Bicycling

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Bicycling

Post by theholycow »

I've got mixed components on my two major-componented bikes. I piecemeal components to fit my needs and budget.

MTB:
- Acera integrated brake/shifters. I didn't choose these, they came on the bike, but I like them better than anything else I've seen. The robust brake levers feel fine, the rapidfire shifter configuration is just what I like, the action feels great, and the gear indicator is exactly what I want - simple, robust, and unobtrusive. I like having the display but I'd hate one of those needle-in-a-plastic-box displays that looks like it will break if you look at it wrong.

- Deore and Deore XT crankset/derailers. Can't remember which are XT and which aren't. Not OE. Rear derailer may be XTR. I'll have to check if I remember when at home.

- Cassette is 11-34 MegaRange. I can't remember what group. I thought I remembered it being SRAM but I googled it and MegaRange is a Shimano name.

- Chain: Brand new SRAM PC-850 (just put it on, already can't remember exactly which one)

- Brakes, BB, hubs, headset, and whatever else might be part of the group: Don't remember

- Not really group-related, but I love my Shimano M545 pedals.

IIRC the drivetrain upgrades were all planned and executed by Joe at Narragansett Bikes (he has since sold the shop and I wish I could drop by to thank him for all his patience and expert help). I don't think I did any of it myself unless I wore anything out after Joe did the drivetrain job. That was before I did my own wrenching.

Road bike came with 105 group. Group-related changes I've made:
- Ultegra triple crank and front derailer
- I don't remember what BB I put in for the triple crank
- Ultegra 11-27 cassette
- 105 long cage rear derailer (to handle all that extra chain)
- Chain: Wipperman ConneX stainless steel 9s. If I keep it clean it's very nice and shiny and motivates me to ride.
- Since I mentioned pedals above, love my Egg Beaters here.
All DIY...by that time I was good at wrenching.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

My mountain bike recently developed an issue and I'm not sure why.... Occasionally when I'm pedaling hard, it almost feels like my bike is trying to change gears by itself. Of course it's not, but it gives me the feeling that it almost "skips" for a second. Since this problem started, I've also noticed that the pedals will tend to rotate if I take my feet off them while coasting. And if I get off the bike and walk with it, the pedals will rotate. Anyone know why this is happening? Do I have a problem with the casette?
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

That is an interesting question about your pedals rotating. I figured that the problem would not be with your pedal or crank assembly, but in your freewheel since the pedals would not have any way to rotate on their own without something (the chain) making them move. That problem is probably why your bike feels like it is shifting on it own. I did a quick Google search and found some answers to your problem. It basically said the problem is in your freewheel and it either needs to be lubed or replaced. Links below:

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 516AAvoCTz

http://forums.bicycletutor.com/thread-38.html

Shadow wrote:My mountain bike recently developed an issue and I'm not sure why.... Occasionally when I'm pedaling hard, it almost feels like my bike is trying to change gears by itself. Of course it's not, but it gives me the feeling that it almost "skips" for a second. Since this problem started, I've also noticed that the pedals will tend to rotate if I take my feet off them while coasting. And if I get off the bike and walk with it, the pedals will rotate. Anyone know why this is happening? Do I have a problem with the casette?
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

I'm a little confused here....what's the difference between a "freewheel" and a "casette" on my bike? I've never taken one apart, so I'm not sure if they are part of the same unit or if they are completely separate parts.
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

They constructed differently, but do basically the same thing. Click on the link below and it explains the differences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogset
Shadow wrote:I'm a little confused here....what's the difference between a "freewheel" and a "casette" on my bike? I've never taken one apart, so I'm not sure if they are part of the same unit or if they are completely separate parts.
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Read these excerpts or click the links for the full articles.

http://bikeportland.org/2011/06/23/sadn ... vism-55360
One month ago, a motor vehicle operator struck 57 year old Jan Morgan from behind as she pedaled her bike on a road south of Tupelo, Mississippi. According to the police dispatch log, Morgan was thrown up onto the windshield and then catapulted onto the ground after the driver realized what had happened.

Then, after the initial contact, the police log reads, "The driver exited the vehicle and observed the cyclist while talking on the phone. Then re-entered her vehicle and ran the cyclist over again before being forced from her vehicle by witnesses."
http://www.nems360.com/view/full_story/ ... eft_column
"When she hit Jan, she didn't dodge her, never slowed down," Jones told the Daily Journal. "She got out of the car, she was on the phone, saying 'I just hit a lady. You better get down here.'"

Jones said Norton peeked at Morgan, who was bleeding and unconscious, before getting back inside her car and slowly running her over.

"The front tire sat on Jan's head 45 seconds to a minute," Jones said. "You can hear it on the 911 tape, me telling her she was on top of Jan's head. Then she got off her head. She was in a state of shock. She attempted to get back in the car a third time actually but we wouldn't let her."
http://www.dailytimesleader.com/content ... s-decision
Bicycle Accident Defendant Appeals Court's Decision

Norton's conviction in Justice Court carried a fine of only $50 for the charge of misdemeanor simple assault, but still Norton and her attorney Marty Haub feel there is no evidence that reveals Norton actually committed an act of negligence and simple assault. Haub said during the trial in November that there's no evidence of disregard to human life.
I must be missing something here. The first hit was probably the normal negligence exercised by drivers as a matter of course, a severe failure in society's attitude towards driving but (as horrible as this is) we're all accustomed to it. Getting back in the car and attempting to drive over the victim's head with the weight of the car on said head for 45 seconds, though, isn't at least charged as manslaughter, just because the driver says she was trying to pull off the road?

Remind me not to use a bicycle in Mississippi. Apparently it's open season on cyclists there.

Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

First quote reaction, "well, seems like a hit and run, maybe it was an accident she ran over the cyclist again."

Second quote, "wat. (judgmental eyes)"

Third quote, "Mississippi is dumb. Mental note, never go there."

Seriously, I'm not for litigation, but there's a lawsuit that needs to happen.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I used to read MTBR. Granted it's an MTB forum but many of those guys ride road as well. There were so many threads about drivers expressing hostility towards them. Thinking about it now, this is one of the reasons I'm put off from riding road. When I ride, I ride to feel good and to enjoy myself. Not only do I get to smell exhaust fumes but then I get to hear some little jerk make comments towards me or even get run over in an extreme case? No thanks.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

One can read all day about the mistreatment road cyclists get from motor vehicle operators, but normally it's not that bad - and AFAIK the statistics show that every mile on a bicycle on the road is still safer than in a car, even with seemingly homicidal drivers gunning for us.

In my experience, hostile drivers are about as common as crashing while mountain biking (and I'm a very cautious mountain biker - there's nobody out there on the trail to help me if I crash and am immobile). This year I've had no real crashes, though I had an almost-endo (saved by a convenient tree-grab) and probably some other minor stuff; on the road I've had one or two drivers who seemed to enter the wide shoulder but everybody else treated me respectfully.

It may differ by region. I know there are places where drivers are more used to bicycles and roads are better suited for them; and I sure know there are places with more hostility too.

There's room for improvement, but it's not so awful that road bicycling is a net loss. (Anti-cycling drivers: Please do not take that as a challenge.)

Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

AHTOXA wrote:I used to read MTBR. Granted it's an MTB forum but many of those guys ride road as well. There were so many threads about drivers expressing hostility towards them. Thinking about it now, this is one of the reasons I'm put off from riding road. When I ride, I ride to feel good and to enjoy myself. Not only do I get to smell exhaust fumes but then I get to hear some little jerk make comments towards me or even get run over in an extreme case? No thanks.
That's the main reason I lost interest in riding on the road. Too many jackass drivers who buzz by too close and are just inconsiderate in general. Of course the flip side of that is the inconsiderate cyclist who thinks he owns the road and will not yield to cars. Or a group of cyclist riding 3 or 4 abreast and taking an entire lane. I don't know, I just think riding trails on a mountain bike is just so much better because I can concentrate on my riding instead of worrying about the idiots on the road.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

We agree again, shadow? I need to go buy lottery tickets. :)
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

AHTOXA wrote:We agree again, shadow? I need to go buy lottery tickets. :)

We agree more often than you think. I've seen at least five or six posts that you started by saying that you agreed with me in the not-so-distant past. But you always make it seem as though you're surprised...
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I think your sarcasm meter broke, Shadow.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:I think your sarcasm meter broke, Shadow.
Shadow has one of those??!? (Sorry Shadow, can't help it. Have to poke a little fun when we can. :lol: :lol: )
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

AHTOXA wrote:I think your sarcasm meter broke, Shadow.
Maybe...but it's still true that we agree more than you'd care to admit. Case in point:
AHTOXA wrote:I'm in (gasp) agreement with shadow. A steady state light wont prevent an accident if the other driver isn't paying attention to that degree. Now if the light was blinking, that could be different.
AHTOXA wrote:Shadow, for a change I truly, fully agree with you on the interviews.
AHTOXA wrote:I agree, shadow. Eating healthy can be more expensive than eating out all of the time.
Oh well, that's enough for now. I'm sure there are more, but I ain't looking for them! LOL