Need some tips

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Need some tips

Post by tankinbeans »

comawhite wrote:I think the only things I really need left to work on is the downshifting (and with H/T), driving in a parking lot and dealing with hills. I can pretty much get my car to go without stalling it. I just know not to drive my car with drinks around me. XD
H-T is fun, but not entirely necessary when you're starting out. I've been driving my car, and a manual transmission in general, since March of 2011 (I'd had some seat time before that, but didn't even try rev-matching) and have only just started trying to learn H-T about 2 months ago. You'll get to a point where you're, more or less, comfortable and can start learning new techniques. Don't try to force the issue or you'll frustrate yourself.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
fr4n
Senior Standardshifter

Post by fr4n »

heel toe is necessary for me
HD clutch and light flywheel
ive tried releasing the clutch smoothly as possible
still puts my head thru the windscreen
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Honda Prelude

Post by comawhite »

Sorry for no updates. I had to go fix my power steering pump in my car. It finally got fixed and I also had to replace the headlights.

Well anyway. I been trying to work on my downshifting in my car around my neighbourhood. I can downshift fine (fine as it doesn't do the sudden stop like feeling), but it does vibrate a bit when I do. I think I might be overmatching the revs by going too high (past the redline). When I blip the gas pedal. It seems like it jumps really high easily. I don't know if this is normal, or maybe I'm just doing it to hard. I guess I need to practise this in the driveway and just barely blip it and fine out how to do 500, 1000, 1500, etc..
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

:shock: Past redline!!! No pinch no pinch!

Your car has no rev-limiter? Or you're shooting past it when your shift is complete? If the latter is the case I'd be inclined to think you're downshifting when the car is going too fast for the desired gear. Either way I'd do exactly what you're doing and learn where your feet need to be and how much gas to shoot into the car.

I think I've met my rev-limiter twice, and both on upshifts (thank whatever higher being you wish to think - I choose Shiva) because the rev-limiter was there to catch it and prevent damage. The same would not be true if I'd met it on a downshift. Too much redline doesn't strike me as a good thing, even in a Honda (whose engines love to be revved). But, what do I know I've only been driving for 8 years and still have a lot to learn.

Have patience though, and be careful, because you'll figure out what works.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter

Post by comawhite »

tankinbeans wrote::shock: Past redline!!! No pinch no pinch!

Your car has no rev-limiter? Or you're shooting past it when your shift is complete? If the latter is the case I'd be inclined to think you're downshifting when the car is going too fast for the desired gear. Either way I'd do exactly what you're doing and learn where your feet need to be and how much gas to shoot into the car.

I think I've met my rev-limiter twice, and both on upshifts (thank whatever higher being you wish to think - I choose Shiva) because the rev-limiter was there to catch it and prevent damage. The same would not be true if I'd met it on a downshift. Too much redline doesn't strike me as a good thing, even in a Honda (whose engines love to be revved). But, what do I know I've only been driving for 8 years and still have a lot to learn.

Have patience though, and be careful, because you'll figure out what works.
Ooops. I mean (not past the redline). It jumped to like 4000 when doing 3 -> 2 at about 30mph or 40mph.
mad_finn
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Cevrolet Caprice STW (at)

Post by mad_finn »

Or learn to do it the easy way, wich causes slightly more stress to sychro's and clutch, Allthough I'd say it will be good for 10 years at least, don't blip the throttle / try to rev match.
From anyone who I know in person, never revmatches their downshifts, (except in a 18 wheelers, and other heavy duty equipment) the car's avarage age here is 17 years, and from those wich are over that 17 years mayby 2% had busted sychros, and 40% have 2nd stock clutchplate (first worn out) and 10% have 3rd, (2nd worn out)

Of course it's better lern to do it the proper way. but you can learn the easy way first, it will not kill it.
13litre engine, 18 speed manual, total weight 36tons.11 years on the road,700k.miles driven
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter

Post by comawhite »

I want to be able to do it smoothly and correct, but I just can't seem to downshift correctly. I either overrev the downshift or underrev it, never right.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

That's normal. You'll improve.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter

