To leave a note/confront or not?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: To leave a note/confront or not?

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Did you ever see the movie "Brewster's Millions"?
Brewster had to learn how to waste money before he became eligible for a big inheritance, the theory being he would actually be learning how NOT to waste money.

Well, there was a little-known sequel, "Brewster's Neighbors", where our pal Brewster has to learn how to become an obnoxious neighbor before he is awarded with great neighbors. He takes to playing music all too loudly, even when he's not at home, sweeping his balcony when the neighbors are enjoying their balcony, grilling dog logs, cooking with excessive amounts of garlic, fish, and cabbage, storing garbage on the patio, parking people in, dragging large boxes up and down the stairway, hosting drunken orgies, having loud arguments, thumping barbells onto the floor, etc., until the bad neighbors move. Then, the voluptuous new neighbor move in and he knows all the things not to do if he wants to keep her as a neighbor.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

potownrob wrote:do you have a/c??
Yes, I have central air with a dedicated unit outside. However, I don't want to use it when it's mid 60's outside during the day and mid 40's at night. With open windows, this makes for perfect daytime and nighttime temps inside.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:
potownrob wrote:do you have a/c??
Yes, I have central air with a dedicated unit outside. However, I don't want to use it when it's mid 60's outside during the day and mid 40's at night. With open windows, this makes for perfect daytime and nighttime temps inside.
I've have this exact problem (the smoking and whatnot) at my current apartment and the one before that. It isn't even just with the windows open, but leaking through the walls. POS. I'm all for people being able to do what they want... except when it means I can't use half of my apartment. We'll be moving yet again from a very nice area because we manage to keep having neighbors that smoke.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Personally, I think it's a really shitty thing to do - smoke inside your home. To me, that's pretty trashy. I used to smoke but I never smoked inside.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

In generations past, it was normal and accepted, just a fact of life like going to the bathroom in the house instead of going to an outhouse.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Perhaps. My opinion is based on my limited experiences with walking into smokers' homes.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
dakta1420
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2014 ford focus should 5s

Post by dakta1420 »

you could try calmly an non offensively mention it to her she may be very polite and try to move somewhere else or maybe a fan or something. if she doesn't you may have to fix it as much as possible on your own side of the deal. that's the fun part of living in an apt.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

AHTOXA wrote:Perhaps. My opinion is based on my limited experiences with walking into smokers' homes.
I hate cigarette smoke in a big way...a really big way. If someone smokes inside their home, the stench gets into every fiber, from the furniture to the carpeting to the curtains. It's really disgusting....and the same goes for cars. In my opinion, people who smoke in their cars just ruin the cars. The smell will never be gone completely.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

see if they will switch apartments with you

:lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:In generations past, it was normal and accepted, just a fact of life like going to the bathroom in the house instead of going to an outhouse.
There was significant resistance to the adoption of indoor plumbing, because "What kind of a person would ever take a dump in their house?"
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Shadow wrote:In my opinion, people who smoke in their cars just ruin the cars. The smell will never be gone completely.

I disagree. I've successfully removed smoke smell from two cars, one of which is my S-10. And I'm talking a bad stale smoke smell that is now gone completely. You would never know they once smelled like smoke, you can't even smell it if you bury your head in the seat and smell deep down in the cushion.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
dakta1420
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2014 ford focus should 5s

Post by dakta1420 »

ClutchDisc wrote:
Shadow wrote:In my opinion, people who smoke in their cars just ruin the cars. The smell will never be gone completely.

I disagree. I've successfully removed smoke smell from two cars, one of which is my S-10. And I'm talking a bad stale smoke smell that is now gone completely. You would never know they once smelled like smoke, you can't even smell it if you bury your head in the seat and smell deep down in the cushion.

Smelling my moms car, it has to be very hard to get rid of!!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

i used to smoke and smoked in my cars, especially earlier on in my smoking years. my cars never really reeked of smoke (though you could tell they had been smoked in), even the ones i smoked in whenever i was driving them. proper ventilation and cycling of A/C, fan, defroster and heat modes ensured the smoke didn't stay in the HVAC system too. running the heater on full blast with the windows closed for a while then opening the windows seemed to do the trick too. i never really studied the proper methods of ventilating a smoked out car, but i learned some tricks from a friend who smoked a lot in his car (and not just tobacco) and figured out other things on my own. most air fresheners don't do too much, but many of those renuzit air fresheners with the slide up body and wax thing worked well, especially if you left them open in the car for a day or more.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

dakta1420 wrote:
ClutchDisc wrote:

It wasn't easy, it took a lot of hard work and cleaning.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:i used to smoke and smoked in my cars, especially earlier on in my smoking years. my cars never really reeked of smoke (though you could tell they had been smoked in), even the ones i smoked in whenever i was driving them. proper ventilation and cycling of A/C, fan, defroster and heat modes ensured the smoke didn't stay in the HVAC system too. running the heater on full blast with the windows closed for a while then opening the windows seemed to do the trick too. i never really studied the proper methods of ventilating a smoked out car, but i learned some tricks from a friend who smoked a lot in his car (and not just tobacco) and figured out other things on my own. most air fresheners don't do too much, but many of those renuzit air fresheners with the slide up body and wax thing worked well, especially if you left them open in the car for a day or more.
It also helps to have a smoker's sense of smell, so when the smell is 40% gone you will think it's 100% gone.
ClutchDisc wrote:
dakta1420 wrote:
ClutchDisc wrote:I disagree. I've successfully removed smoke smell from two cars, one of which is my S-10. And I'm talking a bad stale smoke smell that is now gone completely. You would never know they once smelled like smoke, you can't even smell it if you bury your head in the seat and smell deep down in the cushion.
It wasn't easy, it took a lot of hard work and farting.
Fickset.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD