New to driving stick

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Re: New to driving stick

Post by rml605 »

Yeah, it's just frustrating that I still can't consistently get my 1-2 shift smooth. I probably smooth out maybe 5 or 6 out of 10 1-2 shifts. I think the main problem with my shifts is not getting on the gas quicker and sometimes when I do, for some reason im hesitant to release clutch all the way. At least my rev matches have been near perfect and i've gotten 10x better on them. :D

And it's with cold starts as in right after turning car on. If I just put shifter in 1st and then R, it's fine. But it also grinds even if i've been driving awhile and then need to go in reverse. It's not really a big deal, I can reverse fine and I just throw it in 1st first, I was just concern about the grinding.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

rml605 wrote: If I just put shifter in 1st and then R, it's fine. But it also grinds even if i've been driving awhile and then need to go in reverse. It's not really a big deal, I can reverse fine and I just throw it in 1st first, I was just concern about the grinding.
Sounds like you don't have a reverse synchro. My old Mustangs were like that. I used to zoom up my road and then quickly reverse up my driveway. If I didn't shift into a foward gear before shifting into reverse, I'd always get a nasty ringing sound. That's completely normal for a gearbox that doesn't have a synchronizer on the reverse gear.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Good.

As long as nothings up with my gearbox, it's really not a big deal throwing it in 1st before R.

Also, how bad is it when engaging 1st, you don't give it enough gas and your RPMs falling causing vibration? Im not sure this constitutes as lugging. I've been doing it too much. My clutch catches very quick, and my RPMs fall fast when so, leaving me to slow to give it gas. This has been my biggest problem. Today driving to class in traffic, I botched like 5 straight lol. It seems as if I want to engage 1st at a good speed, my engine does not like gas below 1.5K.
fr4n
Senior Standardshifter

Post by fr4n »

rml605 wrote:Good.

As long as nothings up with my gearbox, it's really not a big deal throwing it in 1st before R.

Also, how bad is it when engaging 1st, you don't give it enough gas and your RPMs falling causing vibration? Im not sure this constitutes as lugging. I've been doing it too much. My clutch catches very quick, and my RPMs fall fast when so, leaving me to slow to give it gas. This has been my biggest problem. Today driving to class in traffic, I botched like 5 straight lol. It seems as if I want to engage 1st at a good speed, my engine does not like gas below 1.5K.
its fine. lugging will sound violently horrible. dont do it too often though, dont want oil pressure to drop too much.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Today I just kept jerking the car forward and letting my RPMs drop going into 1st.

Im still confused on how to properly engage 1st smootly. When should you be fully off the clutch? At like 5mph?
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

rml605 wrote:Today I just kept jerking the car forward and letting my RPMs drop going into 1st.

Im still confused on how to properly engage 1st smootly. When should you be fully off the clutch? At like 5mph?
It depends on the car and other factors. There's no specific speed that you should be fully off the clutch. As a general rule of thumb, you should have your foot off the clutch as soon as you can while still being smooth with your engagement. I know that sounds kinda corny to say it like that, but I'm not sure how to get the point across by saying another way. There's nothing wrong with being slow and deliberate with your clutch engagement, but try not to drag it out more than necessary. As you get more experience, you'll be able to feel just how quickly you can let the clutch pedal up without being too fast or too slow.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

rml605 wrote:Im still confused on how to properly engage 1st smootly. When should you be fully off the clutch? At like 5mph?
For a long time I had difficulty launching my 2008 VW. My left foot would move slowly and linearly until the clutch started grabbing. Once the car started moving decently I figured my left foot's job was done and I'd dump it the rest of the way. Similar action worked on other vehicles I'd driven in the past. In reality, what I really needed to do (and eventually learned to do) for that car was to just completely pause my clutch foot after the car started moving. Only after it was at a decent speed could I resume slowly lifting my left foot.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

theholycow wrote:
rml605 wrote:Im still confused on how to properly engage 1st smootly. When should you be fully off the clutch? At like 5mph?
For a long time I had difficulty launching my 2008 VW. My left foot would move slowly and linearly until the clutch started grabbing. Once the car started moving decently I figured my left foot's job was done and I'd dump it the rest of the way. Similar action worked on other vehicles I'd driven in the past. In reality, what I really needed to do (and eventually learned to do) for that car was to just completely pause my clutch foot after the car started moving. Only after it was at a decent speed could I resume slowly lifting my left foot.
I think your problem was EXACTLY the same with me and my car.

I feel I MUST keep my foot paused on the clutch for like 2 seconds once it engage and then fully release to get it smooth.

Is this okay for clutch wear?

And I also noticed my shifts jerk a little if I don't push in clutch all the way. Sometimes when im going quick I half ass it lol. Can this be the actual cause of jerky shifts?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

rml605 wrote:I feel I MUST keep my foot paused on the clutch for like 2 seconds once it engage and then fully release to get it smooth.

Is this okay for clutch wear?
Yes, it's absolutely fine.
And I also noticed my shifts jerk a little if I don't push in clutch all the way. Sometimes when im going quick I half ass it lol. Can this be the actual cause of jerky shifts?
That could be part of the cause. It's also probably putting a lot of extra unnecessary wear on your synchronizers. That clutch pedal must go all the way to the floor every time you use it.

Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:
rml605 wrote:And I also noticed my shifts jerk a little if I don't push in clutch all the way. Sometimes when im going quick I half ass it lol. Can this be the actual cause of jerky shifts?
That could be part of the cause. It's also probably putting a lot of extra unnecessary wear on your synchronizers. That clutch pedal must go all the way to the floor every time you use it.
When I get lazy, I tend to do the same thing, rml. Just need to try and keep the clutch pedal using its full motion. I tend to get some grinding because when I get lazy, I don't push the pedal down far enough at all. :roll: Good thing it only happens once every couple of months, on average.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Yeah, sometimes I just don't push it down all the way. I stated this a few pages back on how my RPMs are "bouncing" when upshifting, which makes my shifts shaky.

I always thought pausing the clutch when engaging 1st was bad. I tried never to do it, so it made me botch shifts a lot. Now im just pausing it for like 2 seconds and then once I get rolling I get off fully. This seems like the only way to get off clutch smoothly unless you're trying to launch the are fast.

Man, I love how my TSX handles/drives, but damn, no low end torque or no torque what so ever in a stick car blows. I need a faster car next car. :lol:
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

rml605 wrote:Man, I love how my TSX handles/drives, but damn, no low end torque or no torque what so ever in a stick car blows. I need a faster car next car. :lol:
Not necessarily faster, just different. Go test drive a diesel at some point, then you'll never want to give up all that low torque (depending on specific vehicle, etc..).
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

rml605 wrote:Man, I love how my TSX handles/drives, but damn, no low end torque or no torque what so ever in a stick car blows. I need a faster car next car. :lol:
VDub FTW!!!!

edit: just don't get the 2.slow :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

lol I may look into a GTI for my next car, but just those damn VW repair costs!

Oh, and today I grinded 2nd gear 3 straight damn times when shifting quickly! Im near positive foot was all the way down on clutch. It seems as if its with shifting at higher RPMs. I've never grinded any other gear when shifting quickly.

Should I get this checked out?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Make sure there's appropriate type and level of oil in the transmission. If it grinds, these are likely explanations:
1. Shifting too fast for that gear
2. Shifting too fast for that gear's synchro's current state of wear
3. Clutch not releasing fully despite pedal being floored