RIP Paul Walker

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
IMBoring25

Re: RIP Paul Walker

Post by IMBoring25 »

Shadow wrote:Like I said, we don't' know for sure. You can make all the assumptions you want, but that doesn't change the fact that we don't know if the car was being driven recklessly or not.

What if the car had some sort of mechanical failure? You know, something like a failure in the steering (a broken tie rod, for example) and he driver lost control?

What if a dog or a child unexpectedly ran out into the road and the driver crashed trying to avoid them?

What if the car ran over something in the road that caused a tire to blow out and the driver lost control of the car?

What if the driver had something wrong with him that caused him to lose consciousness and crash the car? Maybe he had a heart attack or a stroke while he was driving the car.

I could go on, but I think my point is entirely clear. Just because it was a sports car that crashed, people are quick to make assumptions that may be incorrect. There are simply too many variables at this point. I'm sure the police will perform a complete investigation. Unfortunately, we'll never know for sure what caused the accident. At least they should be able to rule out stuff like mechanical failure and determine stuff like speed at the time of the crash, but they'll never be able to rule out some of the other things I mentioned due to the fire.
With the Sheriff asserting speed a factor on day 1, they're pretty sure about that. Once that's conceded, all the rest of that stuff is irrelevant.

Professional race car drivers lose it every day, driving cars that are basically rebuilt every 500 miles on a closed, access-controlled course with energy-absorbing barriers surrounding it and a team of technicians to maintain the surface at the best condition it can be. Sometimes they die in that environment too. Sometimes there's a mechanical factor, sometimes another driver does something unexpected, sometimes there's an oil patch that couldn't be seen in time. Sometimes they just make a mistake and momentarily punch through the limit.

The fact is, the closer to the limit one is driving, the more likely the driver is to lose it, with or without additional contributing factors, and the more spectacular the crash will be if it happens. It's not a race track. It's a public road. Stuff happens.

Anyone who's dealt with an insurance company will tell you how difficult it is to be found 0% at fault in an accident. Speeding significantly is begging for over 50%, even in a multivehicle wreck in which the other driver would otherwise be near-100% at fault. Just ask James Dean.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

IMBoring25 wrote:
With the Sheriff asserting speed a factor on day 1, they're pretty sure about that. Once that's conceded, all the rest of that stuff is irrelevant.

Incorrect. The other stuff is still relevant. Anyone can look at a crumpled car and say that speed was a factor. But it's just one factor. There's more to the story than speed. I'm quite sure that we've all exceeded the posted legal speed limit and not crashed our cars, right?
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

I'm really disappointed in the lack of critical thinking skills in this thread. I see mostly assumptions and flawed logic (or at least attempts of flawed logic). Only here on this forum can we make a huge debate out of a tragic accident. Semantics aside, I think I'm done with the debate. This was simply a tragedy involving a famous actor whose life was cut short, nothing more and nothing less.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Shadow wrote:Here's a classic example of irony:

A guy dies of lung cancer at the age of 40, despite the fact that he never smoked in his life. Why is that ironic? Well, because lung cancer is closely associated with smoking and this guy obviously didn't smoke. Plus, he died prematurely from a disease that doesn't typically affect non-smokers.
That's not irony either. Here's the full definition that's potentially pertinent in the situation:
incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity
True irony is rare because it requires incongruity. Your non-smoker is not ironic. Non-smokers do get lung cancer. They comprise around 10-20% of cases. It is unlikely for any individual non-smoker to get lung cancer because of the statistical probabilities involved, but there's no incongruity there.

Someone who stays in the hotel room to take a nap while the rest of the family goes swimming because they're afraid of water and falls victim to a massive water leak from the room above would be ironic.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Like I said, I'm done debating this. You clearly don't understand irony. Nothing more to say here....
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Folks, Paul Walker was an ACTOR. He wasn't a real life street racer. What he portrayed in the movies has nothing to do with how he lived his life. He was a co-owner of AE Performance and his racing was on the track. The Porsche he died in was owned by AE performance and driven by his friend and coowner. The guy driving was an experienced race car driver. Google Walkers car collection. He was an enthusiast and not a street racer. He died coming back from a charity event, which he helped start. He was a down to earth guy and well respected in enthusiast circles.

The car he died in is known to be hard to handle and a few experienced drivers are known to have crashed it.

Have some respect for the guy.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

It's a semantic argument on one level but on another it isn't because much of your argument seemed to excuse hooning (irrespective of whether that was what was happening here) on the basis that spectacular fiery wrecks are rare and sometimes involve additional contributing factors, so one is not a foreseeable consequence of the other.

To those of us who have avoided what would have been serious wrecks legally caused by someone or something else through having been driving responsibly and defensively, that's a sore spot.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

That's unfortunate :( . By all accounts, he was a very decent guy in real life.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

I'm very sad too; I found out about his death while I was on the way to a car show (and that is not ironic, in case you're thinking). I am a big fan of Paul Walker, and not just from his involvement with F&F. He's a genuinely good guy who enjoyed cars, enjoyed what he did, and enjoyed helping others through various causes. May he rest in peace.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

It is very sad, he seemed like a good guy. I saw some videos of him testing a GTR in Japan etc., he seemed like an enthusiast. I wouldn't have guessed that he was 40.

I agree with Shadow that the way he died is ironic but let it go guys. Are we really having an argument about the definition of irony in a thread about someone's death?
2012 VW Golf R
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

BTW, there are some reports that the Porsche was thought to have a mechanical problem that could have caused the crash. Take it for what it's worth, but here's one such report:

http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/02/paul-walk ... luid-leak/

There are other reports claiming that Rodas was racing another car when the crashed occurred. Again, take it for what it's worth...
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

daleadbull wrote: Are we really having an argument about the definition of irony in a thread about someone's death?
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

Post by SonicHKS »

May not be ironic, but its "fitting" in a way. Like if you tell someone not to do something, and they keep doing it, and it eventually bites them in the ass. Its tragic, but also hilarious :lol:.

In every F&F he just looked like a tool. Corny, stupid acting, the most stupid car stuff you could imagine, etc. That and F&F has probably been more detrimental to the car scene than a lot of things over the past 15 years. Neons, shitty paintjobs, fartcans, basically anything "rice" can be traced back to F&F. Not to mention the people who drive those sorts of cars....complete idiots. F&F wannabes are probably the worst thing to happen to the car scene since the 70's. Any benefit from F&F, say making cars more popular, is made up for by the fact that ricer fools make us all look bad.

So his death, while tragic, isn't something I'll grieve for. Hopefully this means the end of F&F :twisted:
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Thank DOG that they didn't take anyone else out when they so skillfully swerved to avoid the elephant in the room.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

SonicHKS wrote:May not be ironic, but its "fitting" in a way. Like if you tell someone not to do something, and they keep doing it, and it eventually bites them in the ass. Its tragic, but also hilarious :lol:.
Yeah, it's hilarious :roll:

You're an idiot. You've managed to prove that time and time again.