Gotten rusty in technique, or I need a new clutch?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Maggiolone
Junior Standardshifter

Re: Gotten rusty in technique, or I need a new clutch?

Post by Maggiolone »

Shadow wrote:
Maggiolone wrote:
Good to know about where you're holding that clutch - I have an old-fashioned cable shifter, so I can adjust its freeplay.

I'm going to try driving it tomorrow around the neighborhood. Any tips for smooth launches?
I dunno....maybe just practice until you get it smooth. That's really all I can say. Oh, and of course don't worry too much about being too slow with the clutch pedal.
So I decided to dedicate Friday and Saturday afternoons to re-learning manual shift.

Friday I slipped the clutch somewhat; I held it in too long on certain attempts. Saturday was a much better day, although I let another person drive the car and they did say, to my dismay, that the clutch could be slipping :(

I realized in the few times I took out the car before for a quick spin, I was not making full stops at stop signs in my neighborhood. That really threw off my concentration. I noticed I keep wanting to do that, and when i come to an actual stop light, I release the clutch too fast.

Releasing the clutch too fast is now my biggest obstacle in relearning my shifting technique. I keep telling myself to NOT make the car shudder and sluggishly start off in gear.

I also noticed that I have little difficulty when getting the car into 1st from a stop while turning. The car doesn't have power steering, either. Yet, straight take-offs are difficult. I bet this is all in my head.