Bicycling

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Bicycling

Post by theholycow »

Rather than continue monopolizing the hobby thread, I figured I'd just start a thread for bicycling.

14.5mi mountain biking today. I probably should have quit around 11.

Remember the tires I acquired? They may have zero miles on them but they must be kinda aged...turns out the sidewalls are cracked, which is only visible inflated. Worse, I got about a mile out and was feeling annoyed by my out-of-true wheel when I examined it and realized it wasn't the wheel. Instead, the bead of the tire had come unseated. I tried stomping on it to seat it, no luck. I had to let most of the air out to re-seat it.

Then I inflated with CO2 but I kept the pressure low to avoid having the issue again. I guess I'll just run lower pressure until I get a better tire.

I haven't had a fat front tire in forever, it was weird looking at it. Performance in sand is now much better, between the wider front tire and the wide paddle-tread rear.

General pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1140477865 ... /Bicycling

A very nice area I dub "Eden Area":
https://picasaweb.google.com/1140477865 ... 2/EdenArea

Some samples...

Huge-ass logs:

Approaching a descent:

Looking down that descent:

This little waterfall gently moves a lot of water, it sounds like pouring a big bucket into a full bathtub:

The leaves on this plant are about a foot wide. What is it?

The pond on the left is 3 feet higher than the bog on the right and appears to be held in place by a beaver dam:
Last edited by theholycow on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Bicycling

Post by AHTOXA »

Bead usually unseats inwards and it will pop in place if you inflate further. Weird that it was unseated outward.

I'm hoping to trailride tomorrow. Been raining the day before yesterday and trails were dry.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

14.5 miles? Im way more out of shape than I thought. Then again my job only requires me to stand, not move around. I ride on a converted railroad trail a few days a week at work and my legs start to get angry at half that. I generally only have time to go about 5 miles during my lunch break anyway.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

I ride a rail trail near my house that's 16 miles from end to end. So it's a 32-mile ride round trip. It's fairly level, but it does have some hilly sections. It's a great workout and I do the entire trail from end to end and back as often as I can. This time of year is great to ride because it's not too hot. I'd be riding it tomorrow if the weather wasn't supposed to be crappy....
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

The trail we ride at work is awesome because it literally forms the border of one side of the property, so theres no need to go anywhere. The problem is that the rail line had to pass over a busy road that forms the front boundary of the property. That means a built up grade for the bridge. Fifteen+ feet up at about a 55 degree slope. Half the workout is just getting the bikes up and down from the trail. And the trail is still rough ballast
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Honestly I don't know how I managed that without feeling terrible. I expected to poop out after 6 miles and come home dead by 8 miles.

As I mentioned in the hobby thread, I'm just getting back into riding after 8 years of no exercise at all. When I used to ride a whole lot (65 miles on a Saturday ride) I wasn't even in great shape, let alone after 8 years of couch-sitting and junk food.

Two weeks ago a 20 mile road ride (on the lightweight aerodynamic road bike!) destroyed me. A week ago a 13.75 mile road ride (road bike again) wore me out. Mountain biking, especially on the rough nasty trails around here, I would expect to run out of energy in half the distance (which is likely to be the same amount of time or more).

AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Had a great ride today. Good flow on the trail, bike felt right and all came together.

I judge a great ride by how the bike feels under me. There are days when I seen to not be in 100% control. I miss lines, the bike feels more like a bucking horse under me during technical sections.

Then there are days when the bike feels like a surgical tool. You point, guide and it follows. Smooth, precise. You get into that zone and it seems like the action around you slows down. When it does, the trail lines become clear and everything just flows smoothly. I love those rides.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Posting an old clip just for thread relevance.

http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw ... 7407ce.mp4
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

In my current out-of-practice condition, simply being able to keep up a decent speed is what satisfies me.

Considering the harsh technical nature and constant climbing of most singletrack around here I may have to hang on to that attitude for a long time. Eventually I'll get back to the point where I don't get satisfaction from that and do get what I want from being at one with the bike and trail, smoothly handling everything.

Of course, handling the technical stuff more smoothly results in less loss of inertia and less motive effort required to keep moving, so I can't just ignore skill while I build power/endurance.

Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

Post by Standardshifter »

Back in the saddle here so to speak. Started last year with some metric centuries, aiming for a couple of full centuries this year, and bring my average up from the 15mph average zone to a more reasonable 16-18mph average.
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

I got back into bicycling being away from it for a long while. My 35 year old Fuji 10 speed still gets the job done. I am sure there are better bikes out there today, but it was a nice bike in its day. If you like vintage bikes and feel like looking, check out my submission at the Old Ten Speed Gallery Website.

Link: http://oldtenspeedgallery.com/owner-sub ... an-tourer/
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

A year ago when I was in my best shape ever, a 40 mile ride on the road didn't phase me one bit. I really miss that body now
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Awesome ride today down my favorite local trail.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

scionkid wrote:A year ago when I was in my best shape ever, a 40 mile ride on the road didn't phase me one bit. I really miss that body now
Change that to 8 years ago. I may never get back to that condition.

Wife's taking some night courses so I'll have more weeknight riding time this summer. :)

AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Yesterday I rode in spite of a headcold. Today I feel like junk even though I had a very strong ride yesterday.

I also need new grips for the bike. Mine are worn smooth now and aren't very grippy any longer.

Cow, I've been wondering, what component group do you use? Don't remember discussing that. Thought?
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650