How to Drive a Manual Video - The Smoking Tire

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
MidnightInGotham
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 GTI

Re: How to Drive a Manual Video - The Smoking Tire

Post by MidnightInGotham »

When going between 1 and 2 and further gears, I noticed that he engages the clutch fairly slowly and adds gas. I believe the see saw into higher gears is kind of an old school methodology and not needed in newer cars (or I believe I've read that).

I typically come off the clutch really quick between gears, like nearly dumping the clutch. Is thag poor form and should I be going slower when engaging the clutch between gears? And add throttle?
2016 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn Performance Pack
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

There's more than 1 way to skin a cat, but at the end of the day the cat is skinned. In the end the correct way is whichever way gets the job done.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
MidnightInGotham
Junior Standardshifter

P.s. Here is part two for blip downshifts

https://youtu.be/MhuLnE6iJSc
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

MidnightInGotham wrote:I typically come off the clutch really quick between gears, like nearly dumping the clutch. Is thag poor form and should I be going slower when engaging the clutch between gears? And add throttle?
Is the result smooth enough for your preference, and otherwise satisfactory? If so, then enjoy.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

If your rev matching is perfect it doesn't matter what you do to let out the clutch. If it's not, coming off the clutch more progressively will absorb the difference a bit more smoothly to be easier on the drivetrain, passengers, cargo, and your control of the car near the limit or in adverse conditions. Age of the car isn't extremely relevant in this case.
MidnightInGotham
Junior Standardshifter

theholycow wrote:
MidnightInGotham wrote:I typically come off the clutch really quick between gears, like nearly dumping the clutch. Is thag poor form and should I be going slower when engaging the clutch between gears? And add throttle?
Is the result smooth enough for your preference, and otherwise satisfactory? If so, then enjoy.
I can more consistently be smooth when releasing a little slower, but I don't want to add more wear to the clutch. I can drop it and be smooth but I sometimes do it too soon and I can feel the engine jump a bit (my understanding of how the motor is mounted in a GTI is that the engine tends to rock a lot, they have aftermarket dogbone mount to alleviate this). I assume it would be a bit more wear than a quick clutch engagement, but is it significant?
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

A quick engagement is less wear on the clutch, but if it's particularly jerky you're going put a fair bit of extra wear on the suspension and other bits.

A more drawn out, smooth release will put more wear on your clutch, but less on the suspension. But it really depends on how far you're trying to drag the revs. If it's a few hundred it's hardly worth worrying about, but a few thousand from a significant over/under rev is a while different ball of worms.

Clutches and suspension are both wearable parts. It's up to you where your comfort lies in putting more wear on the system. Most people are stupid and cars are designed to deal with stupid up to a point. A good number of people don't even pit as much thought into it as you've done.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Remember: No Vehicle is "Too Good to Drive"

It's not about "Making it Last Forever", it's about "Enjoying it While You Can"

'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"