Shifting into 2nd, 4th, and 6th feel mushy?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:04 pm

Re: Shifting into 2nd, 4th, and 6th feel mushy?

Postby rml605 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:40 am

So got to my house yesterday, thankfully made it home from work, and cant get shfiter into any gear. This is months after cable replaced. I can yank it into gear but will just viciously grind which i had to do once or twice to move it in place. If i throw it into gear with car off and then then try go, it works fine in 1st or w/e but physically cant get shifter into gear from N with car on. Did my cable snap again? How is this possible?

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: Shifting into 2nd, 4th, and 6th feel mushy?

Postby theholycow » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:42 am

Sounds like clutch not disengaging fully. Does the clutch pedal feel any different? If you park on a slight hill in gear and step on the clutch does the car roll?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

rml605
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:04 pm

Re: Shifting into 2nd, 4th, and 6th feel mushy?

Postby rml605 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:59 am

theholycow wrote:Sounds like clutch not disengaging fully. Does the clutch pedal feel any different? If you park on a slight hill in gear and step on the clutch does the car roll?

Well, like I said, if I turn car off and put in gear, then turn on and go in 1st, it engages into first fine. Clutch feels pretty much same.

Another thing is, when I am physically moving shifter and it's being blocked from going into gear my whole car moves forward and back.

rml605
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:04 pm

Re: Shifting into 2nd, 4th, and 6th feel mushy?

Postby rml605 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:13 pm

So I got it towed to a mechanic and he was able to "pump" the clutch then it will shift, but you have to do thatevery time. He said my master slave was never replaced when I had my clutch replaced last time which is BS they didnt do it at another place, but w/e.

However, he's saying master slave hydraulic would cost around 550-600. isnt that way high? I pretty much have no choice because its by my GFs house and I live 45 miles away. Getting it towed to my mechanic by me would run me however much and not even worth it. Damn it.

actually might be price for slave and master slave which wouldnt be bad then.

IMBoring25
Moderator
Posts: 3283
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:01 pm
Location: OK, USA

Re: Shifting into 2nd, 4th, and 6th feel mushy?

Postby IMBoring25 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:17 pm

That sounds pretty spendy for an external slave replacement. It would be one thing (and the comment about doing it at the same time as the clutch would make sense) if you had a concentric slave and they'd have to drop the tranny, but the TSX has an external slave. I recall it taking me about four hours to do the external slave on the 'Vette, which I guarantee has worse access.

User avatar
InlinePaul
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1456
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2001 S10 2.0L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: Shifting into 2nd, 4th, and 6th feel mushy?

Postby InlinePaul » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:09 pm

rml605 wrote:So I got it towed to a mechanic and he was able to "pump" the clutch then it will shift, but you have to do thatevery time. He said my master slave was never replaced when I had my clutch replaced last time which is BS they didnt do it at another place, but w/e.

However, he's saying master slave hydraulic would cost around 550-600. isnt that way high? I pretty much have no choice because its by my GFs house and I live 45 miles away. Getting it towed to my mechanic by me would run me however much and not even worth it. Damn it.

actually might be price for slave and master slave which wouldnt be bad then.


What kind of car is it? Ford, Chevy, Chrysler should not be that expensive. I would guess that foreign cars might be a lot more money for parts and labor, especially things like Volvo, Mercedes, BMW etc.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10578
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Shifting into 2nd, 4th, and 6th feel mushy?

Postby Rope-Pusher » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:38 am

rml605 wrote:Well, like I said, if I turn car off and put in gear, then turn on and go in 1st, it engages into first fine. Clutch feels pretty much same.

Another thing is, when I am physically moving shifter and it's being blocked from going into gear my whole car moves forward and back.

This last line makes it seem for sure like you are trying to shift it into gear without the clutch being disengaged. The synchronizer is trying to synchronize the vehicle speed with the engine speed by acting as a clutch and driving the vehicle. If you don't press the clutch pedal at all, does it react the same way when you try to shove the shifter into 1st?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"


Return to “Manual Driving Tips”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests