Mis-shifting

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Roger
Junior Standardshifter

Mis-shifting

Post by Roger »

I was bored as hell and looking through youtube videos and there's quite a few videos of people mis-shifting the 3-4 shift and going into 2nd instead. I've never been able to figure out how soo many people stuff up the 3-4 shift. It's straight down.

Anyone have stories about mis-shifting?
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Re: Mis-shifting

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I once accidentally did a full throttle 1>2>5 shift. Felt bad man.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Honda Prelude

Post by comawhite »

noob5,000,000 wrote:I once accidentally did a full throttle 1>2>5 shift. Felt bad man.
That shouldn't hurt the car, eh? I mean it's not like doing 5->2 accidently at 80-mph.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Technique. More often I bet those people fist the shifter and manhandle into gear. Instead, an open palm pull down would nearly eliminate that.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

comawhite wrote:
noob5,000,000 wrote:I once accidentally did a full throttle 1>2>5 shift. Felt bad man.
That shouldn't hurt the car, eh? I mean it's not like doing 5->2 accidently at 80-mph.
Nah it was fine. Probably some extra wear on the clutch, but nothing catastrophic.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

1>2>5 would just feel funny to me. I would have to go so much further (in shifter terms, not really THAT far) to get into 5th than 3rd.

A couple of times when I wasn't paying attention, I would do 3>4>3 because I wouldn't angle up to the right when I shifted. But it's only happened a couple of times.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

Post by SonicHKS »

About the only way I mis-shift is when inconsistency in gear engagement messes up my timing. Like, with shift cables and a transmission that shifts like stirring a bucket of gravel it doesn't shift into gear the same way each time. If I try to shift fast sometimes there'll be a delay going into gear that throws me off. I pretty much know where all the gears are by instinct though so I never really shift into the wrong gear, its been a couple of years since I've done that.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Only time I mis-shift is 3>2 gear downshift.

When I physically move the shifter like I do from 5>6, I always shift to 4th. It's just an awkward motion for me, so I just put in N, then all the way left, then down to 2nd.
fr4n
Senior Standardshifter

Post by fr4n »

rml605 wrote:Only time I mis-shift is 3>2 gear downshift.

When I physically move the shifter like I do from 5>6, I always shift to 4th. It's just an awkward motion for me, so I just put in N, then all the way left, then down to 2nd.
why dont u just pin it towards reverse as you pull the shifter down. its not going to accidentally slip into reverse, ur cars not 30 years old lol
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Honda Prelude

Post by comawhite »

I've misshifted from 5 -> 2 about 4-5 times in a row. But the problem was I was manhandling it rather than just letting it go back to the centre and then moving it down to 4th. Lucky I was only going like 50mph in 5th and when it went into 2nd gear it only revved to 5,000rpms where as redline is at 7400rpms. Just make sure you don't misshift at 60mph (96km/h) and up.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I do 2>5 on purpose once in a great while. I can't think of a week where I consistently hit every gear during upshifts all week. Most of the time I do 12356 or 12346, generally there is a gear that is superfluous to what I need. Of course I'll hold the clutch a second longer so the revs can drop further than they otherwise would.

I can't think of the last time I didn't hit the gear I wanted, aside from an intermittent issue with 4th gear that is difficult to replicate on demand. I gave up trying to get the dealer to do anything about it, rather I live with it. They keep telling me it's technique, but I practice the same shifting patterns all the time and most of the time they are flawless, as far as getting the shifter into the correct place, clutch and throttle balance are another story. Even those are fairly decent. I shift the same in my friend's car as I do in mine, and I've never had the same issue.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!