Any watch guys in here?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Re: Any watch guys in here?

Post by six »

bk7794 wrote:I've been thinking about wearing my very basic probably cheapest entry stainless Seiko watch as more of a 'casual' watch. I was just wondering from more watch guys if it'll look goofy.

It looks sort of like that. The faceplate looks the same.

The reason I ask about the seiko is that I have it just sitting around doing nothing. I'm in college so the amount of times I'm wearing dress clothing is few and far between at the moment.
Don't know why you think you'll look goofy. There are plenty of people wearing metal watches as casual watches. To tell you the truth, no one would even notice you're even wearing a watch most of the time.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

bk7794 - Not to worry. Although your Seiko pic is not showing up, I'm guessing (from your description) that it fits the mold of a "sport" or "casual" watch to begin with, especially if it has a stainless steel bracelet.

Purists would say that a small, thin watch with a black leather strap and a simple, uncluttered white dial goes best with a suit. But I agree with six; most people will never notice your choice of watch anyway.
Last edited by Boston Fit on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Honda Civic Si
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Very true. Especially when it came to long sleeve shirts. I kind of like the flow of a steel watch both with a suit and kind of as a casual watch. Plus I think the faceplate looks simple enough where it doesn't look like I'm trying to be a wannabe rich man.

Just incase the picture didn't show up for anyone it looks like this.

http://www.jomashop.com/seiko-mens-watch-sgeg03.html
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

BK - aside from that style of watch being currently in with the hipsters, there's nothing wrong with it. I'd wear it regardless.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

That watch is definitely versatile, style-wise. It's hard to imagine a situation where it would be inappropriate, from the beach to the boardroom. Plus, bracelets have the advantage of being both weatherproof and permanent (no strap changes required).

Since yours is a quartz watch, one thing that will need changing is the battery, once every few years. If you're ever looking for a mechanical watch in a similar price range, the same website shows a bunch of them under the category of "Seiko Diver Watches." Of those, perhaps the most iconic model is SKX007 - which is chunkier and even more casual than yours. Mechanical watches have their quirks, but they are fun and require no battery.
2013 Honda Civic Si
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

AHTOXA wrote:BK - aside from that style of watch being currently in with the hipsters, there's nothing wrong with it. I'd wear it regardless.
Ah, I'm not up on the latest fashion trends haha so I actually did not know about it.

But thank you guys for the advice.
Boston Fit wrote:That watch is definitely versatile, style-wise. It's hard to imagine a situation where it would be inappropriate, from the beach to the boardroom. Plus, bracelets have the advantage of being both weatherproof and permanent (no strap changes required).

Since yours is a quartz watch, one thing that will need changing is the battery, once every few years. If you're ever looking for a mechanical watch in a similar price range, the same website shows a bunch of them under the category of "Seiko Diver Watches." Of those, perhaps the most iconic model is SKX007 - which is chunkier and even more casual than yours. Mechanical watches have their quirks, but they are fun and require no battery.
Mine actually has a solar panel on it. I assume the battery still would need to be replaced at one time or another?

Also what about with T-shirts and short sleeves? Still good?
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

T-shirts, short sleeves ... I don't see why not. And yes, solar watches have rechargeable batteries but I don't know if they are replaceable. I suppose they would last longer than regular batteries.
2013 Honda Civic Si
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Boston Fit wrote:T-shirts, short sleeves ... I don't see why not. And yes, solar watches have rechargeable batteries but I don't know if they are replaceable. I suppose they would last longer than regular batteries.
Oh noes :/ ohwell. Better than letting it sit in the box not wearing it.

Thanks for all your help guys :D
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I would have imagined they're like solar/battery calculators where they run on solar when possible, else they run on a non-rechargeable battery.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I disagree that metal bands don't need to be replaced. I had a relatively cheap Armitron for 13 years, wore it all the time, the band finally failed after I'd worn through clasp. Cut my wrist on it a few times.

Then again, I funny understand watches as accessories. They are useful pieces of clothing/jewelery.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

BK - disregard what I said earlier. I was looking at another image and not yours.

Cow - solar watches have rechargeable batteries and solar power is used to recharge and power the watch whenever available.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

AHTOXA wrote:BK - disregard what I said earlier. I was looking at another image and not yours.

Cow - solar watches have rechargeable batteries and solar power is used to recharge and power the watch whenever available.
Ah them rectangular casio watches?

I was thinking about one of them aswell. So today was my first day wearing the seiko out. Must say I think I looked good. :D

Yeah, I once left the watch in the box. Battery was dead. Charged it up via putting it in the sun.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Yeah I was talking about the rectangual Casio.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
zenfiz6
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Audi A4 6MT

Post by zenfiz6 »

Before the days of smartphones, I used to wear a watch.

Then I got a very nice pocket watch.

Then I got a smart phone.

I would wear a watch again if I could get something unusual. Say, a 24-hour dial or sidereal time (or both!). I think it would be fun to mess with the person next to me who's trying to sneak a peek at my watch to tell the time. ;-)

The Earth rotates ONCE in 24 hours. Why does my hour hand go around twice?
2013 -- Present: 2011 Audi A4 6MT (45k---???)
2001 -- 2013 .... 1999 Honda Accord AT (RIP 239k)
1999 -- 2005 .... 1987 Acura Legend 5MT (RIP 174k)
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I stopped wearing a watch about the time I got my first cellphone and didn't wear one for just over a decade after that happened. Then I needed something rugged, durable and useful (compass, thermo and other gadgets) that I can use outdoors and not have it get damaged; something I can use in the camp or on hikes to tell direction of heading. I use the stopwatch and timer (often at the same time) while cooking.

Since then, a good, durable outdoor watch that packs a TON of functionality has become indispensable to me. I have no use for a dress watch, however. None.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650