Are you a standardshift old timer?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Are you a standardshift old timer?

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:headlight bulbs blowing out every 6-12 months
That must get expensive. You should go to a self-service junkyard and harvest a dozen of them for less than the price of one brand new one.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:
potownrob wrote:headlight bulbs blowing out every 6-12 months
That must get expensive. You should go to a self-service junkyard and harvest a dozen of them for less than the price of one brand new one.
i don't like used bulbs, especially used standard output bulbs.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

tankinbeans wrote:
Jetta Guy wrote:I must be the only one on here besides you who kind of likes them.
Not really. I like them for what they are, fuel efficient cars that aren't horribly offensive to look at. If I had more of a city commute I'd likely look at one, used of course, but I drive mostly in the burbs and hybrids aren't really well-suited for that type of driving. There's not much regenerative braking to be had when stop lights are more sparsely situated. A Prius gives you a bunch of space without forcing you to take a mileage penalty by stepping up to a larger car. I get a charge out of the people in Prius (Prioos?) that have mostly freeway commutes that wouldn't allow the battery to really kick in. At that point a Prius is a heavy car with a small engine.

It's a nicely packaged little runabout.

Caveat: I've never driven one and couldn't comment on that, but I've gotten to the point where I kind of like them. The Prius C is interesting to me as well. I'm not in the He-Man Prius-haters club by a long shot.
This is a fairly good explanation for the vehicle. It's nothing fancy outside of the big battery. I've driven a Prius (well, several of them for the cumulative total) well over 1000 miles on roadtrips when I rented them from the dealership for super cheap. They are... boring to drive. It's not just the automatic, it's that it is an average handling, average riding, average interior, decent storage space, above average passenger space, SUPER fuel economy vehicle. The end goal of fuel economy seems to be the reason it was designed and everything else was just made to be decent enough. *shrug* It is what it is, I guess.

You might get a chuckle out of people with freeway commutes, but they can still easily get 45+ mpg with freeway only commute - though a mixed commute/city commute really is where the Prii shine.

The Prius c is a smaller version of the Prius (think like Fiesta or Sonic or similar) that really is for 2 people around town. Yes, it has a back seat, but that's like saying my Fiesta has a back seat. We had to shop around for some of the smallest car seats they make to find one that fit for µSquint. They cheapened up the interior a bit to reduce costs (but still not terrible by any means, just.. cheaper) but they did try to make it more young-adult friendly in terms of layout, accessories available, etc... Not a bad vehicle, but definitively an around town cruiser. You wouldn't want to drive one on a bumpy highway for extended periods of time.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!