Honest Engines

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
IMBoring25

Re: Honest Engines

Post by IMBoring25 »

I don't know...Back when my boss was trying to re-activate our local SAE chapter we did a meet at the local Nissan dealer to look at the then-new Leaf and got to drive them. They're peppy and the low CG helps handling some. Further, if you enjoy hypermiling, there's the "game" aspect of it. Alas, the non-temperature-controlled battery pack on them means they don't do well in temperature extremes.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

IMBoring25 wrote:I don't know...Back when my boss was trying to re-activate our local SAE chapter we did a meet at the local Nissan dealer to look at the then-new Leaf and got to drive them. They're peppy and the low CG helps handling some. Further, if you enjoy hypermiling, there's the "game" aspect of it. Alas, the non-temperature-controlled battery pack on them means they don't do well in temperature extremes.
that means they will have issues in most of the US of A, if run year round at least. :?
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Ruh-roh. Fiat Chrysler may have issues with their diesels too...
The U.S. government is accusing Fiat Chrysler of violating the Clean Air Act on some of its diesel engines installed in about 104,000 vehicles.

The Environmental Protection Agency accused the company of installing and failing to disclose engine management software in 2014, 2015 and 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Ram 1500 trucks with 3.0-litre diesel engines sold in the United States.

Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne denied that the company was cheating.

"We have done nothing that is illegal," he said. "There was never any intent of creating conditions that were designed to defeat the testing process. This is absolute nonsense."

The environmental regulator said it is also investigating whether the auxiliary emission control devices constitute "defeat devices," which are illegal.
Guess we'll have to see whether it turns into anything more than just an investigation.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Jalopnik has some details and discussion on this that suggest it is a matter of interpretation of requirements and not deliberate rigging of the software to pollute profusely unless it detects that an emissions test is in progress.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Jalopnik has some details and discussion on this that suggest it is a matter of interpretation of requirements and not deliberate rigging of the software to pollute profusely unless it detects that an emissions test is in progress.
I read a couple of other articles and it certainly is different from the whole VW shenanigans. It seems like they at least attempted to meet the requirements. Of course, when the person claiming you've broken the requirements is the same as the person who makes the requirements, best efforts to follow them might still not be enough to avoid a penalty. I think it's going to be a wait-to-see-what-happens kind of thing. Unlike VW, where the news broke and it was just an "uh-oh... this is bad for VW" kind of feeling.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

http://jalopnik.com/why-fiat-chryslers- ... 1791135595

Yes, it seems to be a different bag of worms than the ones VW manglement is eating for lunch these days.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:http://jalopnik.com/why-fiat-chryslers- ... 1791135595

Yes, it seems to be a different bag of worms than the ones VW manglement is eating for lunch these days.
fickset
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Ford Plans to Drop an Engine on 2018 'Stang

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017011 ... news-blast
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I was just reading that Mazda is fittin' to offer a 16:1 petrol engine that uses dieselesque combustion ignition starting in 2018.

Very curious...
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:I was just reading that Mazda is fittin' to offer a 16:1 petrol engine that uses dieselesque combustion ignition starting in 2018.

Very curious...
Funny, but the more dieselesque the petrol-fueled engines get to be, the more dieselesque emissions concerns they exhibit. Gasoline Direct Injection leads to higher levels of particulate emissions. We may see particulate filters becoming common emissions after-treatment in the future. I believe Nox levels can be a concern with higher compression levels as well....but then again, they can have a design with a high expansion ratio but limit the compression ratio using atypical valve event timing. There are a myriad of possibilities when one considers one's options for removing the epidermis of a feline.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/0 ... -for-2018/

I don't know why I'm intrigued considering I'm a pseudo-luddite.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

If one were to run for an extended period of time with the rubbing alcohol would one be at risk of flooding?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:If one were to run for an extended period of time with the rubbing alcohol would one be at risk of flooding?
I have no idea if or how they were adjusting and calibrating the air/fuel ratios as they were switching fuels.
I'm stinkin' the water in the rubbing alcohol wasn't getting heated enough to vaporize. Maybe if the engine was running against a load it would run hot enough for vaporization to occur. If not, then most of the water was going out the exhaust as a liquid....I don't bleef it was ever going to accumulate so far as to cause a hydraulic lock.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:I was just reading that Mazda is fittin' to offer a 16:1 petrol engine that uses dieselesque combustion ignition starting in 2018.

Very curious...
VW has already gotten good at making their turbo gas engines sound and smell like diesel engines. mein 1.8 turbo motor is often compared to the TDI, and it even has the weird DI sound,most of the torque, and the dense and deadly smelling exhaust of the TDI. now if only we could have more TDIesque mpgs :lol: :shock: :| :?:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.