Ebrake start with foot brake?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
bobklobb
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1999 Saturn SC2

Ebrake start with foot brake?

Post by bobklobb »

So in my lurking I had done some reading about hill starts using the handbrake. My question is, does anyone still do that if they have the foot operated parking brake? I would assume not, due to having to reach down to pull the release but I could be wrong. The truck I'm getting has this style brake, and I didn't trust the brake in the Mustang I had in high school to actually disengage so I never used or even practiced that method, although it would have helped a few times.
IMBoring25

Re: Ebrake start with foot brake?

Post by IMBoring25 »

It can be done and I've been known to do it occasionally. It does require you to be more confident in your footwork since you can't gradually release it or easily reapply it.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

The release is hand-operated either way (unless it's the step on / step off style), but it's uncontrolled with the hand release of the foot pedal if that matters to you. I occasionally do it but it's rare and usually just to stay in practice. There's no need for using the parking brake for hill launches whether it's a hand lever or foot pedal; if it's easier for you then enjoy it, but otherwise it is mechanically the same, both prevent the car from moving while you begin to slip the clutch until the clutch is grabbing enough to prevent the car from rolling back.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

That's a good point too. Clutch alone will hold my truck on a pretty substantial hill and I would expect a Dakota to be similar.