Long time lurker, still have questions...

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: Long time lurker, still have questions...

Post by Squint »

Heh, fun side note. Like everyone, stalls still happen sometimes. But 9/10 of my stalls happen when I pull into a parking spot and release the clutch before I turn the vehicle off (leaving car parked in gear, do it if you don't). Oops. :lol: :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Golfer
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Golfer »

But 9/10 of my stalls happen when I pull into a parking spot and release the clutch before I turn the vehicle off
I did that on my first trip to the dealer for the initial oil change. By 10k miles I was thinking I was pretty awesome. Pulled into the shop garage where the service managers greet you, etc....stop car, and juuuust before I turn it off I have a brain fart and release the clutch too soon. Bam! Very embarrassing :oops:
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Golfer wrote:
But 9/10 of my stalls happen when I pull into a parking spot and release the clutch before I turn the vehicle off
I did that on my first trip to the dealer for the initial oil change. By 10k miles I was thinking I was pretty awesome. Pulled into the shop garage where the service managers greet you, etc....stop car, and juuuust before I turn it off I have a brain fart and release the clutch too soon. Bam! Very embarrassing :oops:
My reaction typically has been to get a sheepish look on my face and be like, "oops." And then move on. C'est la vie. :roll: 8) :lol:

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Today I realized that I forgot something...
Golfer wrote:I notice slight resistance going into first even if the car is at a complete stop actually.
...you can avoid that problem by leaving the car in any gear as you come to a stop, obviously declutched, and only shift after you're completely stopped.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

theholycow wrote:Today I realized that I forgot something...
Golfer wrote:I notice slight resistance going into first even if the car is at a complete stop actually.
...you can avoid that problem by leaving the car in any gear as you come to a stop, obviously declutched, and only shift after you're completely stopped.
...and I remembered another option that I do often but usually forget to post: Make note of whatever speed your car goes when idling in 1st gear (maybe 3mph). When approaching a stop, slap the clutch pedal to the floor slightly above that speed (maybe 3.5mph) and the shifter should slide right in.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Cow, you know you're on here too much when you start quoting your own posts :wink: :lol: :lol:

For Pony!