Reversing in parking garage

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
User avatar
enniroc
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:03 pm
Cars: 2015 Nissan Juke SV

Re: Reversing in parking garage

Postby enniroc » Sun May 08, 2016 7:46 pm

Rope-Pusher wrote:Sure, that's all fine for level, paved ground, but try that pushing a trailer up a grassy hill and you'll build up too much heat in the clutch. That's why Dog invented gear ratios, to spare the clutch.


My 6 gears & I have come a long way in the past 9 months, but today I had to reverse up a long, steep. narrow driveway. I couldn't bring myself to let off the clutch completely for fear of hitting a tree. First time I've smelled burning clutch since I got my car.

Will everything be OK as long as I promise to never, ever do that again?

What should I have done?

IMBoring25
Moderator
Posts: 3266
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:01 pm
Location: OK, USA

Re: Reversing in parking garage

Postby IMBoring25 » Sun May 08, 2016 7:56 pm

It shouldn't be serious damage in most cases doing something like that once.

If you aren't comfortable getting enough speed to get off the clutch, you have very little alternative. The only definite arrow in your quiver at that point would be to keep the engine RPM very low. If you have time on your hands you can also do the climb incrementally, sitting idle in between.

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3704
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 300S, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Reversing in parking garage

Postby tankinbeans » Sun May 08, 2016 8:04 pm

If it's a long, steep hill you might want to let out completely. You don't really need gas and won't be going as fast as you think.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15962
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: Reversing in parking garage

Postby theholycow » Sun May 08, 2016 8:19 pm

It's best to plan ahead to avoid that situation. Once you're there and it's too late you can let that clutch pedal all the way up and then brake down to a little below idle if you want, but sometimes you just need to cowboy up.

Anyway you didn't hurt anything. Even if you had (which you haven't), there'd be no sense worrying about it now.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

User avatar
enniroc
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:03 pm
Cars: 2015 Nissan Juke SV

Re: Reversing in parking garage

Postby enniroc » Tue May 10, 2016 5:49 am

IMBoring25 wrote:It shouldn't be serious damage in most cases doing something like that once.

If you aren't comfortable getting enough speed to get off the clutch, you have very little alternative. The only definite arrow in your quiver at that point would be to keep the engine RPM very low. If you have time on your hands you can also do the climb incrementally, sitting idle in between.


Thanks! Looking back, I do wish I had stopped mid-way up the hill.

User avatar
enniroc
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:03 pm
Cars: 2015 Nissan Juke SV

Re: Reversing in parking garage

Postby enniroc » Tue May 10, 2016 5:50 am

tankinbeans wrote:If it's a long, steep hill you might want to let out completely. You don't really need gas and won't be going as fast as you think.


Got it-- thanks. I couldn't figure out in the moment whether letting it out completely would stall me or send me careening into a spruce.

User avatar
enniroc
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:03 pm
Cars: 2015 Nissan Juke SV

Re: Reversing in parking garage

Postby enniroc » Tue May 10, 2016 5:55 am

theholycow wrote:It's best to plan ahead to avoid that situation. Once you're there and it's too late you can let that clutch pedal all the way up and then brake down to a little below idle if you want, but sometimes you just need to cowboy up.

Anyway you didn't hurt anything. Even if you had (which you haven't), there'd be no sense worrying about it now.


Thanks-- I figured this is what you'd say, but that burnt smell is like a doubt potion.

Wondering now how long the smell will linger and whether that's any indication I should get it looked at. Reversing episode happened Sunday. Biked to work yesterday, but took the car out for groceries last night. Caught a little whiff when I was parking last night-- only about 10-20% of what I smelled on Sunday, though. Car seems to be running fine, but it seems I now need to hold the clutch a fraction of a second longer when shifting into first.

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3704
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 300S, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Reversing in parking garage

Postby tankinbeans » Tue May 10, 2016 7:19 am

enniroc wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:If it's a long, steep hill you might want to let out completely. You don't really need gas and won't be going as fast as you think.


Got it-- thanks. I couldn't figure out in the moment whether letting it out completely would stall me or send me careening into a spruce.

If anything you'd probably need to feed it a little gas on the way up because you're fighting against gravity. You'd just have to play it by feel. If the car is getting shaky your revs are too low and you should apply throttle; just pay attention to the car and you'll be golden.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15962
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: Reversing in parking garage

Postby theholycow » Tue May 10, 2016 12:24 pm

enniroc wrote:it seems I now need to hold the clutch a fraction of a second longer when shifting into first.

That's subjective and easily mistaken via paranoia/hypochondria. That kind of thing happens to me sometimes. Then I wait it out, and either I forget about it and everyting's fine or it gets severely worse and I decide it needs fixing.

If it is real, it might be that the clutch got glazed. The remedy is to just drive normally until the glazed surface wears off.

