Why traffic exists

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Why traffic exists

Post by theholycow »

Apparently that's a pretty common point of view, based on observed behavior.

I don't find it exciting at all, and I find waiting at a complete stop at a red light horrifically tedious and boring...making the green light is much more pleasant for me.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:Apparently that's a pretty common point of view, based on observed behavior.

I don't find it exciting at all, and I find waiting at a complete stop at a red light horrifically tedious and boring...making the green light is much more pleasant for me.
I would rather be moving and not having to stop than being quicker to get to a light and wait. I enjoy driving more than sitting :wink: :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Squint wrote: I would rather be moving and not having to stop than being quicker to get to a light and wait. I enjoy driving more than sitting :wink: :lol:
But then you miss extra times for rowing through the gears. But I know what you mean, many times I prefer catching all the greens and will throttle back to make a light without having to drop down to first. Guess it all depends on how I feel at the time, where I am going, and how much time I have.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:But then you miss extra times for rowing through the gears.
This, indeed, is the weakness of that strategy...but I still prefer that strategy anyway.

Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:
This, indeed, is the weakness of that strategy...but I still prefer that strategy anyway.
Well, the best balance is having to slow down/speed up just a little each time... so you row the gears a little, but not all the way. Then you get a balance of driving pleasure + better economy :D

For Pony!
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

Squint wrote:
theholycow wrote:
Well, the best balance is having to slow down/speed up just a little each time... so you row the gears a little, but not all the way. Then you get a balance of driving pleasure + better economy :D
Well, you don't have to change speed to shift gears you know. I can keep going the same speed and rev match downshift one gear at a time if I want. :D
2012 VW Golf R
zenfiz6
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Audi A4 6MT

Post by zenfiz6 »

daleadbull wrote: Well, you don't have to change speed to shift gears you know. I can keep going the same speed and rev match downshift one gear at a time if I want. :D
I've been playing this game a bit. But I'm usually at 45 doing 6->3 and back. Sometimes it's good, sometimes I put on my neck brace.
2013 -- Present: 2011 Audi A4 6MT (45k---???)
2001 -- 2013 .... 1999 Honda Accord AT (RIP 239k)
1999 -- 2005 .... 1987 Acura Legend 5MT (RIP 174k)
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

zenfiz6 wrote:
daleadbull wrote: Well, you don't have to change speed to shift gears you know. I can keep going the same speed and rev match downshift one gear at a time if I want. :D
I've been playing this game a bit. But I'm usually at 45 doing 6->3 and back. Sometimes it's good, sometimes I put on my neck brace.
I have a nice mental image of Zenfiz whipping his hair back and forth like Willow Smith (I had to look up her name.. Will Smith's daughter). :lol: :lol: :lol:

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:Well, the best balance is having to slow down/speed up just a little each time... so you row the gears a little, but not all the way. Then you get a balance of driving pleasure + better economy :D
With the haphazardly timed lights around here, that is actually a necessary part of the strategy anyway!

zenfiz6
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Audi A4 6MT

Post by zenfiz6 »

Squint wrote:
zenfiz6 wrote:
I have a nice mental image of Zenfiz whipping his hair back and forth like Willow Smith (I had to look up her name.. Will Smith's daughter). :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sometimes I Wish I was a Pretty Girl by Robyn Hitchcock comes to mind. :P
The GF would be all over me growing my hair long. Not sure if I could rock the skinny jeans, though. :lol:
2013 -- Present: 2011 Audi A4 6MT (45k---???)
2001 -- 2013 .... 1999 Honda Accord AT (RIP 239k)
1999 -- 2005 .... 1987 Acura Legend 5MT (RIP 174k)
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

theholycow wrote:Apparently that's a pretty common point of view, based on observed behavior.

I recall reading something that lights are timed to allow you to hit most on green if you maintain the limit. Obviously, you'll hot a few red lights, but maintaining the limit is your best bet to avoid stopping completely. I notice when I stay steady I'll get mostly greens.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:I recall reading something that lights are timed to allow you to hit most on green if you maintain the limit. Obviously, you'll hot a few red lights, but maintaining the limit is your best bet to avoid stopping completely. I notice when I stay steady I'll get mostly greens.
Some are timed. Even then, often they are not timed to match the limit, which defeats the purpose.

Last night I was on a road I don't see often. It has properly timed lights. In a rare reversal of what I usually encounter, nobody was going the speed limit and I had to get past the cluster so I could cruise through green lights. They were also accelerating at a glacial pace like everyone I ever see.

Before I got there I encountered a traffic wave system (on a highway I don't usually use) and decided to go ahead and use that empty right lane until it disappeared, then got in a nice open space in front of a tractor trailer (while traffic ahead of it was in the accelerating phase of the wave, no danger and only rude in a "me first" way, which this thread tells me is not rude at all). I bypassed 98% of the backup, that was the last acceleration in the wave system, and didn't even slow anyone down since the tractor trailer wasn't accelerating as fast.

ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

I have a light on the way to work where there is another light just a short block away. When the first light turns green you have to hit it hard to make the second light. If you are not at the front, forget it.

My alternate route I have been taking to avoid that light among other inconveniences also has a similar situation but the second light is a long block away and you don't have to hit it quite as hard but still need to be up front.

Timing is everthing!
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

IP, your story reminds me of a drive I took the other night. I hit every single light on the journey because the tards in their mommy vans would continuously take about 5 blocks to get to speed, might be exaggerating - but there is no reason to mosey up to the limit.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

tankinbeans wrote: I recall reading something that lights are timed to allow you to hit most on green if you maintain the limit.
Almost all the traffic lights in Manhattan are set up that way. For the most part, when you get one green light, you get them all....so you'll have clear sailing until your time runs out and then they all turn red.