Arrrrrrrgh! I can't stand modern cars!

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Arrrrrrrgh! I can't stand modern cars!

Post by Shadow »

Another cool feature that I really like: Tap the turn signal stalk once to get three flashes of the turn signals. Great for changing lanes on the highway or merging on the highway. Also great for off-ramps.

Sure, it might seem like no big deal, but when I'm driving one of our other cars, I miss this feature.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Shadow wrote:Another cool feature that I really like: Tap the turn signal stalk once to get three flashes of the turn signals. Great for changing lanes on the highway or merging on the highway. Also great for off-ramps.

Sure, it might seem like no big deal, but when I'm driving one of our other cars, I miss this feature.
+1
didn't have this til the VW, but it is my best friend on the highway. people on the vortex complain about it only flashing 3 times and having to get their cars reprogrammed to flash 5 times, but there are times i only want it to flash 3 times, plus it flashes 4 times if you flick the stalk twice in a row.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

tankinbeans wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:
bk7794 wrote: your ranger doesn't have recirculation?
Not a separate button for re-circulation. It will re-circulate on Max Air but that is AC only. Nor did my 1995 F150 have it.
All the Fords I've ever had have had a recirc button, with the backwards sideways U.
The 2005 Mountaineer has a profile outline of a car on the recirculation button.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
lqaddict
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: BMW M235i

Post by lqaddict »

InlinePaul wrote:Too many bells and whistles to the point of making it over complicated. I don't EVER want a touch screen in my car! Here is my list of essentials:

-Manual Transmission (of course :mrgreen: )
-Manual Windows
-Manual Locks
-Analog gauges and odometer, and make those gauges real with numbers, not the Ford dummy oil "gauge" :roll:
-Cable throttle (no drive by wire)
-Fuel Injection and electronic ignition (of course, we are not talking about going back to Model T and such)
-HVAC controls as simple three dial. If it needs separate for the passenger let theirs be complicated, but the driver should be able to adjust without removing eyes from road.
-Radio should be simple dials and push buttons, large enough to manipulate without taking eyes off road. Should be able so surf stations by spinning a dial, none of this push button seek garbage that usually doesn't work right anyway. Sound leveling feature is nice for a car too.

No heated seats, no power seats. And no shift light!

And backup lights that come on anytime but when the car is running and in reverse should be outlawed! (GM you scurvy dogs!)

Five Speeds is fine with 5 as OD so you are running a 4 speed around town. If it's a 6 speed, then I want a creeper gear so that I am still running 4 speed around town. I would love to see a return of column shifters in certain non-performance vehicles.

I will allow for power locks for vehicles with many doors (mini vans in particular), but only so long as you can operate them all fully manually.
I think Top Gear UK designed a car just for you in their latest season.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Shadow wrote:Another cool feature that I really like: Tap the turn signal stalk once to get three flashes of the turn signals. Great for changing lanes on the highway or merging on the highway. Also great for off-ramps.

Oh my, I would really hate that. I tap the turn signal to get one flash, hold it down a split second longer to get two flashes. I'd hate it if it flashed two more times after that.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

potownrob wrote:

+1
didn't have this til the VW, but it is my best friend on the highway. people on the vortex complain about it only flashing 3 times and having to get their cars reprogrammed to flash 5 times, but there are times i only want it to flash 3 times, plus it flashes 4 times if you flick the stalk twice in a row.

Four flashes with two taps? Hmm...I'll have to try that on my Audi. Still though, three flashes seems perfect for my driving style. By the end of the third flash, I'm most likely already in the other lane.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

six wrote:

Oh my, I would really hate that. I tap the turn signal to get one flash, hold it down a split second longer to get two flashes. I'd hate it if it flashed two more times after that.
When would you ever want one flash? I can't think of a situation where I'd want one flash of my turn signals...
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Shadow wrote:When would you ever want one flash? I can't think of a situation where I'd want one flash of my turn signals...
Switching lanes in the middle of the night with no one around. Just so that some assdick cop can't accuse me of switching lanes without signaling, even though I am the only person visible for miles. Also used for switching lanes really quickly, when you're already half-way into the lane. Again, this is with no one in the way who would actually need to see and make use of my signal. I guess it wouldn't matter to me if the signal flashed two more times, but it will probably get on my nerves.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

six wrote:
Shadow wrote:When would you ever want one flash? I can't think of a situation where I'd want one flash of my turn signals...
Switching lanes in the middle of the night with no one around. Just so that some assdick cop can't accuse me of switching lanes without signaling, even though I am the only person visible for miles. Also used for switching lanes really quickly, when you're already half-way into the lane. Again, this is with no one in the way who would actually need to see and make use of my signal. I guess it wouldn't matter to me if the signal flashed two more times, but it will probably get on my nerves.

LOL....if nobody else is around, then why bother signaling at all? I mean, if your fear is that there is some donut-munching cop hiding in the bushes just waiting for you to switch lanes without signaling, then I can only say that three flashes are better than one. After all, he might not recognize a signal flash at all if it's just one single flash. FWIW, I'm always completely aware of my surroundings and if I'm driving without another car in sight (in any direction), then I won't bother signaling at all.

The way I see it, I only have two desired modes when signaling: 1- When turning, which I obviously want the turn signals to stay on until I complete my turn, and 2- When I'm switching lanes or merging onto (or perhaps getting off) the highway, where three flashes seems perfect under most circumstances.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Any more than two taps is masturbation.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I, too, have tap to flash on my car. It took some getting used to because I'm so used to fully activating my signals for a lane change, then manually canceling them upon completion of the lane change. For the first week or so I'd try an manually cancel, but would activate the other side's 3 flash signal. I probably looked neurotic and indecisive to anybody following.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

tankinbeans wrote:I, too, have tap to flash on my car. It took some getting used to because I'm so used to fully activating my signals for a lane change, then manually canceling them upon completion of the lane change. For the first week or so I'd try an manually cancel, but would activate the other side's 3 flash signal. I probably looked neurotic and indecisive to anybody following.
So now that you're used to the feature, do you like it?
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Shadow wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:I, too, have tap to flash on my car. It took some getting used to because I'm so used to fully activating my signals for a lane change, then manually canceling them upon completion of the lane change. For the first week or so I'd try an manually cancel, but would activate the other side's 3 flash signal. I probably looked neurotic and indecisive to anybody following.
So now that you're used to the feature, do you like it?
I like it, when I remember to use it.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

FORD PUTS WI-FI IN OLDER CARS- autoline daily
People increasingly want their cars connected to all the other things they do. But if you own an older car, you’re out of luck since they don’t have those features. That’s why Ford is now offering owners of 2010-2016 model-year vehicles, access to those connectivity features. Called Ford SmartLink, it’s a device that plugs into the car’s OBDII port and provides features including remote start, lock and unlock, 4G Wi-Fi access that can host up to eight devices, and vehicle health, security and location alerts. The device was created in collaboration with Delphi and Verizon and will be available at Ford and Lincoln dealers starting this summer.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedi ... tures.html

This ought to be a real popular post on this Amish forum. Well worth resurecting this thread, right?

Then again, 2010 MY hardly counts as an older car around here.
Last edited by Rope-Pusher on Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I have a wiffy enough car. Phone runs through blue teeth and Freddie even reads emails, mostly to himself. I could allegedly get Facebox if I sync it up to an app called AHA, but I refuse.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport