Did i burn the clutch ?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
tiptopd
Junior Standardshifter

Re: Did i burn the clutch ?

Post by tiptopd »

Rope-Pusher wrote:They didn't have enough clutch to do the job. You need the clutch's ability to transmit torque to be greater than the engine's ability to produce torque. If the clutch can't transmit all that the engine can procduce, it will slip. Slipping under a high torque load and lots of RPMs makes lots of heat, which will overheat the friction surfaces of the clutch disk. The flywheel will absorb some of this heat, but the pressure plate is generally less massive and will get hotter and not absorb as much heat. You can see this sometimes in tht the pressure-plate side of the friction disk tends to wear more or get glazed more than the flywheel side. If the pressure plate gets too hot, it can fracture from the stress of uneven expansion.
oh i see :o what about dual mass flywheels, DMF do they fail because of the heat they absorb ? or is it shocks and vibrations like lugging, idling since there are more vibrations ?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tiptopd wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:They didn't have enough clutch to do the job. You need the clutch's ability to transmit torque to be greater than the engine's ability to produce torque. If the clutch can't transmit all that the engine can procduce, it will slip. Slipping under a high torque load and lots of RPMs makes lots of heat, which will overheat the friction surfaces of the clutch disk. The flywheel will absorb some of this heat, but the pressure plate is generally less massive and will get hotter and not absorb as much heat. You can see this sometimes in tht the pressure-plate side of the friction disk tends to wear more or get glazed more than the flywheel side. If the pressure plate gets too hot, it can fracture from the stress of uneven expansion.
oh i see :o what about dual mass flywheels, DMF do they fail because of the heat they absorb ? or is it shocks and vibrations like lugging, idling since there are more vibrations ?
DMF failures would really be specific to the design. Yes, some will go into a destructive resonance at sub-idle engine RPM, so there may be a fuel cut-off to prevent this from happening - can result in "Why did it stall this time?" soul searching.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tiptopd
Junior Standardshifter

Post by tiptopd »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
tiptopd wrote:
DMF failures would really be specific to the design. Yes, some will go into a destructive resonance at sub-idle engine RPM, so there may be a fuel cut-off to prevent this from happening - can result in "Why did it stall this time?" soul searching.
yeah new tdi engines from 2009 and up do that as far as i know. Mine is a 2007 and it doesn't, often i idle away from a stop in first just like many tdi owners but i wonder if the DMF hates that :? it isn't that it is lugging or shuddering badly but there are slightly more vibrations down low