How Many People Do You Know of Who Drive Stick?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

How Many People Do You Know of Who Drive Stick?

Post by ClutchFork »

Me :lol:
My Brother (has 5 manual tranny cars and trucks, some pretty quick like low 11 second quarter mile)
My Sister
My son
Two co-workers (both have jeeps)
A lady who volunteers at my church
One family at my church has at least two manual transmission vehicles
The tire shop across from my church has one manual transmission vehicle for sale
Guy across the street seems to have a stick in one of his vehicles
Probably half a dozen more sticks in my neighborhood though I don't know the people
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: How Many People Do You Know of Who Drive Stick?

Post by AHTOXA »

Aside from fellow standardshifters that I've met in person? Um, a bunch. Most of my friends know how to drive a manual and either have owned a DD manual cars or still do.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

A very large portion of my male friends can and do. I've been teaching my GF, and my dad knows how as well (he taught me).
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Myself, my mom, my girlfriend, her dad, my three most-recent housemates, several of my best buddies, all the guys at my ZHP car club.... I've got quite a few in my life who do...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Can: Most people I can think of that I know, can and most of them have in the past.

Actually do:
Me
Wife
Wife's almost-stepmother
Aunt who lives in Ireland
Friend who moved to Germany and his wife there (also now a friend), I assume they do.

Other:
Aunt's best friend here in the US prefers manuals and we all had a nice talk about it but I think she does not have one...can't remember for sure but I know she strongly prefers them.
One friend did until he developed a health problem (can't remember knee or arm or something).
I have a cousin who might, I'm not sure.
I have another cousin who is a truck driver, if that counts.

My mom definitely can not. She bought a Ford Probe in 1988 when they first came out and she considered getting manual then but decided that the idea was too scary. The automatic was awful, lots of annoying hunting with an I4 that didn't have much torque.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

My brothers, my dad, three of my male friends, me, my mom - badly (she's usually a bundle of nerves and prefers to avoid them, lack of coordination). I only know 3 women who drive manuals with any regularity.

I always wanted to learn when I was younger due to some stupid notion that you can't be a real man unless you drove manuals. Don't ask where it came from because I don't know. The only thing I can think is that my dad always drove sticks and my mom always drove automatics. I figured it was the norm as I never knew any women who drove manuals.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Lots of people. Far too many to list. In fact, I'd say that I know more people who can drive stick than can't drive stick.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Only four of my friends outside of the "car friends" group own manuals. Most of my car friends can, and nearly all who can do.
All of my coworkers obviously can, though only two currently own manuals.
Both of my parents can. Not sure about other relatives. Maybe my aunt?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

dad, most aunts, uncles and cousins, at least half of my neighbors (from what i have been able to tell over the years), at least some of my coworkers at both jobs, some friends and friends of friends. the sad thing (for you diehard SSers at least) is most of these people (myself included atm) no longer drive sticks. my mom and sister couldn't be bothered learning (both had crash courses with my dad and me respectively, but both refused to finish learning), which is part of why i drive a slushbox now.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:my mom and sister couldn't be bothered learning (both had crash courses with my dad and me respectively, but both refused to finish learning), which is part of why i drive a slushbox now.
That was the same reason I drove slush for far too long. Dismissing that reason and going manual was one of the best decisions I ever made. It even ended up converting my wife, now she prefers (and daily drives) 3-pedal.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:
potownrob wrote:my mom and sister couldn't be bothered learning (both had crash courses with my dad and me respectively, but both refused to finish learning), which is part of why i drive a slushbox now.
That was the same reason I drove slush for far too long. Dismissing that reason and going manual was one of the best decisions I ever made. It even ended up converting my wife, now she prefers (and daily drives) 3-pedal.
i hear you, but (i have to be honest here - donning fireproof dog training suit) i don't think i would've opted for the auto just for my family; that's not even the main reason i got an auto this time around.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Somewhere out there is a video of Toonces driving a car with a 3-on-the-tree, but he doesn't shift any better than he drives.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"