Officially a Texan. Bought a firearm

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Officially a Texan. Bought a firearm

Post by AHTOXA »

Had a price range of <$500 and picked this up today. Out of various 9mm I've shot before as well as dry-fired at the store, this was FAR and away the best feeling grip. I found most grips out there are too small and too short for me but this was just right. The curve in the grip is very comfortable as well and I don't expect any issues firing. Trigger is very smooth at 6.6 lbs and doesn't feel jerky or grainy and is probably second best trigger I've felt before next to H&K. As far as accessories go, I'll probably buy a tactical light to mount to the rail under the barrel but need to do some research on those first.

The only con is there's no manual safety, however I don't plan on carrying it with one in the chamber so I'm not too worried about it. Went out, read a ton of positive reviews and bought it. Picked up some ammo and cleaning supplies. Off to the shooting range tomorrow!

Oh and you walk in, buy and walk out with a gun 15 mins later here. Because Texas.

'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Re: Officially a Texan. Bought a firearm

Post by mtheis »

Nice! I think a 9mm might be my next big purchase later this year. I really want to get my CHL.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Honestly, I thought the weird grip was going to be its downfall but for my large hands - it's a godsend. Very ergonomic. Can't wait to to shot this sucker.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

AHTOXA wrote:
The only con is there's no manual safety, however I don't plan on carrying it with one in the chamber so I'm not too worried about it.
I don't know, mang. When shit goes down, it happens quickly and you may not have a chance to rack the slide before an assailant is on you. As long as you have a good, stiff holster that completely covers the trigger guard you'll have nothing to worry about. I've always read that if you have concerns about carrying chambered, you could carry the gun around empty but cocked, and at the end of the day check to see if the gun has dry-fired itself at some point.

Nice gun, though. The grip looks odd, but I can see how it would actually be comfortable.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

uber uber jelly. you have to jump through 1000 flaming hoops to get a license up in here. texas on my mind...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Michigan is pretty good for gun purchasing. For rifles and shotguns, you fill out a 4473, the store calls the ATF, and if they give the all clear you pay and walk out with your new gun. Buying a pistol kind of sucks, you either have to have a CPL or go to the police station and get a permit to purchase (which is instantaneous, no waiting period or anything). I really need to get my CPL. I planned on doing it right when I turned 21, but here I am almost 22 and I still haven't taken the class.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Always been a big fan of Walther.

Major props man.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

So went to the range today and put about 125 rounds through it. Immediately the gun received multiple compliments from the staff. Very pleased so far - the grip is paying off well. The gun is accurate, me - not so much. My grouping is livable but shots are hitting left to target - trigger issues. I need to work on smoothing my trigger work. Once I'm familiar with the gun itself, it should improve as well.

This was my troubleshooting target. 10 rounds or so at 7 yards exactly. Mouse is in picture for scaling - the sheet is regular printer page size.

Definitely need some trigger practice.

'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
kevinf
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kevinf »

They just passed a bill allowing the legally blind to carry firearms in Iowa... looks like they did the same in Texas :mrgreen:
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Yeah, pretty much. I definitely need work.

My previous shooting has been always on varied guns in various stages of wear, so I never had any consistency, plus I've shot less than 1k rounds overall.

Right now I'm working on scoring some cheap 9mm ammo and I hear that Walmart actually has a box of 100 for $20, which is great. However, I hear that they are often out of stock on it as well.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Nice acquisition, Tony!

I've never seen one of those troubleshooting targets before - very cool training aid.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

kevinf wrote:They just passed a bill allowing the legally blind to carry firearms in Iowa... looks like they did the same in Texas :mrgreen:
I thought you were clowning but I googled it.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... ones-a-fan
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
kevinf
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kevinf »

Yep, no clowning. That particular piece of news sparked a huge debate on another forum I'm on. But it's really really simple. Are they legally competent? Then they have all the rights a sighted person does.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter

Post by noob5,000,000 »

kevinf wrote:They just passed a bill allowing the legally blind to carry firearms in Iowa... looks like they did the same in Texas :mrgreen:
Harsh! :mrgreen:
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Well, just as I thought. Went to Walmart and there's zip for 9mm. An older fella happened to be stocking the ammo cabinet at that time so I chatted with him a bit. He told me that 9mm and .22 will sell out within hours of being on the shelf. Shipments come in at random days and it's not unheard of to go 2-3 days with empty shelves. Said they stock the shelf around 6pm after the deliveries and that's the best time to shop. Limit of 3 cases of single caliber per person per day.

Looks like I have to call them daily if I stand a chance at scoring cheap 9mm.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650