Tachometer. Needed or just for fun? Or a crutch?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Tachometer. Needed or just for fun? Or a crutch?

Post by Shadow »

I could easily drive all day every day without a tach.....but the truth is that I'd never want to. I enjoy scanning all of my gauges as I'm driving. It's part of the experience.
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

I don't have a tach, don't really want a tach. There's a beauty in not having a tachometer.

Of course if the car comes with one that's fine.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

InlinePaul wrote: Image
This tach has only terminals on the back. You got to build your own wiring harness.
That tach would be pretty much useless for the majority of today's high-revving engines. Even my car, which makes max torque from 1500 thru 4200 RPM would pin the needle before the torque even started to decline. Imagine using that tach in an S2000 or an RX8! When I first looked at the picture, I honestly thought it must have been a tach from a diesel engine vehicle.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Shadow wrote: That tach would be pretty much useless for the majority of today's high-revving engines. Even my car, which makes max torque from 1500 thru 4200 RPM would pin the needle before the torque even started to decline. Imagine using that tach in an S2000 or an RX8! When I first looked at the picture, I honestly thought it must have been a tach from a diesel engine vehicle.
That old Ford 4.9L inline six acted much like a diesel. Gobs of low end torque, big block feel. I miss it very much, had three of them from 1977 through 2011, but i don't miss the 14 mpg! My Ranger gets 25-26 mpg with my foot into it all the time! :P
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Shadow wrote:

This tach has only terminals on the back. You got to build your own wiring harness.
That tach would be pretty much useless for the majority of today's high-revving engines. Even my car, which makes max torque from 1500 thru 4200 RPM would pin the needle before the torque even started to decline. Imagine using that tach in an S2000 or an RX8! When I first looked at the picture, I honestly thought it must have been a tach from a diesel engine vehicle.
I don't know what you're talking about... An S2000 or RX8 wouldn't even go up to a quarter of its range! It looks more like a tachometer for an electric motor, or a turbine, or something.........
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

six wrote:
Shadow wrote:

I don't know what you're talking about... An S2000 or RX8 wouldn't even go up to a quarter of its range! It looks more like a tachometer for an electric motor, or a turbine, or something.........
I see what you did there....
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

Im guilty. :oops:

I depend on it way to much. I think im going to cover it up for a few days so I can stop. It's not that I can't drive without it, it's just my eyes are accustomed to looking that way. I think if I covered it I would still end up looking that way. :lol:
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Tach still covered. I found myself glancing toward the tach today for help on whether to shift. Now I am glad it is covered. I maybe will never uncover it except for diagnostic purposes.

Before, with just the dummy oil gauge covered (engine off):

Here it is with the Tach and dummy oil gauge covered (engine on):
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

tankinbeans wrote:Primarily, I like having the tach because it balances the dash out.
My dash is pretty balanced without a tach.

09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Nice gauge cluster Clutchdisc. Look how crowded it would be if you had a factory tach:

Yours is a better setup. Puts the most important gauge, the speedometer, direct in front. With the tach, the other gauges get pushed out to the sides making them just a bit less readable on a quick glance while cruising. If you ever get a tach, and I think it is nice for diagnostics and to get your rpm at highway speed, you should mount it where the vacuum gauge is so it is out of the way and does not become a nuisance.

Also all the gauges on the S10 have numbers, not dumb worthless pretend gauges like the Ford has.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:Also all the gauges on the S10 have numbers, not dumb worthless pretend gauges like the Ford has.
Don't believe them too much. I had read that manufacturers have turned gauges into glorified idiot lights but I didn't believe it, since my gauges seem to represent expected reality pretty well...then I started using OBDII equipment to see the actual live data on my 2002 GMC and 2008 VW. Well no wonder my temperature gauges didn't fluctuate much, it wasn't some advanced thermostat technology, it was just the data being massaged to prevent me from having to see my gauge move around. I think at least the oil pressure gauge may be unedited.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Thats correct. Though I dont have numbers, my coolant temp "guage" is programed to stay in the same spot for a significant temp range. My ScanGauge, on the other hand, is not.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

InlinePaul wrote:Nice gauge cluster Clutchdisc. Look how crowded it would be if you had a factory tach:

Yours is a better setup. Puts the most important gauge, the speedometer, direct in front. With the tach, the other gauges get pushed out to the sides making them just a bit less readable on a quick glance while cruising. If you ever get a tach, and I think it is nice for diagnostics and to get your rpm at highway speed, you should mount it where the vacuum gauge is so it is out of the way and does not become a nuisance.

Also all the gauges on the S10 have numbers, not dumb worthless pretend gauges like the Ford has.
There's Olie's cluster. I like watching the oil pressure gauge fluctuate from idle to under load. It's kind of fun to watch. I like his trucky noises, makes it sound like he's doing something useful even if he's just hauling me.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Here is a view of Clifford's dash.

17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!