Shifting into second as soon as you get rolling

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Re: Shifting into second as soon as you get rolling

Post by Teamwork »

Ewilon1988 wrote:I tell you this much, that thing drives like its floating on a cloud. It's so damn smooth. I get a nice reality check when I go from my rally car type setup to her car. Makes me only a tad bit jealous
The WRX (2015) for me was borderline too stiff. Not Evo X stiff but could pass as a descendant first cousin. The roads I had to test drive it on were an industrial section of Long Island so they were especially crappy and while the car handled it, it wasn't the best way to showcase a car with sporting intentions. The GTI suspension and architecture which is shared with the A3 (MQB) is one of the best balances and "compromises" I've ever driven in. It's probably one of the biggest selling points for my vehicle I think.
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 WRX 6MT

Post by Ewilon1988 »

My gf actually wanted the GTI before we got the Audi for a steal and I tell you what, I loved the way the GTI drove. I would not have been mad if she had gotten it. I doubt she would have gotten it in a stick shift but can't force her to. I love the WRX. It's not the easiest car to learn to drive standard on though lol. It's a very fun driving car, but these New Orleans roads are HORRIBLE and especially after Katrina.
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ewilon1988 »

I practiced just letting up the clutch when shifting at like 3500 Rpms(ignoring the rev hang) and when I was finished with the clutch the car sorta nose dived. Is that because I didn't add a touch of gas?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Yes. By the time you finished your clutch work your rev hang had ended or canceled. Get on the accelerator pedal a little earlier.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ewilon1988 »

Okay. Thanks Cow! I'd be lost without this forum or would have picked up bad habits.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

Ewilon1988 wrote:I practiced just letting up the clutch when shifting at like 3500 Rpms(ignoring the rev hang) and when I was finished with the clutch the car sorta nose dived. Is that because I didn't add a touch of gas?
I would use symptoms of the tachometer if you can safely identify what's going on while taking a glance. My common issue with 1st to 2nd gear upshift is if I "rushed it" without adding a touch of throttle to the engagement point the rpm's would slam downwards via the tachometer. At first, I thought the only way to get a relatively smooth shift was to wait for the rpms to drop but with rev hang I would literally bog the 1st to 2nd shift but it would be relatively smooth. It just wasn't reasonable though because I could feel myself bleeding off a speed between the upshift and I would get passed by mini-vans. You can be quicker about the upshifts if you add a touch of throttle to smooth things out... it was a big revelation to me. Timing is key though and its going to become muscle memory once done successfully a few times.

I would state again that I would rarely in a leisurely driving situation ever feel the need to rev past 3500 rpm. If anything the only reason I rev to 3500 rpm itself is because I'm being lazy. If I short shift out of 1st and use 2nd gear and wind that out a bit more, overall the car feels better to me and the power doesn't feel as 'rubber-bandy'.
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ewilon1988 »

I have to get used to short shifting 1-2 I guess lol. I was pulling out of a drive through at a coffee house today and felt more comfortable getting up to speed(3500 Rpms or so) then shifting to second but honestly I'm sure I could just short shift and be perfectly okay.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

Ewilon1988 wrote:I have to get used to short shifting 1-2 I guess lol. I was pulling out of a drive through at a coffee house today and felt more comfortable getting up to speed(3500 Rpms or so) then shifting to second but honestly I'm sure I could just short shift and be perfectly okay.
Not saying it's for all cars and I'm honestly unsure but in my experience rev's hang worse the higher you rev it out- especially when you transition in lower gears. If I quickly shift and transition into 2nd (2-2.5k) I usually don't feel it what so ever and I feel like the power/speed is a healthier amount.
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ewilon1988 »

You're right, the longer I wind it out, the longer I have to wait for the revs to fall. I think it's just the mentality of having people behind me and instantly shifting from 1-2 after we start moving. Just a habit I need to break
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

If you get good at shifting quickly (which is easier at low RPM) then the interruption in acceleration doesn't last as long. Additionally if you lay on it harder and use whatever torque you have at that RPM then you'll pull ahead before and after the shift.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ewilon1988 »

That makes sense
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Teamwork »

You're cars not short on power either... it should be able to pull hard in pretty much any non-OD gear a healthy amount. You're also hooked up to symmetrical AWD so you won't have any grip issue either. Day like today for me which has pretty much been 48 hours of rain, a lot of puddles, a lot of slick spots on the road... I pretty much can't launch my car past 1.5k and I short shift even quicker to prevent the engine to revving over 3.5k. I hit 3.5k-4k in any gear 1-4 and I'm setting off alarms, dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree, I just spin tires.

You should also be weary of coordinating your leisure up shifts with the way boost comes on. I think there is more theatrics and sudden surge with the WRX then in my car which is relatively linear but if you need a bit of "oomph", touch the rpm where boost begins and shift. If you're shifting for comfort and fuel economy.. shift just below that point. Ton of variables obviously... and no two situations are really the same.

EDIT: Point being is if you upshift too early for a situation it's not like you need to instantly downshift. You might be able to pull out of a higher gear.
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ewilon1988 »

I know this will sound a bit "noobish", but I actually have no idea when my boost comes on per se. Yeah, my car does pretty well with pulling in higher gears. I never feel like I need to downshift too often to pass someone or something like that
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Unless you have a boost gauge it may be hard to tell depending on how progressively the turbo comes on line, and it's not necessarily a constant RPM. Turbos spool based on exhaust velocity which is related to the load on the engine, so more throttle will spool the turbo at lower RPM than typical and gentle throttle will spool it later.
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ewilon1988 »

It has a boost gauge built in, but I only know how to read what it's currently pushing and my peak I've hit