Whats old is new in automotive marketing

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Whats old is new in automotive marketing

Post by Bill B »

I just saw an ad on TV for one of the Dodge Ram Trucks. They were bragging about the virtues of the Torqueflite auto transmission. Chrysler started calling their slushbox auto a Torqueflite back in 1956. I guess they figure that all of these young folk had never heard that term before, so why not use it again. Toyota had an ad campaign a year or so ago that wanted you to ask the person that drives one. Packard had a similar slogan in 1901 that would not be politically correct today that said "Ask The Man That Owns One" Dodge has the fairly new Dart. Most people under 30 or 35 would not remember the old Dart, so why not use the name again. I remember my parents old 1969 Dodge Dart that I drove without the parents permission before I was 16 and got a license. It had the old 273 V8 in it. I guess that car companies recycle old ideas when they run out of new ones.
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Whats old is new in automotive marketing

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Bill B wrote:I just saw an ad on TV for one of the Dodge Ram Trucks. They were bragging about the virtues of the Torqueflite auto transmission. Chrysler started calling their slushbox auto a Torqueflite back in 1956. I guess they figure that all of these young folk had never heard that term before, so why not use it again. Toyota had an ad campaign a year or so ago that wanted you to ask the person that drives one. Packard had a similar slogan in 1901 that would not be politically correct today that said "Ask The Man That Owns One" Dodge has the fairly new Dart. Most people under 30 or 35 would not remember the old Dart, so why not use the name again. I remember my parents old 1969 Dodge Dart that I drove without the parents permission before I was 16 and got a license. It had the old 273 V8 in it. I guess that car companies recycle old ideas when they run out of new ones.
I can never finger out why they think it's OK to discontinue a carline and then resurrect the name onto something very different years later. The last GTO deserved a different name, as does the latest Cherokee, the middle-years Challenger,
the FWD Charger, the late-model Charger.....the list goes on and on.
Also, GM seems to have renamed nearly every truck they make, Ford renamed the Taurus and then switched back again, and who can forget the Rabbit/Golf?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

It's got to be increasingly difficult to come up with new names. Besides lack of originality there are all sorts of studies that need to be done to make sure you won't step on anybody's trademark, offend anybody, mean anything silly in another language, etc. An old name is grandfathered past all those issues so resurrecting it is easy and cheap, and of course may contribute some value by reminding people of something they liked back then.

I do think it was a shame to use the Charger name on a FWD subcompact though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Charger_(L-body)
They could at least have called it the Charger II...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

It seems that if they don't resurrect old names and reuse them, you just get letters for your cars name. MDX, MKZ, MKS, MKX, CX-5.....etc. Comon, can't they come up with anything more creative? :o
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

You mean like Geoff?