First Manual Car Owned-Smoothing Out Upshifts

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Re: First Manual Car Owned-Smoothing Out Upshifts

Post by Teamwork »

This car can be difficult to rev match at times as the throttle feels extremely disconnected to the amount of rev's being applied. Similar pressures, variables, instances- they all feel inconsistent. I've voiced this concern when I was really new here but at this point I pretty much understand that there will be times I can't rev match perfectly spot on. There's even times where I know no matter how hard I stab the throttle that it won't be enough so I'll even guide the rpm's up and hold the throttle a little. I'm not saying I don't attempt too but I'll let off the clutch slower as opposed to dumping the damn thing. I mean in safe occasions where I can really watch the revs and see where it's at I might dump it out pretty quick knowing it's pretty spot on the rev match but if I'm in doubt I'll roll off it slower.

I'm sure there's plenty of people who make minimal effort to rev match period and there car/clutch have plenty of life. I wouldn't worry about it so much unless you're over revving that drastically. You'd probably be met with some horrible smells in this instance also.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I'd say the only instance where a bang on rev-match is necessary would be racing. During street driving close is usually good enough as the differences in rotation aren't likely to be yooj (unless you're doing a multi-step downshift such as my 6>3 going into turns).

My, ahem, never bothers and the last manual he drove lasted 270k (160k of which were his) with the original clutch. His downshifts went like this: 1) decide a downshift was necessary, 2) disengage clutch, 3) select desired gear, 4) reengage clutch and listen to the engine whine as the clutch struggled to drag the speed down.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

tankinbeans wrote:I'd say the only instance where a bang on rev-match is necessary would be racing. During street driving close is usually good enough as the differences in rotation aren't likely to be yooj (unless you're doing a multi-step downshift such as my 6>3 going into turns).

My, ahem, never bothers and the last manual he drove lasted 270k (160k of which were his) with the original clutch. His downshifts went like this: 1) decide a downshift was necessary, 2) disengage clutch, 3) select desired gear, 4) reengage clutch and listen to the engine whine as the clutch struggled to drag the speed down.
I would say my timing and technique really is to over rev by a few hundred and lift off the clutch smoothly but steadily. I'm not sure if anyone would find fault in this but the reason why I "over-rev" a bit is because by the time I get through the friction point on this huge clutch throw the revs will have dropped a bit in that time. I don't have the guts to just dump it a lot of the time, the only thing that would be even close to a dump to me is upshifting into 5th and 6th where revs seem to drop quick and the ratios are very closely spaced.

Me rev matching from 3rd to 2nd per se basically requires "guiding the throttle/revs up" to the point where I need it to be or I will almost always under rev when blipping.