Music while driving a manual.

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!

Music common

Common
46%
Whatever milks your cow
54%

Total votes: 24

jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

Music while driving a manual.

Post by jcprov21 »

For some reason having music on while driving a manual helps keep me in check while driving. The only drawback is you can't hear the engine so you have to look at the tach all the time but it seems helpful. Is this a common thing or is this one of those whatever milks your cow things??
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

I definitely think its a "milk your cow" situation, or as I like to say, "whatever tickles your pickle." I don't think there is a right answer, but as long as you can keep your eyes on the road more than the tach, you'll be ok. Tach watchers are bad :twisted: You'll get the feel of shifting soon enough that you don't have to watch the tach (even though that bouncing needle sure is amusing. :wink:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
philcolby
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2005 Acura TL 6-MT

Post by philcolby »

Seems to be other folks commenting on this. I've been wailing the XM with sub thumping. Keeps me awake at night. But I think you should be able to sense just by the pull and vibration exactly how fast you are going. When you really start to overshoot, the engine does seems to make a sound that cuts above the din. :lol:
2005 Acura TL 6-MT and 2010 Mercedes ML450
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

Post by ReckLess »

either it's techno or rock
nismo
Junior Standardshifter

Post by nismo »

Hehe, i've only had music on once in my car and i couldnt drive. I missed a shift.
Well, maybe shifting isn't so good....after all, it ties up your right hand!!
Liaysha
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Liaysha »

i play whatever suits my mood at the time, LOL
Camouflage Metallic 2005 Scion xB 5 spd
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

I play all kinds of music, but it's mainly rock or hip hop. Of course, my buddies Stevie Wonder and Steely Dan crash the party every now and then. I have to say that the new System of a Down makes for an exhilarating drive, well at least for me :D . My techno mix makes for an interesting drive, too, especially when the Speed Racer song comes on :) .
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Peterbilt
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Peterbilt »

Am I the only one who listens to Classic Rock? :lol: Well, occasionly I may listen to Metallica or some Native American tunes, but most of the time you'd think that you went back to the Woodstock Era.

P.S. Listening to music in no way disrupts my driving process.
dslick2025
Senior Standardshifter

Post by dslick2025 »

Does utilizing your car audio system affect performance? Is it just like another A/C affecting performance thing?
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

It might take away 0.00025832 hp, just like using headlights, but it's not belt-driven off the engine's power like the A/C.
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

Post by jcprov21 »

Nah, i never really have ever noticed any power reduction, however when i roll up my power windows they see to go up slower.
95NissanSentra
Junior Standardshifter

Post by 95NissanSentra »

Hey, why not play a little music? It adds to that sporty feeling. I like some good rap or dance music from Pakistan or Egypt or Madagascar or something. I've got to get a tape to CD converter!

I watch the tach on downshifts only (for rev-matching), and only for a split-second!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Peterbilt wrote:Am I the only one who listens to Classic Rock? :lol: Well, occasionly I may listen to Metallica or some Native American tunes, but most of the time you'd think that you went back to the Woodstock Era.

P.S. Listening to music in no way disrupts my driving process.
No, you're not the only one 8) .
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
gabriel05
Senior Standardshifter

Post by gabriel05 »

LS1Leader wrote:It might take away 0.00025832 hp, just like using headlights, but it's not belt-driven off the engine's power like the A/C.
Dammit I'm gonna have to get a supercharger to offset those times when I am driving at night with the lights on and with the AC.
05 Ford Mustang
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

gabriel05 wrote:
LS1Leader wrote:It might take away 0.00025832 hp, just like using headlights, but it's not belt-driven off the engine's power like the A/C.
Dammit I'm gonna have to get a supercharger to offset those times when I am driving at night with the lights on and with the AC.
Of course, you'd have to get a turbocharger in addition to the supercharger, to offset the power losses from that belt-driven supercharger. :wink: