Feeling conflicted

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Feeling conflicted

Post by AHTOXA »

OK. those on this forum that been around know how much I loved my old white xterra. I certainly posted enough pictures of her here.

Tonight I found who has her now and contacted the guy to see if he would sell her. The truck is still in IL. I don't k ow for sure that he still has it or what condition it is in, but it is registered to him right now.

I feel very conflicted. It is like running into an old girlfriend that you split up with for a stupid reason. You miss her but you don't like running into her because it stirs up emotions. That is how I feel now and on one hand I wish she runs and he sells her and on the other I wish to leave it alone and better not know.

Still miss that truck to death and really don't want to be disappointed but I do need to find out where this thing stands. Hopefully I hear soon. I am not much of an emotional person but this thing surely struck a note. It was the only vehicle out of those I have ever owned that I miss so dearly. And the funny thing is, it wasn't the fastest, not the most comfy, not the most of road capable, the the prettiest, not top anything of all the cars since and yet 6 years after I sold her she still holds a place in my heart. What the hell is going on?
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Feeling conflicted

Post by potownrob »

tony, i hear you man, but i think you need to get back to your rational roots for a second here. you're talking about buying back a truck that is now 6 years older than it was when you sold it. also, don't forget it didn't even have a stick (okay, maybe that's not the most rational argument, but it could be important to you either way). who knows what shape it's in now and, even if it has been babied, it's been through 6 more northern winters. who knows, maybe i could be wrong, and having her back would put a big grin on your face, but it seems off-kilter to me. i'd try to find a newer xterra and preferably from closer to where you are now (or at least the south).
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Well, I'll see if the guy even has it still and if he does, if he's willing to part with it. I am not holding my breath on anything here.

Problem is, no other Xterra would do. It's not about the model or the make it's about the actual vehicle. It was the first 'nice' car I bought myself. Later it was a project that I did entirely myself. All the mods and most of the repairs were done by me. I think that the reason for the significance of this vehicle is two-fold. 1 - it was the vehicle that got me into cars. 2 - it was the vehicle that got me into wheeling and I learned just about all I know about wrenching on that truck. I wheeled it a lot and I broke it a bunch. Then I fixed it and I learned.

Too many fond memories. Even replacing 8 blown alternators over the years while lying in the mud on the trails are fond memories. Just about 10 years after I bought it and 6 years after I sold it I have found it. I really wonder what she looks like now and I wonder if the owner(s) kept my mods on it.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

You can't go home again. What it was and who you were have changed.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
kamesama980
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kamesama980 »

Rope-Pusher wrote:You can't go home again. What it was and who you were have changed.
Agreed

Even if you got it back and it weren't a pile of rust from 6 more illinois winters, still ran great, etc. It'll never live up to your memory of it.
-Russ
2012 Nissan Frontier 4.0l M6 4x4
1990 Toyota Cressida 3.0l M5
1994 Pontiac Firebird LT1 M6
1970 Volkwagen Beetle M4
1990 Suzuki VX800 SM5
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Either way, the guy that owns it is not responding. So I may let the sleeping dogs lie.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650