Post by comawhite »

theholycow wrote:That's normal. You'll improve.
I know. Right now, it makes me wonder why I ever bought a manual. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy driving a manual car, but at the same time. I just want to kill it. xD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

comawhite wrote:
theholycow wrote:That's normal. You'll improve.
I know. Right now, it makes me wonder why I ever bought a manual. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy driving a manual car, but at the same time. I just want to kill it. xD
Kill it with kindness, that's what I've always been told. And if that doesn't work, use fire. :twisted:

But yeah, you'll be fine, these things just take time.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:Kill it with kindness, that's what I've always been told. And if that doesn't work, use fire. :twisted:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter

Post by comawhite »

Hello guys. I've finally got a little better at downshifting. But, I still afraid of downshifting from 5th to 4th, because I tend to accidently do 5th to 2nd, rather than 5th to 4th. I normally only drive a night time in my car due to lack of traffic. The other problem is I'm too scared to downshift when I am on the freeway, especially when there are cars behind me, because I don't want to mess up a downshift and worry about the person behind my rear-ending me. I just usually am afraid to downshift on freeways and people behind me.

I've gotten better at launching the car (not street racing launching, but normal launching). I still tend to stall once ever 15-20 times. It's a major improvement, since I first started.

I won't lie, I'm still tempted to selling my car, mainly due to lack of funds to fix my timing belt, and afraid of messing up the transmission, and having no job. I won't be able to fix it with lack of funds and be stuck with a broke car. But, I still haven't givin' up on learning manual. Just waiting until I can get a job and have one last then I can go buy another one. D:
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

'Grats.

Stalling is no big deal and downshifting on the freeway is crazy fun. When you go 5-4 pull straight down and apply no sideways pressure. Your springs will center the shifter and you'll be able top slide right in. Don't worry about going into reverse because you'd have to really try to get that to work. I've noticed, in 5 speeds, that there is an almost hooklike lockout so you have to stop in neutral for a fraction of a second and then go right.

As for the timing belt, if it's original and you have over 100k, I can't remember, you definitely want to work on getting that replaced. Just don't sell your car out of fear that you're hurting it by learning. We will all be sad if you do. No lies.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter

Post by comawhite »

tankinbeans wrote:'Grats.

Stalling is no big deal and downshifting on the freeway is crazy fun. When you go 5-4 pull straight down and apply no sideways pressure. Your springs will center the shifter and you'll be able top slide right in. Don't worry about going into reverse because you'd have to really try to get that to work. I've noticed, in 5 speeds, that there is an almost hooklike lockout so you have to stop in neutral for a fraction of a second and then go right.

As for the timing belt, if it's original and you have over 100k, I can't remember, you definitely want to work on getting that replaced. Just don't sell your car out of fear that you're hurting it by learning. We will all be sad if you do. No lies.
I don't know, if the previous owner changed it. That's why I was going to do it. Yeah, my tranny locks me out of 1st and reverse. I remember when coming to a stop and was going to go from 3rd to 1st and it just wouldn't go in.

It's just going and doing it at faster speeds that give me the worry of accidently shoving it into 2nd from 5th doing 70-80mph and overreving. Lucky when I accidently did 5th->2nd (was trying for 4th). It engine braked hard and went to 5K (redline is at 7400rpm).
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

comawhite wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:'Grats.

I don't know, if the previous owner changed it. That's why I was going to do it. Yeah, my tranny locks me out of 1st and reverse. I remember when coming to a stop and was going to go from 3rd to 1st and it just wouldn't go in.

It's just going and doing it at faster speeds that give me the worry of accidently shoving it into 2nd from 5th doing 70-80mph and overreving. Lucky when I accidently did 5th->2nd (was trying for 4th). It engine braked hard and went to 5K (redline is at 7400rpm).
You'll get used to that. I rarely go one gear at a time. If I had your car and needed to pass I'd honestly pop it out of fifth, rev-match into third and go (straight down and straight up; let your springs in your shifter do some of the work). To each his own though. If the car was dealer maintained, you might be able to tell if there are receipts in the glovebox, you can probably call the dealer and ask if that belt was changed - or you can check around online to see if it has a belt or chain. I know that in 95 Accords with a 4 cylinder had belts and with a 6 cylinder had chains. I know they're not the same car, but it might be beneficial to check, if you haven't already.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport