New Manual Driver - Launching Questions

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Re: New Manual Driver - Launching Questions

Post by daleadbull »

theholycow wrote:
daleadbull wrote:So if you dial in the revs with the clutch in, then smooth non-stop clutch release is the way to go then. That's exactly what I needed to know!
Well, that's for a relatively aggressive launch. For polite launches that won't turn heads (especially that cop sitting in the parking lot nearby), you might want to launch that car near idle RPM (but not no-gas -- more gas and more clutch than a no-gas launch, gives you quicker launch than no-gas without requiring high RPM), which will likely require a paused clutch release. I'm not sure, I know that the 2.0t manages a lot of torque from very low RPM, but I don't know exactly how it compares to the 2.5 NA that I'm used to at idle. Obviously this is as much a personal preference matter as it is anything else, and the best way to know exactly what works for you is to try everything, repeatedly, until you find your favorite.
As with any small displacement engine, low end torque is not abundant but I have no issues with no-gas launches. I'm going to try adding throttle a little earlier than I normally would, I really think that's my issue.
theholycow wrote:
daleadbull wrote:I'm just so afraid of stalling that I'm scared of letting the clutch out without pause. I just need more practice, now to find a good empty place to practice...
Don't be afraid of stalling, it's pretty much harmless. I stalled my 2008 VW about seventy million times before I finally got a handle on that clutch and that drive-by-wire throttle.

By the way, do you have any comments on your DBW, especially having that stage 1 flash?
Funny you should ask that, my throttle response got a lot of better after my APR flash. When I was stock, rev matching was very hit or miss.
2012 VW Golf R
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Did you have any rev hang before the flash, and did the flash eliminate it?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter

Post by daleadbull »

theholycow wrote:Did you have any rev hang before the flash, and did the flash eliminate it?
I might have had some rev hang when I was stock, but I was such a noob that I probably thought it was my shifting. After flash, I don't notice any rev hang but the revs don't drop that fast but that's probably due to the dual mass flywheel.
2012 VW Golf R
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter

Post by daleadbull »

I'm still not very consistent with my launches especially when trying to launch quickly.

I'm getting to the engagement point quickly but my problem is smoothly releasing after that point. Let say I'm revving to a little over 1k RPM around 1200 or 1300 and I release the clutch to the engagement point quickly, then how do I smooth out the rest of the process?

I kinda find myself abruptly dropping the clutch after the engagement point when I start feeling some resistance in the clutch. Are you supposed to feel something in the clutch pedal when you're trying to launch with some revs?
2012 VW Golf R
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I never felt anything at all in my VW's clutch pedal.

I had to smooth my launches by pausing my clutch release at the friction zone for longer than I wanted to.

daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter

Post by daleadbull »

theholycow wrote:I never felt anything at all in my VW's clutch pedal.

I had to smooth my launches by pausing my clutch release at the friction zone for longer than I wanted to.
Up to what launching RPM (roughly) from your experience do you think you need to pause the clutch engagement to prevent stalling?
2012 VW Golf R
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I'd say up to 2000RPM...but your engine may vary.

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

daleadbull wrote:I guess I just need to man up and get over my clutch wear paranoia.
You're probably correct about that one. In my short experience, and knowing what my brother's clutch went through, the car is likely to die before the clutch gives up the ghost or you get bored with the car. His went 250,000 miles with plenty of 5-2 non-revmatched downshifts, and the occasional clutch dump. Granted he had a pretty gutless Corolla, but the concept is probably the same.

They're also not hurrendously difficult to replace. Time consuming yes, difficult (unless AWD is substantially different) not really. Nor are they that expensive, if you work on your own cars.

If you can't smell it, you're doing it right.

EDIT: Where are my manners. WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

theholycow wrote:I never felt anything at all in my VW's clutch pedal.

The more I drive my friend's car, the more I dislike it. I still drive his car occasionally, but his clutch is too easy.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Are you supposed to continue adding gas when reaching the friction point on launches?

I'm the same way OP..fast launches are still a little tricky for me.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Depends on your intent and the results you're getting. If you're trying for a steady-RPM launch and your RPM drops, then yes, add more accelerator. If you're trying for a hard launch and it's not hard enough, yes, add more accelerator.

Can you describe your intent and the actual result?

rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

theholycow wrote:Depends on your intent and the results you're getting. If you're trying for a steady-RPM launch and your RPM drops, then yes, add more accelerator. If you're trying for a hard launch and it's not hard enough, yes, add more accelerator.

Can you describe your intent and the actual result?
Red light or just a regular get moving launch. Nothing racy, your typical launch.
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter

Post by daleadbull »

I might have had a personal breakthrough in this matter. When adding any sort of revs, my car bogs when I pause at the engagement point. I find that she likes it when I slow down the clutch release through the engagement zone instead of coming to a complete stop.

Here's the breakthrough part, as soon as the revs dip does it mean that the clutch is completely hooked up and you can let the clutch out quicker?
2012 VW Golf R
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

daleadbull wrote:Here's the breakthrough part, as soon as the revs dip does it mean that the clutch is completely hooked up and you can let the clutch out quicker?
Not necessarily. I thought it did, and losing that idea was my breakthrough on my VW. In that car, I knew the clutch was completely hooked up when the car stopped accelerating (given that RPM is held constant). Your car may vary.

daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter

Post by daleadbull »

theholycow wrote:I knew the clutch was completely hooked up when the car stopped accelerating (given that RPM is held constant). Your car may vary.
What do you mean stopped accelerating?

Lets say you take the "feel" out of the equation. Just by looking at the tach alone, How do you know its fully hooked up, when the tach dips then comes back up again?
2012 VW Golf R