Ouch-Heel Toe Flub

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
MidnightInGotham
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 GTI

Ouch-Heel Toe Flub

Post by MidnightInGotham »

Long time no post, I had a fun one this morning. Been heel-toeing to get used to it, slowing way down (going about 40 ish) and going 6>4. Clutch in, blip, and slide the gear lever over... but actually went into 2nd!! Of course I didn't notice until I let the clutch out and a nice nose dive.

This was no money shift, revs jumped to about 2.8k as I was also breaking so no over-revving but sure felt like I hit a wall.

Question is, did I do any damage here? Car shifted fine after that, didn't notice any clutch smell (though I'm still not sure I know what it smells like).
2016 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn Performance Pack
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Ouch-Heel Toe Flub

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Hey Marty,
In the Future, you're gonna attempt to perform the same shift, but you're gonna push the stick forward, out of 6th gear, allow the Select spring to pull the lever over to the 3/4 shift gate, and THEN pull the lever rearward into 4th gear, because there is no need to push the lever to the left when the spring will take care of that and CANNOT overshoot the 3/4 shift gate.
Doc

ps - if you had done any serious damage, you would be TELLING us about it, not ASKING us about it.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:ps - if you had done any serious damage, you would be TELLING us about it, not ASKING us about it.
This.

Exhausted from a long day after a short night, I made the exact same mistake last week while on the freeway doing about 55. Much closer to a money shift, in my car at that speed. Thought I blew it for a second. Meh, whatever, it's fine.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Shortly after I got the new (to me) truck, I was trapped in the right lane of the highway by traffic passing on my left and tried to slow slightly to allow traffic merging in. Said traffic got alongside my front fender and nailed the binders. My hand forced, I hit third (which would have been the right gear for the situation in anything but a 3/4-ton+ truck). Much noise was made and I was sure it was going to be double-plus ungood, but there have been no apparent consequences since. I concur, if you don't already know it's a big problem, it probably isn't.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

In theser modern times we live in, the clutch disk, when new, can probably spin at least 1.5-2x engine redline speed without bursting. As the clutch ages (especially if it is hot, or has been exposed to a lot of heat from slipping during its life) this burst speed can come down, but it should always be greater than the engine redline speed.

That being said, if you completed the mis-shift with the shift lever and the clutch disk didn't blow up, it all depends on whether you re-engaged the clutch (let up on the pedal) or not as to whether the engine was ever in danger from over-speeding. If the engine had started to make ticking or knocking noises afterward, or if it stalled at idle or felt down on power, or if chunks of your oilpan or crankcase and copious amounts of your engine oil were littering the pavement, then indeed it was a "money shift".

Also, often, after a clutch disk explosion, the starter pinion gear and/or clutch release bearing/concentric slave cylinder may be jambed with shredded bits of the clutch friction material and need to be replaced as well. There will likely be a bunch of the friction material in the clutch cover as well, but it can be cleaned out and re-used if it is not ancient.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

Side note: Heel and toeing in this car is definitely not easy what so ever. Granted I haven't dedicated the time to practice vigorously but from the way the pedal placement is, to the seat bottom angle, to the performance package brakes - I've kind of just let it go. Any feeble attempts I've made usually involve the car braking too hard from initial pressure and losing any benefit a heel and toe would've had.

I wear a size 10 sneaker and 9.5 dress shoe (admittedly wear dress shoes more) but I can't really get my foot across securely. The brake pedal also seems to have quite a bit of distance from the throttle and is not parallel.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Most vehicles seem to be set up fairly well for the official way to heel and toe if you're near braking limits. I never am. I wind up usually using heel on the brake and toe on the gas and I still had to make a pedal extender for the gas on my new truck.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

MidnightInGotham wrote:Question is, did I do any damage here? Car shifted fine after that, didn't notice any clutch smell (though I'm still not sure I know what it smells like).
From Autoweek's efforts to unstick a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon from a 30" deep mud hole:
"By the way, Jeep clutch smells a lot like rotting animal carcass with a little big of brake pad thrown in. That’s in case you’re ever in some sort of contest where you need pick out a clutch by smell. You’re welcome. "

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews ... z4kGgLnKoR

I'm thinking that what helped them was that the clutch was essentially water-cooled - bellhousings are not sealed. Problem is, that wasn't just clean water seeping in there. To keep the clutch and release bearing happy, they really ought to take it apart, clean out the grit and regrease the input shaft. Of course, after all the effort to take things apart, it's SO EASY to change the clutch, input shaft pilot, release bearing, friction disk and clutch cover, it's ONLY money at that point.

You really cannot ventilate the bellhousing enough to carry off enough heat to save the clutch from over-heating during slippage. If I were king, I'd consider sealing the bellhousing and running a vent hose to a point up above the water-fording depth - it IS a Jeep, right? You really shouldn't have to drop the trans after every mudhole.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Or have a bigger inspection cover where a hose could be shoved to clear out the bellhousing. Of course that would require designing some kind of sealed grease stuff for the release pivot and input shaft.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Or a drain port with screwon cap and a hose port so you could rev it up in neutral with the clutch slinging the water around......the vent hose thing is much simpler.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Them Wanklers have too many damn vent hoses as it is.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:Them Wanklers have too many damn vent hoses as it is.
Have you ever seen the vent hose for the Amish Wrangler Silverbox (NSG370)?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
watkins wrote:Them Wanklers have too many damn vent hoses as it is.
Have you ever seen the vent hose for the Amish Wrangler Silverbox (NSG370)?
bump for answer to rope's question.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.