Is there such thing as an impossible hill?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Re: Is there such thing as an impossible hill?

Post by six »

Shadow wrote:
six wrote:Well, technically, there is such a thing as an impossible hill... it's called a wall.

Up, but not over:

Well, technically, there is such a thing as an impossible hill... it's called a cliff.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

six wrote:Well, technically, there is such a thing as an impossible hill... it's called a cliff.
Lies, I can totally drive down a cliff. It's the landing that's the bi#&%.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kayubassist »

with newer cars, most have anti-roll back feature that holds the car for about 3 seconds so it's not that bad.
but i can imagine how challenging it would be tackling a steep hill in a car that does not have this kind of feature.

the real challenge for me is going reverse on a hill.
i feel like i am frying up my clutch every time i go reverse on a hill. it can't be avoided :x
2012 Audi A3 S-Line Titanium 6MT
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

kayubassist wrote:the real challenge for me is going reverse on a hill.
i feel like i am frying up my clutch every time i go reverse on a hill. it can't be avoided :x
I feel ya. I feel bad for my clutch most times in reverse in parking lots because of the stupidly slow nature of how I pull out. Having a small car means I go very slowly because people won't see me coming from behind big trucks/SUVs/whatever. This means I have to clutch out/in very often in reverse since my reverse idle speed is more than 2 mph..

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

RITmusic2k wrote:Anyone here like cranking, revving, pumping?
I'm kind of partial to grinding, myself. :lol: :mrgreen:
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I still have manual bathmophobia and have yet to conquer it. Then again I live in an area that's relatively flat so I guess it's no really big deal. I suppose I could get good at the "get to friction point then stab gas and pray."
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

tankinbeans wrote:I still have manual bathmophobia and have yet to conquer it. Then again I live in an area that's relatively flat so I guess it's no really big deal. I suppose I could get good at the "get to friction point then stab gas and pray."
Heh, I was super worried about hills when I started. Then I lived in WV and the whole area is mountains. So I have no real fear of hills anymore. *shrug*

For Pony!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

tankinbeans wrote:I still have manual bathmophobia and have yet to conquer it. Then again I live in an area that's relatively flat so I guess it's no really big deal. I suppose I could get good at the "get to friction point then stab gas and pray."
It's those steep steep hill, but thats what I am going to do the next time I come to a hill like this.
Squint wrote:
Heh, I was super worried about hills when I started. Then I lived in WV and the whole area is mountains. So I have no real fear of hills anymore. *shrug*
I have as well, going to school that was on a hill, and the exit ramp being a hill off the light I got accustomed to pretty steep hills...these types I just had no practice with whatsoever...
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

Post by SonicHKS »

I take pride in the fact that I've had less rollback than automatics on some very steep hills. There are a few around here that are nearly vertical. Have to give it a lot of throttle and slip the clutch a little more, and careful of it just sitting there and doing a burnout. I haven't really feared a hill in years :lol:.
stickicivi
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2003 Honda Civic LX

Post by stickicivi »

I didn't learn about the parking brake hill start till after I encountered my first couple hills, so I learned fairly quickly on my own. That said I had a lot of trouble the other weekend in Tallahassee. I knew there were hills but I'm like its still in Florida, can't be too bad. Well the hills right around the capital are ridiculous and I had 4 passengers and a full trunk!! I really had to crank the parking brake to keep from rolling back, and I knew I was slipping the clutch a lot on high revs but I managed ok.
2003 Honda Civic LX (manual of course)
Trex 7.2 FX (Bicycle)
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

stickicivi wrote:I didn't learn about the parking brake hill start till after I encountered my first couple hills, so I learned fairly quickly on my own. That said I had a lot of trouble the other weekend in Tallahassee. I knew there were hills but I'm like its still in Florida, can't be too bad. Well the hills right around the capital are ridiculous and I had 4 passengers and a full trunk!! I really had to crank the parking brake to keep from rolling back, and I knew I was slipping the clutch a lot on high revs but I managed ok.
i thought it was flat around the panhandle and hilly in the middle of florida (near orlando etc.)?? of course i've never seen the panhandle (dad lives near clearwater) so what do i know? :lol: :roll: :)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

There's always a hill somewhere. Even in super flat Michigan, you can find hills that give new drivers fits.

Just send them to West Virginia for a couple of months. They'll come back professional hill drivers. :lol: :lol:

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

SonicHKS wrote:I haven't really feared a hill in years :lol:.

A-Hill, A-Hill, A-Hill, A-Hill
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Squint wrote:There's always a hill somewhere. Even in super flat Michigan, you can find hills that give new drivers fits.

Just send them to West Virginia for a couple of months. They'll come back professional hill drivers. :lol: :lol:
I miss me some WV mountain roads