Range Rover FTW

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Range Rover FTW

Post by ClutchFork »

Shadow wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:.... Surprised the banker in the RR ....
What makes you think he was a banker? Did you read that somewhere or did you just make that up in your head? My neighbor has the same exact Range Rover and he doesn't even have a real job...he just sells crap on ebay.
I thought he is a banker because I recalled seeing that in one of the articles or hearing it in one of the videos, but maybe I was mistaken. Anyway, no not expecting a banker just because it is a Ranger Rover. Could be a lawyer, who knows.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

InlinePaul wrote:
Shadow wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:.... Surprised the banker in the RR ....
What makes you think he was a banker? Did you read that somewhere or did you just make that up in your head? My neighbor has the same exact Range Rover and he doesn't even have a real job...he just sells crap on ebay.
I thought he is a banker because I recalled seeing that in one of the articles or hearing it in one of the videos, but maybe I was mistaken. Anyway, no not expecting a banker just because it is a Ranger Rover. Could be a lawyer, who knows.
LOL...he may very well be a banker. But my point is that you don't have to be a banker (or a lawyer, for that matter) to drive a Range Rover. Like I said, my neighbor has one and he barely graduated high school.
Last edited by Shadow on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Shadow wrote: But my point is that you don't have to be a banker (or a lawyer, for that matter) to drive a Range Rover.
I know that. He could be a garbage truck driver or a hamburger flipper for that matter.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Shadow wrote:
bk7794 wrote:There were 200 911 calls. Really makes me feel safe about calling 911.
People have to understand that this was in NYC. Most cops in the city aren't in cars. And the ones that are would likely need more time to catch up with them on the West Side Highway.

Believe me, you rarely even see a cop car on the West Side Highway.
You rarely see a cop on ANY highway. Which is why nobody really follows the speedlimit.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

You ever drive the Mass Pike? Or any highway in MD?
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

I've driven on the Mass Pike. I see them every so often. But isn't the barracks on the highway?
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

bk7794 wrote:
You rarely see a cop on ANY highway. Which is why nobody really follows the speedlimit.
I wouldn't say that. The Garden State Parkway has cops all over the place. In Manhattan, there really aren't any highways other than roads like the one in the video (West Side Highway, which becomes the Henry Hudson Parkway as you go north towards the George Washington Bridge) and you don't often see cops on it at all. It's a sort of "free for all" because most city people know that cops aren't around much at all. I've seen some crazy crap on that road.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote: You rarely see a cop on ANY highway. Which is why nobody really follows the speedlimit.
maybe out your way; there are lots of them on the thruway, taconic, 84 and other highways around here, along with highways down near shadow like the garden state and 287. the city seems to have a different culture (in many ways), where the cops focus on different things than up our way and in other more open areas. there are areas where you can speed in the city, but it is hard to go too crazy speedwise (at least not for long) on the real streets of manhattan, queens, brooklyn, etc. since you either hit traffic, have to turn, or run out of road, sooner than in rural areas. the roads are often more narrow too, and don't seemed designed for high speed driving. i usually don't go much faster than the 50 mph speed limit, since i'm often afraid of side-swiping other cars, hitting the sidewalls of the roads or flipping my car on the rougher stretches of road. the cops have to focus on other things too, and there is lots of revenue to be had from things like parking tickets, fender benders and drug busts.
Shadow wrote:The Garden State Parkway has cops all over the place. In Manhattan, there really aren't any highways other than roads like the one in the video (West Side Highway, which becomes the Henry Hudson Parkway as you go north towards the George Washington Bridge) and you don't often see cops on it at all. It's a sort of "free for all" because most city people know that cops aren't around much at all. I've seen some crazy crap on that road.
yeah, i've always found it strange there are almost never any cops on the highways and, when there are, they don't seem to be there to get the speeders. cross the river into NJ and you get cops pulling people over all over the place :lol: 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

mtheis wrote:Image

LOL, that is awesome. Did you make that or did you find it somewhere? :lol: :lol: :lol:
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Interesting. Different mode to drive past a pine tree than to drive past a cactus. :wink:
Stick shiftin since '77
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

Shadow wrote:LOL, that is awesome. Did you make that or did you find it somewhere? :lol: :lol: :lol:
New terrain setting on a land rover at work today
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »