Tipping

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Tipping

Post by tankinbeans »

I know exactly what everybody is saying about servers who seem to come at the exact wrong time (right after I've taken a bite) and I have to try and give them an answer. I underarms that they're supposed to check back and can't gauge the exact moment to reappear for every table, so they do their level best. At that point I usually cover my trap with the back of my hand so I can answer. Because I wasn't born in a barn, I don't think everybody should see or hear me eating. Am effort at politeness is usually appreciated.

If only my friends tried, I'd be less disgusted most of the time. Instead I get an eyeful and an earful of their barnyard nature. [/mini rant]
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:I know exactly what everybody is saying about servers who seem to come at the exact wrong time (right after I've taken a bite) and I have to try and give them an answer. I underarms that they're supposed to check back and can't gauge the exact moment to reappear for every table, so they do their level best. At that point I usually cover my trap with the back of my hand so I can answer. Because I wasn't born in a barn, I don't think everybody should see or hear me eating. Am effort at politeness is usually appreciated.

If only my friends tried, I'd be less disgusted most of the time. Instead I get an eyeful and an earful of their barnyard nature. [/mini rant]
Eyes wear some servers behave like they are just checking items off a list -
Ask how the food is - Check
Ask if they need a refill - Check
Ask if they want to look at the dessert menu - Check
...all the while interrupting the diner's meal and conversation with tablemates.

I don't want the server to interrupt me, I just want them to be available when I need something of them. Diners that look away from their table mid-meal probably need some help from their server and are looking to find them so they can get their attention and make a request of them.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Krimsalt
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Krimsalt »

tankinbeans wrote:
I usually move the decimal place, double it, and round to the nearest dollar.
Lol, that's quite the system.

If service is bad, I'll tip $1 or $2
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:One of my biggest annoyances is when I'm sitting there, itching to leave, and they won't bring me the bill. It's as if I have nothing better to do than sit at a table in a restaurant hearing all the noise of the other patrons and such. It's like the restaurant version of rev-hang.

When everyone at my table appears to be done, I'd prefer they come right over with the bill, ask if there's anything else we want, offer dessert (if applicable), and if we say no then hand over the bill. Most of the time I already have my cash or plastic out and I could glance at the bill, see that the price is as expected, and hand it right back. However, I know that it would occasionally waste time to print and bring a bill to a table that turns out not to be finished, so it would be acceptable for them to come right over without it and if we say no then go print it and bring it.

Even if they hand me the bill without asking if I want something else I won't be afraid to say "Actually I'd like another beer."
If you ever have a µCow, you'll appreciate being able to make a quick exit even more. Going out to eat in the evening can mean that you rapidly approach the time where a kid gets tired enough to just be grumpy.

However, I would prefer to not have the bill brought until after asked for dessert (if applicable). When the bill is brought before that, it makes it seem like they are trying to rush you out, rather than getting refills or dessert or something THEN bringing the check.
Krimsalt wrote:Lol, that's quite the system.
Can't tell if serious...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Krimsalt wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:I usually move the decimal place, double it, and round to the nearest dollar.
Lol, that's quite the system.
That's pretty much how I do it.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD