Best/worst new car designs

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
IMBoring25

Re: Best/worst new car designs

Post by IMBoring25 »

What does the new Cherokee have to offer that the Nissan Juke doesn't?
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Shadow wrote:By far the absolute worst new design to my eyes is the new Jeep Cherokee. Nothing else even comes close. No matter how hard I try, I still can't figure out what the hell they were thinking when the designed that thing.
The Cherokee might be ugly, but the Grand Cherokee looks pretty good in my opinion. As does the new Dodge Durango too.

Another new car I like? The new Chevrolet SS. Oh, and the new Corvette Stingray.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

potownrob wrote:yeah, there are some others, but at least some of VW/Audi's designs are at least potentially timeless. My Jetta is one of the only cars I've had that I have enjoyed turning around to admire as I'm walking away; looks like more than your average compact econocar. The interior design (namely, the dash), while nothing fancy, may prove to be timeless as well.
I agree, some people say that VW's designs are too subtle or bland but timeless is the word I'll use. I know my car won't look outdated for years to come. I also really like the new Golf interior, I'm not sold on the exterior as well. I mean it looks good but I still think the Mk6 looks better.

Audi is also similar in their design strategy. Subtle but aggressive, I don't think Audi has a bad looking car in their lineup.

Oh yea, I really like what Cadillac is doing recently. They are establishing an identity with their vertical looking headlights/taillights and sharp creases in the bodywork. One of the only American manufacturers who are establishing a unified identity throughout their lineup.
Last edited by daleadbull on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 VW Golf R
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

IMBoring25 wrote:What does the new Cherokee have to offer that the Nissan Juke doesn't?
Trail goodies on the TrailHawk trim. For what it is, it's probably the most capable crossover.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I meant in the field of ugly.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

In person the lines are very bulbous and cartoonish.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

IMBoring25 wrote:What does the new Cherokee have to offer that the Nissan Juke doesn't?
Offroad capability. The Cherokee might not be the greatest offroader, but it seems to be far above and beyond most other vehicles in it's class.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

IMBoring25 wrote:I meant in the field of ugly.
Oh...well, both are ugly. But the ugly on the Juke looks a lot better than the ugly on the Cherokee.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I saw a new Mazda3 hatch the other day and it was pretty neat.

I'm going to get slammed for this, but it's the interwebz so who cares. I really despise the new Cadillacs because they look like they've been designed entirely with rulers. There's not a good looking curve in the lot. I never thought I'd find something that makes the early 00s Cadillacs look good.

If Lincoln would get rid of the nose, they might be good.

For the record I really like the Juke and the Flex though
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I have a friend that bought a Mazda 6 (not a stick, unfortunately). It really is a nice looking, comfortable car. I would consider getting one with a stick if I 1) needed to buy another car at this moment or 2) were rich. :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter

Post by daleadbull »

tankinbeans wrote:I'm going to get slammed for this, but it's the interwebz so who cares. I really despise the new Cadillacs because they look like they've been designed entirely with rulers. There's not a good looking curve in the lot. I never thought I'd find something that makes the early 00s Cadillacs look good.
I admit that the sharp edged body style is not my thing, I prefer smoother curves. Still you can't deny that at least Cadillac has a uniform and unique design direction that they are sticking with. I can't say the same for any other American car manufacturer, most are too busy ripping off Europeans/British. For example, look at Ford blatantly copying Aston Martin's grille. smh

I applaud originality.
2012 VW Golf R
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that most manufacturers don't have a corporate face.

Fully admitting my bias, I like most of Ford's new designs. Why shouldn't they make use of their former Aston connection and use that iconic grille? The updated Fiesta looks better than its North American predecessor.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter

Post by daleadbull »

tankinbeans wrote:I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that most manufacturers don't have a corporate face.

Fully admitting my bias, I like most of Ford's new designs. Why shouldn't they make use of their former Aston connection and use that iconic grille? The updated Fiesta looks better than its North American predecessor.
I don't just mean the "corporate face", I mean just similar design elements that represent the brand. Cadillac does this with their chiseled body work and vertical headlights and taillights.

You should be able to look at any car in the range and recognize what brand it belongs to. You can do that with VW's, Audi's, BMW's, Mercedes etc. Now you can do that with Cadillac as well and I think that's a step in the right direction whether I like their design language or not.
2012 VW Golf R
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

tankinbeans wrote:
I'm going to get slammed for this, but it's the interwebz so who cares. I really despise the new Cadillacs because they look like they've been designed entirely with rulers. There's not a good looking curve in the lot. I never thought I'd find something that makes the early 00s Cadillacs look good.
I prefer curvy lines to sharp-edged lines, but I still think the ATS looks decent.

potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Shadow wrote: I prefer curvy lines to sharp-edged lines, but I still think the ATS looks decent.

ATS looks even better in person (at least in black) IMO, other than that rear end...

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.