One other possibility is that there is air in the clutch hydraulic fluid, maybe from bad luck, maybe from fluid boiling and fractioning off (which might be possible with the concentric release bearing in modern cars), maybe from a seal that allowed air in while it was overheated (again, might be possible with concentric release bearing). One easy solution that usually works is also a good maintenance idea either way: The no-tools fluid replacement/bleeding. It's so easy a caveman could do it. Here's how you do it:

1. Buy a 32oz bottle of DOT3 brake fluid (most clutches specify that, but do check your owner's manual). It's $6.50 at Walmart. Buy a turkey baster, $1.

2. Open the clutch reservoir. Your owner's manual will have an ilustration showing where it is, under the hood near the steering column. Use the turkey baster to remove all the fluid that you can and pour in clean fluid. (Dispose properly, please.)

3. Pump the clutch pedal 25-200 times while watching for cloudy or dirty fluid to come up, and especially watch for air bubbles to come up. If air bubbles come up visibly then you know it needed to be bled, severely. As the cloudy/dirty fluid appears, turkey baster it out and replace with fresh fluid again until it always looks good or you're tired of doing it.

That's all there is to it.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

User avatar
enniroc
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:03 pm
Cars: 2015 Nissan Juke SV

Re: Reversing in parking garage

Postby enniroc » Tue May 10, 2016 4:39 pm

theholycow wrote:
enniroc wrote:it seems I now need to hold the clutch a fraction of a second longer when shifting into first.

That's subjective and easily mistaken via paranoia/hypochondria.


Autochondria. Heh. I was wondering about that.

I would guess that I glazed the clutch, but hey-- ZERO smell today. All gone. Encouraging. I was once a passenger in a car with a busted clutch and it smelled continuously. (Ugh.)

I'll give it a few days and if everything doesn't seem back to normal, I'll try your fluid trick. Never knew I could do that. Thank you!

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10505
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Reversing in parking garage

Postby Rope-Pusher » Tue May 10, 2016 9:36 pm

Just as men were designed with testicles that are highly sensitive to injury, that in order to avoid a repeat performance of the severe pain we take better care of them in the future, so it is with burnt clutch smell.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
enniroc
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:03 pm
Cars: 2015 Nissan Juke SV

Re: Reversing in parking garage

Postby enniroc » Tue May 10, 2016 9:42 pm

Rope-Pusher wrote:Just as men were designed with testicles that are highly sensitive to injury, that in order to avoid a repeat performance of the severe pain we take better care of them in the future, so it is with burnt clutch smell.


Duly noted!

Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:49 pm
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Re: Reversing in parking garage

Postby Teamwork » Wed May 11, 2016 3:23 pm

I was reading through this all and wondering if my reverse technique - has been done the correct way also? I don't have to reverse up a moderate distance into my driveway but I do have to apply throttle to get up the incline at an angle. When I reverse on level ground like say for instance out of a parking spot I would basically just blip the throttle "go into the friction point" for a second and then fully floor the clutch and just rinse and repeating this until I could safely negotiable the traffic variables and pull myself out of the parking spot. I realize that when I reverse up into the spot for my driveway that I typically just hold the clutch into the friction point while controlling the throttle (at a low rpm) steadily and never really fully lifting off or flooring the clutch until I stop completely. I don't have to go an extreme distance, probably under 15 feet but I am pretty much riding in the friction point the entire time. Should I stop doing this and use the technique I use normally or is it safe to continue doing this?

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10505
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Reversing in parking garage

Postby Rope-Pusher » Wed May 11, 2016 10:01 pm

Teamwork wrote:I was reading through this all and wondering if my reverse technique - has been done the correct way also? I don't have to reverse up a moderate distance into my driveway but I do have to apply throttle to get up the incline at an angle. When I reverse on level ground like say for instance out of a parking spot I would basically just blip the throttle "go into the friction point" for a second and then fully floor the clutch and just rinse and repeating this until I could safely negotiable the traffic variables and pull myself out of the parking spot. I realize that when I reverse up into the spot for my driveway that I typically just hold the clutch into the friction point while controlling the throttle (at a low rpm) steadily and never really fully lifting off or flooring the clutch until I stop completely. I don't have to go an extreme distance, probably under 15 feet but I am pretty much riding in the friction point the entire time. Should I stop doing this and use the technique I use normally or is it safe to continue doing this?

Is there any clutch smell associated with this maneuver?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:49 pm
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Re: Reversing in parking garage

Postby Teamwork » Thu May 12, 2016 2:09 am

Rope-Pusher wrote:Is there any clutch smell associated with this maneuver?

Negative for either... I would definitely notice too- I pretty much keep my front windows cracked year round even in the winter.


Return to “Manual Driving Tips”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest