Crush-4-Crunkers

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Crush-4-Crunkers

Post by Rope-Pusher »

or,.......Emission Impossible!
Pollution continues to be a problem in China, so the country is trying to get the highest polluting cars off the road. There is a new standard coming May 1st that says if a car fails a mandatory inspection three times in a row it has to be scrapped. Cars are required to be inspected once every other year for the first six years from the date of purchase, then once every year for the following four years, and then they have to be inspected every six months. If someone does not get their scheduled inspection they risk getting a fine of about $32 and three points on their license.

http://autonews.gasgoo.com/china-news/n ... 0306.shtml
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Crush-4-Crunkers

Post by tankinbeans »

Didn't a number of states in the USA do something similar for awhile? Minnesota used to have mandatory inspections until they scrapped the requirement, along with the requirement to show proof of insurance when registering.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:Didn't a number of states in the USA do something similar for awhile? Minnesota used to have mandatory inspections until they scrapped the requirement, along with the requirement to show proof of insurance when registering.
just want to make sure you realize there are states that have requirements like this; NYS has mandatory annual inspections and also requires us to have proof of insurance when registering a car, and it's been like this at least since i started driving.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:Didn't a number of states in the USA do something similar for awhile? Minnesota used to have mandatory inspections until they scrapped the requirement, along with the requirement to show proof of insurance when registering.
just want to make sure you realize there are states that have requirements like this; NYS has mandatory annual inspections and also requires us to have proof of insurance when registering a car, and it's been like this at least since i started driving.
I fingered as much. I know it was a big deal when Minnesota stopped doing it.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Sure, there are plenty of states with inspections, but a car doesn't have to be scrapped for repeated failures, it just can't be legally driven on the road. The practical upshot is that it's likely to be scrapped, but it might be used off-road, illegally on the road, or bought by someone willing to put more effort into making it pass.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

i hear japan also has uber strict rules for drivers and their vehicles...
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2022.html
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

From what else I heard, the inspections include mandatory repairs/replacement of items, whether they are worn or not. Gets to be VERY expensive to keep an older vehicle on the road.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"