Music while driving a manual.

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!

Music common

Common
46%
Whatever milks your cow
54%

Total votes: 24

nutella
Junior Standardshifter

Post by nutella »

jcprov21 wrote: That was the way i was when i was driving when i first started, no music, no talking, no nothing!
LOL! everyone wants a ride in my new car. but i guess my no talking policy takes some of the fun out of it :D (and that goes for after the ride too, no commenting on my shifting!)
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

Post by jcprov21 »

Yep, no commenting on my driving!
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

My understanding is that [radio] would drain the battery, not your engine... Your alternator provides power to your battery, and that does not change based on load (it can only charge a given amount depending on the engine's RPMs). The radio draws power from your battery, and does not put any load on your engine. Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm kinda fuzzy on this topic).
I know, I'm digging up an old post.

I ain't doing this to prove who knows better than who, just to be informative.

http://cartalk.com/content/columns/Arch ... er/08.html
s4rge
Senior Standardshifter

Post by s4rge »

i drive with my music blasting! =) I dont really need to hear the engine sometimes. Its just ok.. i mgoing no stalling im ok. However, when i need to test something out than its quiet time in the car =)
1995 Black Mustang GT Vert- Current Mustang
1997 Red Mustang GT Vert- Gone but not forgotten. Red Car in avatar
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

i might get slammed for saying this but i usually look at my tach to shift... so it really doesnt matter if i have the music up... hey the tach is there for a reason... mgiht as well use it.. ;)
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

scionkid wrote:I know, I'm digging up an old post.

I ain't doing this to prove who knows better than who, just to be informative.

http://cartalk.com/content/columns/Arch ... er/08.html
Thanks for the info. :) I'll make sure to turn off my headlights for more power! :D
scionkid
Master Standardshifter

Post by scionkid »

Sypher, there ain't nothing wrong with looking at the tach. It's just amusing that some amateur shifters don't even know what gear to be in. Then there are those who ask about driving w/o a tach and say "but I can't drive w/o music".:wink: Those are the ones who should listen to what their car wants. As long as you know what the car wants you to do.

LS1, maybe this is why people don't signal when they turn. They need the engine power to break loose their Firestones and drift through the corner.
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

Even worse, is that since it's blinking on and off, you're losing power and then getting it back during the turn! Which upsets the balance of your car during the turn!

You gotta keep up with the blinker fluid maintenance to keep 'em lubricated and make sure they don't build up friction and drain even more power!
lookitzatree
Junior Standardshifter

Post by lookitzatree »

I usually drive with some music on, but if its louder than my engine, I tend to shift later (and accelerate harder). I dont really know why, but its better than stalling.
'04 Toyota Celica GT 5 spd
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

ummm enlighten me on this... what happens if ur car uses more power than the alernator can supply? like u put additional monitors and other ICE stuff in ur car?

Also, lookitzatree, doesnt ur celica GT have a tachnometer? when ur music is higher louder than ur engine, why dont u jus look at the tach?
scionkid
Master Standardshifter

Post by scionkid »

Then you put in a larger alternator to accommodate the extra load. Otherwise, you'll drain the battery.
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

Or just add batteries, like most audio guys do.
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

You'll be amazed at what a capacitor can do for your system. I strongly recommend it.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
lookitzatree
Junior Standardshifter

Post by lookitzatree »

Sypher wrote:ummm enlighten me on this... what happens if ur car uses more power than the alernator can supply? like u put additional monitors and other ICE stuff in ur car?

Also, lookitzatree, doesnt ur celica GT have a tachnometer? when ur music is higher louder than ur engine, why dont u jus look at the tach?
It has a tach, and I look at it sometimes, but im so used to the feel that i prefer not to. Also, sometimes, when I do use it, i find it too distracting thinking about the gear im in, the speed, and the rpms, while actually driving. Usually I just check the speedometer, and use the car feedback for the rest.
'04 Toyota Celica GT 5 spd
87300Zx
Junior Standardshifter

WTF

Post by 87300Zx »

How can u NOT listen to music.. i've driven so much to the extent that i've memorized how the car sounds.. and how much gas i'm giving..
1st Vrom Vrom Vrooooom.. 2nd Vrooooooooooom.. 3rd Vrooooooooooom 4th Vrooooooooooooooooooom and so on..
Even though i'm listening to my soft rock ballad's ( journey etc.. ) i can still remember my shifting points. And I have a BIG sound system ( 2 Alpine V12 amps, 2 12's 1300W each w/ pioneer hu )
I have "ok" insurance.. you ok .. i'm ok ;)