New to driving stick

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Re: New to driving stick

Post by rml605 »

In 5th and need to get into 2nd for a turn...

What would you guys do?

-5-3-2
-5-4-2
or
-5 DC to 2

Is there any better way for car/clutch or doesn't matter?
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

For turns I go 5 rev match to 3 and rarely go into 2nd for turns.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

I just put the clutch in, throw it into second, brake (all at about the same time), and after I'm slowed down, release the clutch.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I DC my 5->2. Single clutch rev matched block shift or sequential shift ought to be fine in most cars, but I enjoy DCing and my synchros need every little bit of help they can get.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

rml605 wrote:In 5th and need to get into 2nd for a turn...

What would you guys do?

-5-3-2
-5-4-2
or
-5 DC to 2

I'd definitely DC from 5th to 2nd in a situation like that. Downshifting through the gears doesn't make much sense if you're preparing for a turn, unless of course you start downshifting way in advance.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Seems like DS to 2nd takes a little more effort than other gears..well, obviously lol. Which makes it harder, but i've been getting better. Had a beautiful 3-2 DS today and it sounded beautiful, love the feeling of a perfect rev match. :D

Also, i've noticed lately despite my low torque, I can launch my car at low rpm like 1K or so, BUT it takes a slower clutch release. Nothing super slow, but obviously slower. So, what is better for car/clutch, a quicker launch, but gas to 1.5-1.7K or what I said above?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

DCing to 1st is even tougher than DCing to 2nd. :)

It sounds like either launch should be equally ok for the car/clutch.

IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

rml605 wrote:In 5th and need to get into 2nd for a turn...

What would you guys do?

-5-3-2
-5-4-2
or
-5 DC to 2

I utilize both sequential downshifting and block downshifts to the desired gear, depending on whether traffic allows me to slow down gradually and my mood at the time (and I DC all my downshifts). If you do it close to correctly, the difference in wear should be a rounding error and it depends on whether you want to look at engine wear, synchro wear, clutch wear, or brake wear.
rml605 wrote:Also, i've noticed lately despite my low torque, I can launch my car at low rpm like 1K or so, BUT it takes a slower clutch release. Nothing super slow, but obviously slower. So, what is better for car/clutch, a quicker launch, but gas to 1.5-1.7K or what I said above?
It is possible to launch quickly without RPM. Quick clutch release requires more throttle. If you get RPM with it on a normal launch, you didn't get the control inputs and/or timing down perfectly. This, too, is probably really a rounding error in the grand scheme of things, but I do endeavor to keep the RPM down on launches.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

I've never tried heel-toe and never will. I understand that if for road racing where you have to come into a turn hard, downshifting and braking at the same time so you are ready to nail it coming out of the curve. I don't do that kind of driving.

Bad habit perhaps is pulling it out of gear without using the clutch, of course only when the revs match so it slides out easily.

Rev matching is useful on downshifts, especially going into first.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Every once in awhile I'll pull my car our of gear without the clutch by mistake. I'll go to shift, always 4 to 5, and I'll simply forget about the clutch. When it doesn't go in gear I get confused and then embarrass myself at having been a doof.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

I think im getting rev match DS happy, I just love doing it. :lol:

Still never tried DS to 1st and im scared too. :lol:
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Heel-toeing isn't only for aggressive driving, it can be done for fun in other contexts.

I very often shift to neutral without touching the clutch pedal.

rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Got my car up to 6.5K today (RL at 71, should have just went for it lol) to pass a bus...and I got it smooth, but it wasn't the quickest clutch release. Im not sure if this burning the clutch. I don't think I smelt anything, but my window was open.

Everytime I miss a smooth shift, it's because I fly forward. I don't think I ever jerked back in my seat. What is the problem of mine and my clutch catches so quick so im not sure if its get on gas quicker, release faster, getting on gas too soon, etc. I've asked this so many times, but im still not sure lol. It's really my only problem now. 4K+ shifts usually aren't consistent.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

You're getting there. Bouncing off the rev-limiter can be fun; I've done it numerous things. Lately, since the roads have been dry, I've been winding each gear out a little more because I can. 5k shifts are hilarious because nobody expects to be passed when nibbling on their donuts or shipping their lattes.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

InlinePaul wrote:I've never tried heel-toe and never will. I understand that if for road racing where you have to come into a turn hard, downshifting and braking at the same time so you are ready to nail it coming out of the curve. I don't do that kind of driving.
It's not just for racing. It can be useful (and fun) any time you have to (or just want to) brake and downshift at the same time. Of course someone can go his whole life without ever doing heel-and-toe, but then I'd say that he is missing out on one of the joys associated with driving a manual transmission vehicle.