The MPG thread

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: The MPG thread

Post by AHTOXA »

Oh and by the way, I'm already filling up for $2 locally, so I wonder how low we're actually going to see it here. Could it get down to $1.30? We shall see.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:Texas is going to hurt, bad, due to prices of oil falling. Texas has the highest employment in the domestic oil industry - something like 3.5 million jobs permanent jobs. Experts anticipate a recession in the sate of Texas as a result of job losses as prices fall. As much as I like the $2 a gallon price, I'd rather pay $3.50 a gallon and keep a healthy local economy.
Hol' up there, son. Get yer Dog danged commie comments outta Texas and back to Obamaland.

Realistic conversation about that topic leads to some interesting debates about government/economy/energy dependence/etc... - though if you are a true 'Murican capitalist, you take your executive bonus for record profits (and firing thousands of people) and go on vacation.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I've been running the non-oxy route and spending $3.30ish a gallon. Still averaging about $0.118 per mile.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Got 36.6 MPG driving a 2.4 L Dodge Dart GT 6-speed MTX from Belvidere, Illinois to Auburn Hills, Michigan. I wonder what the 2.0 or the 1.4 T/C would have gotten on the same trip.

My Jeep continues to flirt with 20 MPG - I should really slow down a bit and let them get to know each other, like back when I was a more patient driver.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Here's my last 1000 miles pf data running mostly non-oxy. I don't really get on the thruway much. Impatience, a heavy foot and Ms. Frizzle is a bit thirsty.

I'm sure I could almost match my numbers from Clifford of I cared enough. Considering imI'm matching the numbers for last generation's Focus and I have more fun in mine, I'm happy.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I haven't done the actual gas calculation yet, but for about an hour stretch of driving on the highway yesterday - cruising at ~55 mph in a vehicle convoy - the Mazda's fuel calculator estimated we were getting 49.1 mpg. I don't particularly believe it, but even if we were getting 45, that's still 5 mpg over the estimate for the car.

My car's estimated range display kept increasing as I was driving over that stretch. :lol:

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:I haven't done the actual gas calculation yet, but for about an hour stretch of driving on the highway yesterday - cruising at ~55 mph in a vehicle convoy - the Mazda's fuel calculator estimated we were getting 49.1 mpg. I don't particularly believe it, but even if we were getting 45, that's still 5 mpg over the estimate for the car.

My car's estimated range display kept increasing as I was driving over that stretch. :lol:
That's not at all hard to believe; long trip steady cruising, especially at a mere 55mph, is optimal...and is easily foiled by a little bit of any other driving in the same tank.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I'd go so far as to say I'd expect more than 10% over EPA highway in most vehicles under those conditions.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

tankinbeans wrote:Here's my last 1000 miles pf data running mostly non-oxy. I don't really get on the thruway much. Impatience, a heavy foot and Ms. Frizzle is a bit thirsty.

I'm sure I could almost match my numbers from Clifford of I cared enough. Considering imI'm matching the numbers for last generation's Focus and I have more fun in mine, I'm happy.
Those numbers aren't bad, given the performance of the car. I get almost those exact figures in my Forester.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

theholycow wrote:
Squint wrote:I haven't done the actual gas calculation yet, but for about an hour stretch of driving on the highway yesterday - cruising at ~55 mph in a vehicle convoy - the Mazda's fuel calculator estimated we were getting 49.1 mpg. I don't particularly believe it, but even if we were getting 45, that's still 5 mpg over the estimate for the car.

That's not at all hard to believe; long trip steady cruising, especially at a mere 55mph, is optimal.
Plus drafting from being in a convoy certainly helps even more.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:
theholycow wrote:

That's not at all hard to believe; long trip steady cruising, especially at a mere 55mph, is optimal.
Plus drafting from being in a convoy certainly helps even more.
If your going to be in a convoy, I hear having dazzle paint is the piece of a resistor
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

watkins wrote:Plus drafting from being in a convoy certainly helps even more.
As I drive like a normal person should, I'm not getting more than a percent of improvement at best from drafting. :lol:

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Squint wrote:
watkins wrote:Plus drafting from being in a convoy certainly helps even more.
As I drive like a normal person should, I'm not getting more than a percent of improvement at best from drafting. :lol:
6000 rpm shifts and agressive lane changes?

Oh wait, that's me.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:As I drive like a normal person should, I'm not getting more than a percent of improvement at best from drafting. :lol:
At highway speeds it's only going to be a small percentage from the best drafts, but those are easier than you think: Merely back off from the average driver's usual distance from a 53' box trailer. The best draft behind one of those is at a 2 to 3 second following distance, which is 2 to 6 times the distance I see most people following them.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:At highway speeds it's only going to be a small percentage from the best drafts, but those are easier than you think: Merely back off from the average driver's usual distance from a 53' box trailer. The best draft behind one of those is at a 2 to 3 second following distance, which is 2 to 6 times the distance I see most people following them.
Didn't Mythbusters do an episode about drafting semis where they showed that you could significantly improve fuel economy but you were basically riding the bumper of the semi?

For Pony!