What is your highest level of education?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!

What is your highest level of Education?

No diploma or degree--I am a dropout
4%
High School or equivalent (GED)
13%
Associates Degree (2 year)
22%
Bachelors Degree (4 year)
22%
Masters Degree
35%
Doctoral Degree
4%

Total votes: 23

Jastreb
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3, Blue

Re: What is your highest level of education?

Post by Jastreb »

Bachelors degree in Aerospace Engineering and Master of Engineering degree in Space Systems.
I guess I wanted to be an astronaut when I was younger... :roll:
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
zenfiz6
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Audi A4 6MT

Post by zenfiz6 »

Jastreb wrote:Bachelors degree in Aerospace Engineering and Master of Engineering degree in Space Systems.
And what do you want to be, now?
2013 -- Present: 2011 Audi A4 6MT (45k---???)
2001 -- 2013 .... 1999 Honda Accord AT (RIP 239k)
1999 -- 2005 .... 1987 Acura Legend 5MT (RIP 174k)
Jastreb
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Jastreb »

It was a semi-self-mocking comment. I got the education that I did because I was inspired by the idea of space exploration. I have since found that real-life aerospace industry is decidedly less glamorous than I imagined it to be. But now I am more focused on personal happiness - which means I may have to make choices in my career that take me away from the space industry.
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Jastreb wrote:Bachelors degree in Aerospace Engineering and Master of Engineering degree in Space Systems.
does that make you a rocket scientist :?: :o :D :twisted: :wink: 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

potownrob wrote:
does that make you a rocket scientist :?: :o :D :twisted: :wink: 8)
It might take a rocket scientist to know the answer to that question...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
zenfiz6
Senior Standardshifter

Post by zenfiz6 »

Jastreb wrote:It was a semi-self-mocking comment. I got the education that I did because I was inspired by the idea of space exploration. I have since found that real-life aerospace industry is decidedly less glamorous than I imagined it to be. But now I am more focused on personal happiness - which means I may have to make choices in my career that take me away from the space industry.
So my question stands.

By the way, welcome to middle age. :lol:

(I pulled the same stunt two years a go. Took a paycut to do it, but I'm much happier now.)
Jastreb
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Jastreb »

potownrob wrote:does that make you a rocket scientist :?: :o :D :twisted: :wink: 8)
Why yes, I suppose it does, 8) :lol: Although actual PhD scientists might take issue with that.
zenfiz6 wrote: So my question stands.

By the way, welcome to middle age. :lol:

(I pulled the same stunt two years a go. Took a paycut to do it, but I'm much happier now.)
Hah, it's never too early for a midlife crisis. :lol:

I wouldn't mind continuing doing what I do, but it's less important to me now than before. I would consider switching to the automotive engineering field if it meant I could live closer to my family/significant other.
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Jastreb wrote:
potownrob wrote:does that make you a rocket scientist :?: :o :D :twisted: :wink: 8)
Why yes, I suppose it does, 8) :lol: Although actual PhD scientists might take issue with that.
I'm not aware of the title "scientist" requiring a PhD. A Doctor of Science, sure. I looked up some dictionary definitions of the word and none required specific qualifications, just practice and/or knowledge of science.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

theholycow wrote: I'm not aware of the title "scientist" requiring a PhD. A Doctor of Science, sure. I looked up some dictionary definitions of the word and none required specific qualifications, just practice and/or knowledge of science.
My mother was a scientist and she never attended college. She learned on the job and eventually worked her way up to scientist after working several related lower level jobs (Technical Assistant, Scientific Assistant, etc...)

I also know two guys who are engineers and neither has a degree in engineering.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Shadow wrote:I also know two guys who are engineers and neither has a degree in engineering.
I'm working on that as we speak. Work at an engineering firm doing the same thing as the engineers, minus the piece of paper and a bit of money.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

theholycow wrote:I'm not aware of the title "scientist" requiring a PhD. A Doctor of Science, sure. I looked up some dictionary definitions of the word and none required specific qualifications, just practice and/or knowledge of science.
Some professions require an advanced degree in order to satisfy state licensing requirements, while others might presuppose one as a matter of convention. But I agree, "scientist" is probably too vague to fit either of those buckets.
2013 Honda Civic Si
zenfiz6
Senior Standardshifter

Post by zenfiz6 »

Given that a "scientist" ostensibly performs experiments and analyzes the data, anyone with the skills to do that who makes a living doing so can be called a "scientist."

Typically, one would expect such a person to hold a Ph.D. for three reasons:
  1. To earn a Ph.D. in the sciences, you have to show that you can do a little bit of research and analyze the results. So this degree often---but not always---means the person has been sanctioned to perform research by some accredited academic institution.
  2. Most businesses prefer to out-source everything. Therefore, they'll out-source their training as well and prefer to hire Ph.D.'s into their R&D departments.
  3. To cover their butts, most places that hire into "scientist" spots will require a Ph.D. of the applicant so that, if something goes wrong, they can point to the degree and say "we did the right thing hiring the person."
Government positions require Ph.D.s if the applicant applies for any "scientist" position.

Having gone through the process and having seen others do the same, it's just amazing who makes it through the process and who doesn't. I know Stanford Ph.D.s who couldn't think their way through the proverbial paper bag; and I know very intelligent people from much lesser institutions who just should have finished their degree.

And it always amazes me when people say the moral equivalent of "Oh, you're a doctor. You must know what you're talking about."

:(

I should stop now before I start ranting about people not wanting to know anything anymore... :P

Edit: figured out how to use the "list" code.
kamesama980
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kamesama980 »

95% of course credit for a BFA in tech theatre that I got before that. Then shifted directions and got a BAS in automotive tech (more brainy than a technician, not as much as an engineer tho). Now I work for heavy duty diesel R&D. Bolts are bolts, it's just the scale that changes.
-Russ
2012 Nissan Frontier 4.0l M6 4x4
1990 Toyota Cressida 3.0l M5
1994 Pontiac Firebird LT1 M6
1970 Volkwagen Beetle M4
1990 Suzuki VX800 SM5