The MPG thread

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: The MPG thread

Post by tankinbeans »

I know. My running average over 900 miles is 26mpg.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:I know. My running average over 900 miles is 26mpg.
Yeah, borrowing a vehicle and driving for only 5-6 hours is not going to give me a real picture of what the fuel mileage was on that particular trip. Back in olden thymes, when a reset was a reset, you could keep hitting the reset button to display snapshots of the instantaneous fuel mileage. Back in prehistoric times, there was actually a button to select that instantaneous fuel economy be displayed. Eye-dotes in manglement thought that this silliness needed to change, because some eye-dote customers were upset to see the instantaneous mode display single-digit fuel economy as they tore away from a stop sign.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Yeah, borrowing a vehicle and driving for only 5-6 hours is not going to give me a real picture of what the fuel mileage was on that particular trip. Back in olden thymes, when a reset was a reset, you could keep hitting the reset button to display snapshots of the instantaneous fuel mileage. Back in prehistoric times, there was actually a button to select that instantaneous fuel economy be displayed. Eye-dotes in manglement thought that this silliness needed to change, because some eye-dote customers were upset to see the instantaneous mode display single-digit fuel economy as they tore away from a stop sign.
I guess that downside outweighed the upside of seeing 99.9 mpg as you braked to a stop...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

It'll be interesting to track once I crack 2000 miles. The manual states that tracking below 1000 mikes isn't recommended because of engine break-in. I'd say overall it's doing pretty well considering it's a quarter ton heavier than Clifford with a slightly larger engine.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Interesting article on emissions and fuel smileage begins on page 34.

Gets interesting on pages 37 & 38 w.r.t. ICE vs Electric.

Tier 3 vehicles exhaust will be cleaner than the air they intake.

Electric vehicles will NOT clean the air as they drive like the ICE vehicles will be doing.

http://adp.epubxp.com/i/335957
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Interesting article on emissions and fuel smileage begins on page 34.

Electric vehicles will NOT clean the air as they drive like the ICE vehicles will be doing.

What's the breakdown with the different Tiers and different Bins they discuss? Tiers are apparently the vehicle type, but how do the bins work?

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Interesting article on emissions and fuel smileage begins on page 34.

What's the breakdown with the different Tiers and different Bins they discuss? Tiers are apparently the vehicle type, but how do the bins work?
Actually, Bins are for vehicle types/sizes within the Tiers. So Tier 3 will be the next level of emission standards that come into effect in 2017 and pushes emissions level to the point that drivers of these vehicles ought to get paid for cleaning the air as they drive.
Tier 3 Vehicle Emission and Fuel Standards Program
The Tier 3 program is part of a comprehensive approach to reducing the impacts of motor vehicles on air quality and public health. The program considers the vehicle and its fuel as an integrated system, setting new vehicle emissions standards and lowering the sulfur content of gasoline beginning in 2017. The vehicle standards will reduce both tailpipe and evaporative emissions from passenger cars, light-duty trucks, medium-duty passenger vehicles, and some heavy-duty vehicles. The gasoline sulfur standard will enable more stringent vehicle emissions standards and will make emissions control systems more effective.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/tier3.htm

Imagine if all pick-m-ups were required to plow snow wherever they drove in the winter to make up for all the folks that don't clean snow off their cars and shed that snow on the road wherever they drive. Drivers of Tier 3 vehicles will be cleaning up the emissions from the 20 % of the vehicles that make 80 % of the exhaust emissions.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Thanks, your post makes sense. The EPA rules... somewhat. :lol:

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

28 Ton-Miles per Gallon of Diesel - fuel smileage estimate for main battle tanks - while cruising. Your smileage may vary. You may get blown-up by another tank during the first 90 seconds of a tank-to-tank battle. Say "lovey". Say "luggair". Those Frenchies, they have a word for EVERYTHING!

I used to get paid to drive tanks off the end of the assembly line and putin them through their paces, but now Autoline Daily sez you can pay to do this:

DRIVE A TANK
There’s places to go to drive vintage cars and even to ride in historic airplanes but we just learned that you can also go drive a tank. Yeah you heard me right, a tank. There are several places around but we caught wind of the appropriately named “Drive A Tank,” which is located in Minnesota. Just look at this video! It appears to be be a real blast, no pun intended, and you can even run over a car. Depending on how many tanks you want to drive and if you want to crush a car, packages will range from about $400 to $2500.

http://www.driveatank.com/
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Going on to Chicago this Thursday and I expect to hit a calculated 41+ on the way up, doing 75-80 on some stretches. :mrgreen:

Same trip last year yielded me 42.something as I recall.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Over 2600 miles Babe is averaging 25.69mpg.

The average in Clifford over 6800 miles was 31.48mpg.

I'd say overall Babe is doing really well. :) That being said, I'll have a chance to drive a Focus, that is identical to the one I had, for 4 days and I'll get to see how it compares with my commute to work now.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Rope-Pusher wrote:28 Ton-Miles per Gallon of Diesel - fuel smileage estimate for main battle tanks - while cruising. Your smileage may vary. You may get blown-up by another tank during the first 90 seconds of a tank-to-tank battle. Say "lovey". Say "luggair". Those Frenchies, they have a word for EVERYTHING!

I used to get paid to drive tanks off the end of the assembly line and putin them through their paces, but now Autoline Daily sez you can pay to do this:

DRIVE A TANK
There’s places to go to drive vintage cars and even to ride in historic airplanes but we just learned that you can also go drive a tank. Yeah you heard me right, a tank. There are several places around but we caught wind of the appropriately named “Drive A Tank,” which is located in Minnesota. Just look at this video! It appears to be be a real blast, no pun intended, and you can even run over a car. Depending on how many tanks you want to drive and if you want to crush a car, packages will range from about $400 to $2500.

http://www.driveatank.com/
Now Tristan is going to have to check that out. I want to drive a tank and it's about the only part of Minnesota that could possibly be interesting. The MOA sucks and there's not much else to do, even though I would like to take a trip to the north shore.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

Post by SonicHKS »

I've been getting 41.5 mixed in the Sonic recently, even did some highway cruising last week and averaged 47-48. :mrgreen:. Week before that I took it in for its first warranty work, a vacuum leak @ the pcv. I was getting 38-39 mixed before, its really improved since getting it fixed.

Also, they gave me a Spark as a loaner while working on the Sonic. I got 39 mixed in it, when it was only rated 32/38. lol and they'd wanted to give me a Malibu, saying it was an "upgrade", haha. Like going from 40mpg to 20s is an upgrade.

edit: I don't speed for fun anymore, to me efficiency can be fun. Accelerating with minimum power, accelerating slow and cruising fast, and using a few tricks to get another few mpg. If I really try I can always beat EPA estimates on any car :mrgreen:.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

How did you like the Spark?

I sat in it and it was an outright "no" for me. I got the 'penalty box' impression when I sat inside, and that's coming from a Sonic owner.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

Post by SonicHKS »

It was ok, I liked it but then again I'm not claustrophobic ;). I thought of it as a shrunk down version of my car. About the same with everything, just smaller. The mpg is a deal killer, only the same as the Sonic, and with less car. The CVT was interesting at first, first one I'd drove, but I got bored with it and needed my manual trans back.