Quotes.

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Quotes.

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Build a man a fire and you'll keep him warm tonight. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Manual Transmissions are a hoax perpetuated by the talented people to confuse and anger the rest.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

"If the 1st amendment were as gutted as the 2nd, we'd only be allowed vowels by now"
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

noob5,000,000 wrote:
"If the 1st amendment were as gutted as the 2nd, we'd only be allowed vowels by now"
Just like in Hawaii...so it would be paradise, right?
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I've been to Hawaii. Maybe things are more lax on Maui than on The Big Island, but I was not limited to vowels.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:I've been to Hawaii. Maybe things are more lax on Maui than on The Big Island, but I was not limited to vowels.
Well, there may still be a few renegade consonants on the Big I'lland, but they're a dying breed.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter

Post by noob5,000,000 »

"Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.'" -- Charlie Brown
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

Baby Beater Benz wrote:Yeah...the diesel 123, roaming Earth forever, along with roaches and Donald Trump's wig.
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

paul34 wrote:Sometimes music is just music. It doesn't have to have lyrics at all. But the masses generally like the shittest music available.

I think there is decent rap/hip hop out there that still has meaning. It's just harder to find and not well followed.
Paul, I'm impressed and surprised that you know Immortal Technique. This guy has been my hip hop guilty pleasure ever since my college radio station acquainted me with him.

Watkins, I think you're falling into the trap of "if I don't like it, it's crap". There is a LOT of work going into those styles of music, and a very remarkable trend is taking place with a fledgling genre that's fusing hip hop and electronica. All the new popular musical styles are going to be hybridized, and no matter how dissonant and unmoving it might sound to you and I, there is an incredible amount of talent and skill being poured into them, and they move and inspire an entire generation of listeners... just like classic rock did, much to the chagrin of aging parents of the big band era.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

"What would you do if a girl kissed you?"

"I'd kiss her back."

"What if she was a real tall girl?"
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Commentary: Kev, I actually listen to everything from big band on up, and after you said that I had a real moment, y'know?
Rope: ROFLMAO!

As far as hip-hop, there's not much I listen to. Early hip hop, stuff from Will Smith, Tech N9ne, Ice Cube, PE, Eminem, and that's about it. Damn! How could I forget Asheru?
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

comingbackdown wrote:As far as hip-hop, there's not much I listen to. Early hip hop, stuff from Will Smith, Tech N9ne, Ice Cube, PE, Eminem, and that's about it. Damn! How could I forget Asheru?
That stuff is "early"? :shock: To me that's new bullshit that got too far away from its origins. Well, except Ice Cube.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I have to respect Eminem. His music is usually well thought out prose that tells a story
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

theholycow wrote:
comingbackdown wrote:As far as hip-hop, there's not much I listen to. Early hip hop, stuff from Will Smith, Tech N9ne, Ice Cube, PE, Eminem, and that's about it. Damn! How could I forget Asheru?
That stuff is "early"? :shock: To me that's new bullshit that got too far away from its origins. Well, except Ice Cube.
I didn't mean early stuff LIKE, I meant early stuff AND.
Dude, who doesn't like Run DMC? The rest that I listed are people who actually have some talent, and for the most part write about more than "I got famous and got money. I have twenty exotic cars. I f*ck ten women a day. I smoke trees and down fo'tys all day. I'm the shit. BE LIKE ME!"

And a +1 to giving Eminem his due. He kinda defies the stereotype that most people use as a lens to view hip-hop with.
That, and... Though I'm not always so thrilled about his lyrics, he's got flow, and he switches shit up a lot.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter

Post by noob5,000,000 »

comingbackdown wrote:
theholycow wrote:
I didn't mean early stuff LIKE, I meant early stuff AND.
Dude, who doesn't like Run DMC? The rest that I listed are people who actually have some talent, and for the most part write about more than "I got famous and got money. I have twenty exotic cars. I f*ck ten women a day. I smoke trees and down fo'tys all day. I'm the shit. BE LIKE ME!"

And a +1 to giving Eminem his due. He kinda defies the stereotype that most people use as a lens to view hip-hop with.
That, and... Though I'm not always so thrilled about his lyrics, he's got flow, and he switches shit up a lot.
*nervously raises hand* Nah, it's not that dislike them, but I never really got into their music that much. But I do have to give them the credit and respect they deserve for paving the way for the whole hip-hop/rap thing.

The rap music I stick to most is the late-80s to mid-90s gangster shit (Bone Thugs N Harmony, N.W.A., Eazy E's solo stuff, Compton's Most Wanted, etc, etc...).