Manual Lawn Mower

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Manual Lawn Mower

Post by Bill B »

I needed to take my Craftsfman gas mower in for repair. Since the grass will still need to be cut, I needed a back up. I had my dads old reel mower (no motor) in my basement. I took it to the hardware store to get the blades sharpened as they probably not been sharpened for the last 30 years. Was funny that someone in the parking lot asked me what it was. I told them it was a manual mower where your push power turns the blade. They thought it was cool. I guess what is old is new if you have never seen it before.
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Re: Manual Lawn Mower

Post by ClutchDisc »

I like the old manual lawn mowers. Only problem is if you have any sticks in your lawn forget about getting the lawn cut unless you remove all the sticks first.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

It is my understanding that reel mowers do not tolerate grass that has grown too long since the last mow.

Anyway, for those into reel mowers, check this out:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1270555/
Ad reads:
Trade in your old, working gas mower with no gas in it for a free 18" Reel Mower or get a 20" 12 amp electric mower for $75 or get a 20" 24v battery mower for $150. Regular price on those are $99.99, $229.99 and $399.99.
Not available in all stores. This project is being undertaken in connection with the settlement of an enforcement
action on behalf of the EPA.
You can find plenty of free gas mowers on craigslist that don't run well or won't start because the carburetor is clogged with last year's fuel if you don't have one worth trading in.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

I looked up the Pep Boys deal. It was not because they were being nice guys that they were offering this deal, but still could be a good deal for someone wanting a reel mower. It was part of a fine and settlement for importing a bunch of ATV's Generators and Motorcycles from China that did not meed U.S. pollution standards. They also had to pay a 5 million dollar fine. Article at link below:
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/05/11/ ... discounts/
theholycow wrote:It is my understanding that reel mowers do not tolerate grass that has grown too long since the last mow.

Anyway, for those into reel mowers, check this out:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1270555/
Ad reads:
Trade in your old, working gas mower with no gas in it for a free 18" Reel Mower or get a 20" 12 amp electric mower for $75 or get a 20" 24v battery mower for $150. Regular price on those are $99.99, $229.99 and $399.99.
Not available in all stores. This project is being undertaken in connection with the settlement of an enforcement
action on behalf of the EPA.
You can find plenty of free gas mowers on craigslist that don't run well or won't start because the carburetor is clogged with last year's fuel if you don't have one worth trading in.
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Post by 4onthefloor »

This thread had me with visions of ripping through gears on one of those juiced up riding lawnmowers. I am disappointed.
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

4onthefloor wrote:This thread had me with visions of ripping through gears on one of those juiced up riding lawnmowers. I am disappointed.
Hear Iago:
George Jones Lawnmower Story:
"Once, when I had been drunk for several days, Shirley decided she would make it physically impossible for me to buy liquor. I lived about eight miles from Beaumont and the nearest liquor store. She knew I wouldn't walk that far to get booze, so she hid the keys to every car we owned and left.
But she forgot about the lawn mower. I can vaguely remember my anger at not being able to find keys to anything that moved and looking longingly out a window at a light that shone over our property. There, gleaming in the glow, was that ten-horsepower rotary engine under a seat; a key glistening in the ignition.

I imagine the top speed for that old mower was five miles per hour. It might have taken an hour and a half or more for me to get to the liquor store, but get there I did"

Sorry - no mention of what kind of transmixer the lawnmower had.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"