by touching the gas pedal during the shift (not enough to raise the rpm, only enough to slow/hold it). Rev hang could be created by still being on the gas a little while depressing the clutch.
I'm beginning to think that may be the case. Since the weather has started warming up, it has seemed much less frequent, and I have yet to capture it on video.
Also I was reading that oil takes about 20-30 minutes to get to its optimal viscosity.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed