Bought a piece of history

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Bought a piece of history

Post by AHTOXA »

Gramps didn't own a civilian car.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:Gramps didn't own a civilian car.
OK, so you buy some military surplus vehicle. It would be too cool if he had been a tanker or a fighter pilot, but with your luck,....
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

f**k you, rope. Uncalled for.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Jastreb
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3, Blue

Post by Jastreb »

Congrats Tony. Two guys at work also have this rifle and they love it. Let us know how it is to shoot. I assume the surplus ammo is steel core? Aren't there restrictions about shooting that? Also, did it come with the stripper clips as well?

Wow, your father is almost as old as my grandfather. Born in 1937 in Eastern Ukraine and evacuated to the Urals with family before the Germans came. Only reason was that my great-grandfather was an engineer at a factory that was getting re-located, so he got to go with his family.

I've been thinking of getting a firearm, and this would be pretty sweet to have, but I'll be moving soon and don't have a good place to store it. Maybe I'll just get a Nagant revolver.
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:f**k you, rope. Uncalled for.
Aw come on Tony, don't keep it all bottled-up inside you - Yule get an ulcer!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote:f**k you, rope. Uncalled for.
I think I've missed something.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Jastreb wrote:Congrats Tony. Two guys at work also have this rifle and they love it. Let us know how it is to shoot. I assume the surplus ammo is steel core? Aren't there restrictions about shooting that? Also, did it come with the stripper clips as well?

Wow, your father is almost as old as my grandfather. Born in 1937 in Eastern Ukraine and evacuated to the Urals with family before the Germans came. Only reason was that my great-grandfather was an engineer at a factory that was getting re-located, so he got to go with his family.

I've been thinking of getting a firearm, and this would be pretty sweet to have, but I'll be moving soon and don't have a good place to store it. Maybe I'll just get a Nagant revolver.
Yeah, some ranges have restrictions on shooting steel core bullets. I actually ran into that today at one. I know the one by me allows but it was raining most of the day and it is an outdoor range. Most indoor ranges do not allow because of their steel backstops and fixtures - risk of ricochet.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Took the rifle to the range earlier this morning, even though it was about 35* when I got there. I shot 100 rounds through it and she shot well. Groups were pretty tight, and I suspect that this old gal will easily outperform this shooter here.

Luckily, the range near me is about the only range in the DFW area, that allows steel-jacketed FMJ rifle rounds. Most ranges do not and you have to get out into the sticks in most cases.

Now, it's time to order military surplus 7.62x54R ammo. Can't beat 440 rounds for $80
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650