Dumping vs. fast release

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Dumping vs. fast release

Post by rml605 »

OK, what constitutes as "dumping" the clutch? Does it basically mean like launching when revving your car up and then just basically releasing it fast?

I ask this because I think I FINALLY got my car/clutch down lol. As it catches so quick, getting on the gas right away is what needs to be done. Because of this, i've found I can release the clutch pretty fast on shifts 3-6. I don't know if this bad or what not. Sometimes if my timing is good, I can even do it smooth on 1-2. Now after finally getting it down, I love how my clutch catches. :D
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Re: Dumping vs. fast release

Post by ClutchDisc »

I would say it means revving it up to about 3000 rpm and then releasing the clutch.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

On shifts, you can pretty well do whatever you want with the clutch as long as you're on the money with your timing and/or throttle. Moving it quickly does increase the consequences for sloppiness.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Dumping the clutch is, by definition, a fast release. But still, dumping the clutch is basically when you let it release as fast as it will go, without any modulation by your left foot. Another way to describe dumping a clutch is side-stepping it. To do that, you basically slide your foot off the clutch pedal when it is fully disengaged (pedal to the floor) by moving your foot to the left quickly and "sliding" it off the pedal, allowing the pedal to spring back up and the clutch to engage as quickly as possible.

Edit: I should probably add that when most people refer to "dumping the clutch", they're talking about launching the car, not shifting it.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

It is good to have these discussions once in a while, else we talk about stuff and it ends up not making sense as individuals' definitions drift.

I used to think it was the same as what I call "popping" the clutch, where you slide your foot off it and let it pop up on its own, uncontrolled. One day I asked and was told that it's a fast but controlled release, where you bring your foot up the whole way a lot faster than any other clutch operation you do. Meant that way, you would do it on every perfectly rev-matched shift, as well as on a racing-style hard launch. When I say it, that's how I mean it now.
ClutchDisc wrote:I would say it means revving it up to about 3000 rpm and then releasing the clutch.
I have to say I haven't encountered anyone who made me think they meant anything having to do with RPM when they talked about dumping the clutch. When they want to specify RPM, they do that separately, as in "I revved it up to 3000RPM and then dumped the clutch".

This is why it's good to have these discussions. Have you been confused reading my posts where I say to dump the clutch but it doesn't make sense to mean it that way?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

To me (and I was quoted in the FAQ so I guess it is probably the universal), dumping the clutch is a quick but [semi-]controlled release, while popping the clutch is sliding your foot off. Dumping the clutch is (or at least should be, if you're aiming for minimum clutch-wear) standard operating procedure whenever making a shift. Clutch-in > shift > wait-for-RPM-drop/rev-match > dump-clutch. I could not think of any situation where you would want to pop the clutch.

But I do agree with Shadow when he said that when most people talk about dumping the clutch, they talk about it in the context of launching.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

six wrote:I could not think of any situation where you would want to pop the clutch.
Being a wannabe street racer and thinking you're cool. Usually in some obnoxiously riced out, fart canned, bewinged pile of excrement.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I prefer a fast release during a dump.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

AHTOXA wrote:I prefer a fast release during a dump.
Do you use Milk of Magnesia?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Suppositories are the way to go, my friend.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Why not work it out with a calculator?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Gerard
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Gerard »

Hey guys, long time no post ha.

Ok so I want to make sure I have this correct.

Dumping Clutch: Releasing as fast as possible to minimize slip.
-eg. While upshifting, let revs fall, time it perfect.....let out as quick as possible(left heel off floor and all)? Not harmful if done correct?(timed perfectly)

Popping Clutch: Side step when clutch is pushed to the floor and let the clutch pedal spring up on its own?
-always harmful(drivetrain shock)

** I do the first one a lot. I've gotten so comfortable to the point where I can time it perfect and just release it super fast, not having to rely on slipping the clutch to absorb any shock.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Why not work it out with a calculator?
Or an abacus?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Why not work it out with a calculator?
Or an abacus?
...or a No. 2 Pencil?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:{work it out with}...or a No. 2 Pencil?
Constipated?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD