Honest Engines

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Honest Engines

Post by tankinbeans »

Question: do vehicles in this class require a higher classification of licensure to operate on public streets? Is this typically a commercial unit manufactured for business porpoises? In Minnesota this at least a class C license requirement, at least when loaded to capacity.

For reference everyday schlubs like me are issued a class D which is good for vehicle combinations up to 26k pounds.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Everyday schlubs with un-special licenses can drive bigger, heavier stuff - just not commercially. Anyway the GVWR is nowhere near 26,000, probably more like 12,500...if it was 26,000 it would be Class 6 or 7 truck (not below "a Class 4 or 5 truck").

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_cla ... ifications
watkins wrote:Gotta love the Cummins
Sure, if you want, but that's not what makes all that towing capacity work. It's Rope-Pusher's ilk working in the suspension, braking, and GCWR arms race departments...with assists from the slushbox department and the tire supplier, encouragement from the marketing department, and protests from the legal department.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Actually, the CDL requirement is based on GCWR. GCWR 26,001+ with a trailer GVWR 10,000+ drives a CDL requirement even if the trailer is unloaded. They've been technically over that for a long time.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I stand corrected!

That certainly makes sense, and I've often wondered why it's not that way...

watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

theholycow wrote:
watkins wrote:Gotta love the Cummins
Sure, if you want, but that's not what makes all that towing capacity work. It's Rope-Pusher's ilk working in the suspension, braking, and GCWR arms race departments...with assists from the slushbox department and the tire supplier, encouragement from the marketing department, and protests from the legal department.
All that stuff doesnt mean jack if you dont have the power to back it up.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

watkins wrote:All that stuff doesnt mean jack if you dont have the power to back it up.
It doesn't take a thousand foot pounds to drag 30,000 pounds, and if you can't drag it safely then it's probably good to have your speed limited by insufficient power...but anyway plenty of Class 8 Semi tractors made for towing far more weight have less horsepower and torque.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzfND5fcpB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1-gHqov5w8

Hell, I would be surprised if what's left of my nearly 4-decade old, half-ass maintained, optimistically rated at 125HP V6 had trouble trying to drag 30,000 pounds up to 60mph -- though without more gears my 9 inch clutch won't survive many launches!

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

You know, neither one of them pick-m-ups got their aircraft off of the ground, right?

I would imagine that if it had been the 747, the tow vehicle would have come completely off the ground.

I spent an with the winch operator, watching winch launches, and except for the time the cable broke it was all purt-much uneventful.
Oh, and when the cable broke, the pilot aborted, circles around once and landed. You can bet that the Boy Scout passenger on his first glider flight had quite a story to tell when he went back to school on Monday.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

That's Just Crate!

CHEVY SUPERCHARGES ITS 5.3L V8
Chevy is taking a whole host of vehicles, parts and crate engines to SEMA and its Silverado Performance Concept really caught our eye. While there’s a whole bunch of upgrades, the real gem is the LT4-style supercharger plunked on top of a 5.3L V8, which is a first and adds 100-horsepower. I was at a pre-screening event for Chevy’s SEMA offerings and the folks there made it seem like they were really trying to get a truck like this or at least the engine to market. And if only the engine makes it, I think it would be really cool to see it in a V-series Cadillac.
http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/ ... erado.html

HONDA JOINS THE CRATE ENGINE CRAZE
In other SEMA engine news, Honda announced it will sell the engine from the new Civic Type R as a crate option. It has a price tag of a little over $6,500.
http://www.hondanews.com/releases/honda ... -sema-show

DODGE HELLCRATE ENGINE
And if you think that’s expensive, Dodge says it will sell you a Hellcat engine with wiring and PCM for $19,530.
http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsre ... 8628&mid=1

I'll bet that the cost of these crate motors is just chump-change compared to the cost of buying a factory replacement motor for a Bimmer.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

IMBoring25 wrote:Actually, the CDL requirement is based on GCWR. GCWR 26,001+ with a trailer GVWR 10,000+ drives a CDL requirement even if the trailer is unloaded. They've been technically over that for a long time.
i met a delivery driver last week who was driving a truck just under the CDL limit. He had decades of experience driving the big rigs but had settled down to more local delivery with the smaller truck and said he loves it. He said something about them getting rid of the air brake endorsement requirement, but also pointed out that air brakes are not hard to figure out.
Most of the jobs I see listed say you need a CDL though...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote:
IMBoring25 wrote:Actually, the CDL requirement is based on GCWR. GCWR 26,001+ with a trailer GVWR 10,000+ drives a CDL requirement even if the trailer is unloaded. They've been technically over that for a long time.
i met a delivery driver last week who was driving a truck just under the CDL limit. He had decades of experience driving the big rigs but had settled down to more local delivery with the smaller truck and said he loves it. He said something about them getting rid of the air brake endorsement requirement, but also pointed out that air brakes are not hard to figure out.
That reminds me of when I was working in urban forestry during college in the 1980s. My boss wanted me to be able to drive the hi-ranger truck, a big long truck with the boom and bucket. He sent me up to the Secretary of State (not sure why every other state it is the DMV but Michigan has to be different I guess) with money to get the endorsement. I took the test. Ha ha, it was half greek, stuff about hooking up air lines and brakes etc for a tractor trailer rig. I just guessed at most of the answers, passed the exam and got the license. Now that is scary!
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

InlinePaul wrote:
potownrob wrote:
That reminds me of when I was working in urban forestry during college in the 1980s. My boss wanted me to be able to drive the hi-ranger truck, a big long truck with the boom and bucket. He sent me up to the Secretary of State (not sure why every other state it is the DMV but Michigan has to be different I guess) with money to get the endorsement. I took the test. Ha ha, it was half greek, stuff about hooking up air lines and brakes etc for a tractor trailer rig. I just guessed at most of the answers, passed the exam and got the license. Now that is scary!
now that IS scary :shock:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

potownrob wrote:Most of the jobs I see listed say you need a CDL though...
Where it's not a legal requirement the insurance company probably gives them a break for having it as a company requirement.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote:
potownrob wrote:Most of the jobs I see listed say you need a CDL though...
Where it's not a legal requirement the insurance company probably gives them a break for having it as a company requirement.
Could be a way of sorting the wheat from the chaff. By asking more than what you need, you may keep out minimal performers. Not unlike asking for a college degree when you really just don't want to wade through all the Walmart shoppers who would otherwise be applying for the job. Yeah, I know that a degree doesn't guarantee performance, but maybe it does show some minimal level of following a program, getting out of bed on time, striving for something more in life, ability to make a long-term commitment,....it's more than what one learns, it's also what one went through to finish it.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:
potownrob wrote:i met a delivery driver last week who was driving a truck just under the CDL limit. He had decades of experience driving the big rigs but had settled down to more local delivery with the smaller truck and said he loves it. He said something about them getting rid of the air brake endorsement requirement, but also pointed out that air brakes are not hard to figure out.
now that IS scary :shock:
I am better off working in the office (Society is better off with me working in the office). When I was on that urban forestry job I once drove the F350 dump truck (cool truck with 4 speed floor shift and creeper gear) a few miles in traffic with the wood chipper on a pintle hook that was wide open and the chains not hooked up. Image
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

InlinePaul wrote:When I was on that urban forestry job I once drove the F350 dump truck (cool truck with 4 speed floor shift and creeper gear) a few miles in traffic with the wood chipper on a pintle hook that was wide open and the chains not hooked up. Image
Cudda bean the New Process Gear A435 - You could find them in Fords, Chevys & GMCs and UPS trucks to name a few.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/tr ... nual/np435