Jerking back and forth when getting car going from stop (N to 1st)

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
amucinom
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: Volkswagen Golf GTI 2016

Jerking back and forth when getting car going from stop (N to 1st)

Post by amucinom »

Hey guys!

I'm glad I found this forum! I'm a stick shift noob, just got my 2016 Golf GTI about a month ago, and I've been making really good progress! :D
I've got a question for you stick shift gods. Recently, when getting the car going from a stop, just like I've been doing since my dad taught me, get the clutch to the friction point, apply gas, and get it going smoothly. However, 3 out of 10 times that I do that, the car will jerk back and forth. The car's not making any bad sounds or anything, but I was wondering if its something that I'm doing? Maybe applying way more gas than needed? Letting the clutch out too late or too soon?

Again, feels great to finally be a part of this community.

Cheers!
2016 VW Golf GTI 8)
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Jerking back and forth when getting car going from stop (N to 1st)

Post by theholycow »

That sounds like too much clutch/not enough gas. Right now, if you want to make sure that it never happens then you'll probably be too revvy and slow getting launched. With practice you'll be able to walk that line more finely, controlling engine speed perfectly with clutch engagement.

You might practice some no-gas launching as a foot training exercise. There is a somewhat detailed explanation in the "meta sig" link in my sig.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Welcome.

For one thing, some describe it as a friction zone, not a friction point, because there's travel between the point where the clutch first touches and where it clamps tightly enough to effectively lock everything together. The size and grip characteristics in that zone vary from one vehicle to the next, but there should always be a zone.

When a launch isn't smooth for a beginner it's usually because the clutch is coming all the way up too fast. You probably need a little slower travel through the friction zone, maybe even a little more pause.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I can say this, because I was beyond paranoid about burning up the clutch by longering too long, don't worry about burning it up during a launch (obviously don't tarry at the pedal, but you don't have to treat it like an on/off switch). Unless you're really beaning it for a launch you won't likely create enough heat to do damage. In time you'll get the right mix down and will be able to use more finesse.

I believe most of the issues beginners face is an overabundance of caution vis-a-vis the clutch.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Some call this effect the "bucking bronco". Usually, when this happens to me (still happens on rare occasions, believe it or not), I just clutch in and shift to second and "relaunch". Not a big deal at all, only bruises your ego a bit. With practice, it becomes a once-in-a-blue-moon event :)
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
amucinom
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: Volkswagen Golf GTI 2016

Post by amucinom »

Thank you guys for the input! I will keep practicing every day so really cement these habits.

Today while driving to work, I really paid attention to what I was doing, and by keeping it in the friction zone a little longer, I didn't get the rocking back and forth anymore, so I'll keep doing that!
2016 VW Golf GTI 8)
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

amucinom wrote:Hey guys!

I'm glad I found this forum! I'm a stick shift noob, just got my 2016 Golf GTI about a month ago, and I've been making really good progress! :D
I've got a question for you stick shift gods. Recently, when getting the car going from a stop, just like I've been doing since my dad taught me, get the clutch to the friction point, apply gas, and get it going smoothly. However, 3 out of 10 times that I do that, the car will jerk back and forth. The car's not making any bad sounds or anything, but I was wondering if its something that I'm doing? Maybe applying way more gas than needed? Letting the clutch out too late or too soon?

Again, feels great to finally be a part of this community.

Cheers!
2015 VW GTI here who also had some "hard transitions". I admittedly didn't read the other replies but I can nearly guarantee that it's a combination of how much gas you're giving it and how fast you are coming off the clutch. You're coming up too quickly out of the friction zone and you are probably spotty with the gas (in the sense that maybe you aren't setting it well or not giving it enough). It took me a long time to really get the timing down of how long to "pause" on the friction point but I would even go out on a limb to say it feels around 5 seconds. I definitely let up my fair share of times too quickly or set the gas and let it drop which caused a "bucking bronco" mess. I hated feeling that more than stalling even. On leisure/casual launches I really only raise the RPM's to about 1100-1200 rpm (that is really all).

Goodluck man!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

six wrote:Some call this effect the "bucking bronco". Usually, when this happens to me (still happens on rare occasions, believe it or not), I just clutch in and shift to second and "relaunch". Not a big deal at all, only bruises your ego a bit. With practice, it becomes a once-in-a-blue-moon event :)
Ah I do this quite often. Sometimes if I give it too much gas I just end up throwing it in second and continuing from there.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed