Is it worth souping up an automatic?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!

If you have an auto, you should . . .

Soup it up, its what you got.
17%
Sell it for a stick!
60%
Keep it as your day car, buy a stick for the night =)
23%

Total votes: 35

Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Is it worth souping up an automatic?

Post by Johnf514 »

I've been perusing http://www.cardomain.com lately, and I've noticed that many of the cars on there, while modified under the hood, around the body, or on the inside, are AUTOMATIC!

So is it worth it to buy/rice/pimp/deck out/soup up an auto? And if so, why?
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

Post by ReckLess »

you can convert it from auto to manual (is there such a thing? ) :shock: (but i'd think you'd be spending more..)

or

you can buy a cheap stick that's stock and install parts(if you can.. if not let a expert install it) which ever is better...
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

Keep in mind that I don't think those people who souped up their cars care if their rides are manual or automatic. To them the interior, the exterior and the "performance" ( :roll: ) are more important than the type of the transmission.
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

ReckLess wrote:you can convert it from auto to manual (is there such a thing? ) :shock: (but i'd think you'd be spending more..)
It's a lot less to just sell the car and buy a stick than convert over to a manual from auto. I've heard usually its more than the worth of the car, but if you are that attached to your wheels, well, I can't help ya. :P
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
LLVII
Junior Standardshifter

Post by LLVII »

you can convert it from auto to manual (is there such a thing? )
yup there is!
i m no expert in mechanics, but the cost of labour will kill ya... :twisted:

not to mention about major overhauling, taking the engine out of the car and disconnecting the tranmission from the engine is the least there is to it... ECU has to be reprogramed to MT specs, probably valve timing has to be adjusted as well

but y bother w/ this when u can get a better deal on a new car?

IMO i think ppl soup up there automatics r usually for looks and performance w/o the fun of shifting yourself
ltkpn
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ltkpn »

sorry for sidetracking, but I've sometimes wondered whether converting from a 5-speed manual to a 6-speed manual would be as labor and $ intensive as converting from auto to manual. Any idea???

As to whether it makes sense to rice an automatic, I wouldn't do it but it seems 90% of riced cars in MD are automatic. So, it seems to make sense to some...
If you can't heel-toe, it isn't a car.
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

Tranny conversions are usually only done by the desperate, such as when the car was never made in stickshift, etc.

For my old car, you could convert to stick for $4000, labor included.

For cars with bigger engines, souping up an automatic will actually get you faster times than a stick. Specially with cars like Camaros and Corvettes, the four gears of the auto are all you need. You simply get higher stall torque converters and different rear end ratios, and you've got yourself a fast, consistent drag car. For the smaller-engined cars, with narrower powerbands, the extra speeds that a stick usually offers provides the gearing advantage, so slushbox versions of those cars are usually slower in an apples-to-apples comparison.

Autos are worth less than sh*t in an autocross, though.
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

ltkpn wrote:sorry for sidetracking, but I've sometimes wondered whether converting from a 5-speed manual to a 6-speed manual would be as labor and $ intensive as converting from auto to manual. Any idea???
I imagine its not going to be as big of a change as an auto-to-manual conversion, but you're going to need whole different transmission, maybe some reprogramming, and a lot of cash. :wink:
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

There can't be any real guideline for that. It would depend strongly on such factors as:

Is the transmission tunnel big enough for the new transmission? Having to lower the entire driveline in the car (While good for handling), would reduce ground clearance, leave the oil pan more subject to damage, and be very expensive.

Do the hard points match? How far back is the transmission mount from the flywheel face? The shifter linkage? These issues can be worked out, but will increase complication and probably expense.

Finally, how about the total length of the transmission? In most 5-6 speed conversions, I would expect you'd need either to very precisely cut the driveshaft or have a custom one made.
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

Post by ReckLess »

OT: hehehe.. automatics.. they try so hard.. hehehe.. it's for the "old" people..
Johnf514 wrote:
ReckLess wrote:you can convert it from auto to manual (is there such a thing? ) :shock: (but i'd think you'd be spending more..)
I've heard usually its more than the worth of the car
wow.. that's too much!, the tax here for driving a right hand drive/imported cars is worth the car(100%... WTF...?!) i tell you it's crazy here...
jwl03
Senior Standardshifter

Post by jwl03 »

In general, I would have to say no.

However, for the 6th generation Accords, there have been no V6's that came with manual transmissions. That's why I got a 4 banger instead. I preferred having a 150hp car with stick over a 200 hp car with automatic.

I have seen some people swap the auto on the v6's for manual. Expensive, yes....very very expensive.

Good thing some of the newer Accords come with that v6-6 speed, i think it is..
2001 Accord sedan. 5 spd.
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

jwl03 wrote: Good thing some of the newer Accords come with that v6-6 speed, i think it is..
the coupes can have a 6 speed with the V6. now, if only the sedan could.....
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
NrBsPxer
Junior Standardshifter

Post by NrBsPxer »

i say no, unless it has some serious power.
Acura RSX-5spd Mods-looks: factory body kit, 1.5 drop- r'camber, 15% tint, s'shifter
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

Post by jcprov21 »

[quote="ReckLess"]OT: hehehe.. automatics.. they try so hard.. hehehe.. it's for the "old" people..

Yep, why do you think "cattlelacks" as i call them only come with autos!!
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

Post by ReckLess »

jcprov21 wrote:
ReckLess wrote:OT: hehehe.. automatics.. they try so hard.. hehehe.. it's for the "old" people..

Yep, why do you think "cattlelacks" as i call them only come with autos!!
cause they move like "cattles"? and lack the "moo-jo"? lolz
:twisted: