jerk free shifts

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 WRX 6MT

Re: jerk free shifts

Post by Ewilon1988 »

Sorry to sound dumb, but what's dialing it in mean lol?
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Ewilon1988 wrote:Sorry to sound dumb, but what's dialing it in mean lol?
You're getting close to figuring out how to drive your car in a way that you are happy with. For example, I don't mind a bit of jerkiness, but you prefer more smooth and drama free.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ewilon1988 »

tankinbeans wrote:
You're getting close to figuring out how to drive your car in a way that you are happy with. For example, I don't mind a bit of jerkiness, but you prefer more smooth and drama free.
The jerkiness doesn't bother me all that much. It's just i see my brothers drive my car buttery smooth and it bothers me because I know it can be done. They are shitty teachers and don't want to help which is why I'm on this website lol.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Ewilon1988 wrote: It's just i see my brothers drive my car buttery smooth and it bothers me because I know it can be done.
The Witch's Dorothy, Why didn't you say so?

So your car CAN be driven smoothly?
Well, that's a horse of a different color!

How long have your brothers been Amish and when did you convert?

To drive smoothly can require improving the fine motor skills of your throttle and clutch feet. In piano playing, they call it "Tickling the Ivories". Slushboxes can mask abrupt throttle transitions, but to be Amish means that your throttle foot has to be able to float like a butterfly at times - you become more aware and in control of position and rate of change of the accelerator pedal position.

Similarly, you will develop an inate "Muscle Memory" of where it is the clutch starts to engage and be able to move your foot to that position without "feeling for it".

All this takes time -- you're doing the right things, you just need to not be anxious about it, because it takes time and an accumulation of experience for you to get there.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ewilon1988 »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
Ewilon1988 wrote: It's just i see my brothers drive my car buttery smooth and it bothers me because I know it can be done.
The Witch's Dorothy, Why didn't you say so?

So your car CAN be driven smoothly?
Well, that's a horse of a different color!

How long have your brothers been Amish and when did you convert?

To drive smoothly can require improving the fine motor skills of your throttle and clutch feet. In piano playing, they call it "Tickling the Ivories". Slushboxes can mask abrupt throttle transitions, but to be Amish means that your throttle foot has to be able to float like a butterfly at times - you become more aware and in control of position and rate of change of the accelerator pedal position.

Similarly, you will develop an inate "Muscle Memory" of where it is the clutch starts to engage and be able to move your foot to that position without "feeling for it".

All this takes time -- you're doing the right things, you just need to not be anxious about it, because it takes time and an accumulation of experience for you to get there.
Ty so much. I just need to stop rushing myself while driving and being anxious like you said. Btw the pictures were great lol
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

It's slang for "refining to perfection" and is in general usage, not specific to automotive contexts. You may occasionally encounter it elsewhere.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:
It's slang for "refining to perfection" and is in general usage, not specific to automotive contexts. You may occasionally encounter it elsewhere.
Agree with Moofasa on the definition, I wonder how that phrase originated? Radio dials? My gut reaction wants me to think not related to telephones though that is possible, but I have no idea...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Squint wrote:
theholycow wrote:
Agree with Moofasa on the definition, I wonder how that phrase originated? Radio dials? My gut reaction wants me to think not related to telephones though that is possible, but I have no idea...
http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/dial-in.219171/

tl;dl: it derives from the radio dials. i thought it might have to do with setting a plane to fly or land, or setting a camera for a shot :lol: :roll: :evil: 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

A guy living a few streets down in the neighborhood where I grew up, who was a Ham (Amateur Radio Operator), showed me that his radio had something he called a vernier dial - it took 10 turns of this fine-tuning feature to equal 1 turn of the large tuning dial. Back then, you had to really nail the frequency on the head in order to listen to broadcasts from far away.

Tell me, would you befriend one of the neighborhood kids and teach him something about your technical hobby? Would parents allow their kid to go into some stranger's house? Would I allow some kid to climb as far as he cared to up the 75' antenna tower in my backyard? Times were different back then. To bad how the world has changed.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

One of the things I have lying around for emergencies is a 10-band radio (nominally...The TV band doesn't do a lot since the digital switchover) that has a fine tuning knob inside the main tuning knob, probably primarily for the Short Wave bands.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Times were different back then. To bad how the world has changed.
Its because Mr. Rogers died. I swear by this.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote: Times were different back then. To bad how the world has changed.
Its because Mr. Rogers died. I swear by this.
OMG - I didn't know! Are you sure he's head? Maybe he'll pull out of it. Maybe it's just a coma or sumpin.

Now I feel all bummed-out. Couldn't you have broken the news to me more gradually?
You could have said "I heard Mr. Rogers was in Afghanistan last week"
...and then "I heard he got captured by the Taliban"
...and then "I heard they made him take off his cardigan sweater and slippers and wear a jumpsuit"
...and then "I heard they made a video with some guy cutting off Mr. Rogers' head, but it looked like he felt no pain"
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Pining for the fjords...Is that better?
Cornelius12
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: jeep

Post by Cornelius12 »

If you harshly transmition from acceleration to coast, drag the engine rpm up or down by slipping the clutch. :roll:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casesam Galaxy S7 case