Shifting into 2nd, 4th, and 6th feel mushy?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Shifting into 2nd, 4th, and 6th feel mushy?

Post by rml605 »

Long time no talk here lol

so got new clutch around 10K ago, i'll admit, it took some time breaking it in and since my friction point is all the way down I did grind gears some times, mainly 2nd and 4th. Never 6th though. These gears feel physcially different shifting into then 1, 3, 5 idk why. No slippage though. But,Today for first time I want to DS from 3rd to 2nd and my car wouldnt go. Just went into N, couldnt even get it into 2nd. So I stopped and went to 1st then into 2nd at light and no issues. Again, tried to go into 2nd from another gear, even DCing into N first and couldnt, what the hell?

really getting nervous now...im thinking at any point my 2nd is going to go and syncros are just as expensive as clutch, no?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Shifting into 2nd, 4th, and 6th feel mushy?

Post by theholycow »

If your new clutch was grabbing at the bottom, I'd suspect something was wrong with it and that's getting worse now.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

My old clutch was same with low point. My pedal travel time is short as is.

Well today seems as if I can DS to 2nd but only going into N first. Can't directly from 3rd. Maybe it just feels different and I'm not shifting it into 2nd and keeping foot on clutch too long which causes it to go into neutral
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

You might have a release system issue. Does the grab point move if you pump the pedal? How is the reservoir level?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

So,....what are you driving, what is the shift pattern, is the side-to-side freeplay in 3rd gear equal to each side?

That low release point bothers me - it just aint natural. Makes me think there is an air bubble in the hydraulics....or in the release cable!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

So try pulling out of GFs driveway and can't into R

We push my car out and drive around and only 1,3,5 work not sure about 6th.. Didn't want to take chance so just going to get it towed.. Any ideas? Only top gears working.

Since my OP about week back from it got my car valeted and heard him rev it really loud in reverse.. Could he have damaged the linkage? Horrible with car mechanics lol so just want to know if there's any linkage that can be damaged that causes only certain gears to not work
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

The valet's failure at fine throttle control wouldn't hurt the linkage, but if it was a symptom of general underqualification for driving manual then he could have yanked too hard on an already flaky linkage and hastened its already imminent demise. It certainly does sound like a linkage problem now.

Potential alternatives:

- Engine or transmission mount is messed up, so transmission sits in wrong place and linkage is still mounted where it should be, resulting in apparent linkage failure.

- Shift fork? RP, are all shift forks along the longitudinal shift (1/2 fork, 3/4 fork, 5/R fork) or do some gearboxes have it transverse (1/3/5 fork, 2/4/R fork)? Did I even come anywhere near close to using the right terminology to explain that question?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

I've been researching and seems like a lot of Hondas (mines Acura but assume similar mechanics) the 2-4-R forks are shared.

I'm guessing something with linkage.. Is this a pricey fix?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

which acura is this??
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

potownrob wrote:which acura is this??
04 TSX

brand new clutch put on like 25k ago as well :(
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

rml605 wrote:
potownrob wrote:which acura is this??
04 TSX

brand new clutch put on like 25k ago as well :(
:shock: :shock: :shock:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

From what I've been able to gather, your shifter pushes on the Shift cable shifting into 2nd, 4th, 6th and Reverse and pulls on said cable shifting into 1st, 3rd and 5th.

It could be that the casing, or conduit of the cable is not securely attached to the front of the shifter base (inside the car, in the center console) or to the reaction bracket (mounting bracket at the transmission, underhood). Have someone push the shift knob toward 4th gear position as you watch underhood - does the cable back away from the bracket? Might there be a clip or screw missing allowing it to do this?

Check at the shifter to see if the cable housing moves forward, away from the shifter body during shifts into 4th. IF it moves at either end, secure it.

It may also be that the support tubes at either the shifter or the trans end have failed and the inner wire of the cable is flexing excessively. It could be that the tube has fractured, or that its swivel end has popped out of the cable conduit end-fittting. That would really be begging for a new set of cables, but in the link below, someone has come up with a (fix (temporary?) for this issue.

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-e ... l-tsx.html
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Forgot to mention, but exposure of the gearshift cables to high temperatures can also lead to mushy-feeling shifting, but in your design that would have been more likely to affect shifting into 1st, 3rd, and 5th (Tension in the Corewire, Compression in the Conduit).

C.A. Bunga: Yes, they tend to share one (1) shift fork between 1st and 2nd, one between 3rd and 4th, and one between 5th and 6th. Which shift fork you actuate depends on which you Select by cross-car movement of the shift knob (which actuates the "Select" cable). The "Shift" cable is actuated as you move the shift knob fore and aft, and which way you rotate the shaft on the transmission will determine which of the two gears a given fork is moved toward.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

welp...snapped cable by transmission..

prob caused by me those times grinding 2nd :(
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I don't think you failed the cable by "grinding 2nd". I'd say that the cable failed, maybe not severely at first, and this caused incomplete engagement into 2nd that resulted in the synchronizer sleeve bouncing off the tips of the 2nd gear clutching teeth and that was the "grinding" noise you heard / felt.